CTX addiction

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert Le Mal said:
following up on a find from 2 Dec at Williamstown (see above).

Was showing a mate some of the "treasure" I've found. Was playing with what looked to be a very crusty 20c piece, so badly covered in baked junk that you couldn't make anything out. I chipped a little of the rock hard 'Williamstown fudge' off the rim and noticed a pattern that didn't look like the edge of a 20c piec.

Next time I will clean anything I can't identify!
I have been after a florin for a long time - and all this bl**dy time it's been sitting there right on my desk under the lamp looking at me. Doh!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co..._beach_2_dec_2014_suspect_crusty_coin_fin.jpg
Nice one Rob :D
My CTX is having problems finding it's coil at the moment
Needs to go to minelab for repairs
So using an ATPRO which is still doing it's job
But I miss the lab?
EM

Robert Le Mal said:
following up on a find from 2 Dec at Williamstown (see above).

Was showing a mate some of the "treasure" I've found. Was playing with what looked to be a very crusty 20c piece, so badly covered in baked junk that you couldn't make anything out. I chipped a little of the rock hard 'Williamstown fudge' off the rim and noticed a pattern that didn't look like the edge of a 20c piec.

Next time I will clean anything I can't identify!
I have been after a florin for a long time - and all this bl**dy time it's been sitting there right on my desk under the lamp looking at me. Doh!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co..._beach_2_dec_2014_suspect_crusty_coin_fin.jpg

Bet that was a nice surprise, though the target ID should be a dead giveaway that it wasn't a 20c, considering they pop up pretty low in the conductive range. Better go back and check all those crusty coins for more hidden silvers. ;)

@Silver - yes a bit sneaky and me a bit lazy, won't let that happen again.
@Eurekaman, that's a bummer, I am so reliant on my CTX I'd really miss it. Hope your probs are sorted soon.
@Golpick. Got another lump I have to gently break apart, but it feels like a big washer (fingers crossed it's a holey dollar hey??? Not really). I've never dug a florin before and that combined with all the crap on the outside meant I didn't pay as much attention as I should have to the numbers. All a learning experience, only been at this coming on a year now.

Fair chance the 925 ring is silver. Common stamp for american/australian stuff rather than hallmarks.

Theres a few places in Melbourne who have xrf machines which will give an accurate analysis of metal content. Gold Stackers is where I go to get nuggets and jewellery tested. They normally dont charge but instead welcome donations to a kids charity.

Hey Ground Noise, thank you, I will look up Gold Stackers when I (hopefully) get the gold band back from the cops. Probably only worth $100 or so but I'd rather have that. As for silver rings between my wife & daughter there isn't much left in the metal detector booty box :) they don't seem as interested in the pre-decimals though.

went back to Williamstown last night late as the tide was out & wind dropped a bit.
Happy to find some of the sand had moved away from a favourite spot. Not a great deal but enough to keep me busy.
1420613061_booty_williamstown_6_jan_15.jpg

US quarter and another penny (I've pulled about 9 from this same patch now).
I thought the "23" was from a key ring but it looks like it might have come off an old door or locker?

1420613137_booty_williamstown_6_jan_15_b.jpg

I suspected this crusty blob was junk jewelry but after finding a florin covered in crusty smeg I thought I should investigate. Was just a hair clip but very badly corroded.
Initially I thought it might have been a butterfly shape but there you go...

couple of those $2 coins look like they were there for a while, was the crusty smeg retrieval method a hammer ?

:) close.... I used the plastic handle of an old screw driver though I might as well have used a hammer.

Yeah a lot of the darker or crustier stuff was deeper, only wish more of the beach would open up.

need a big cyclone to come down off the coast,..all the way to Tazzie,...just to stir the waters and rip the sand away(for all of us).

silver said:
need a big cyclone to come down off the coast,..all the way to Tazzie,...just to stir the waters and rip the sand away(for all of us).

Yep, definitely need a couple of ex-cyclones down our way, the sand is drowning our beaches. ;)

been a while since I posted. Haven't had much spare time that wasn't free from serial migraines this has stopped me diving several times (hence no more videos).
However I'm learning to use the CTX on dry land again.

1431227957_2_may_brunswick_2015_a.jpg

found this and a Roo penny plus $8+ in modern coinage in one small park in Brunswick last Saturday 2 May.

Bit surprised but happily so. My daughter's class are studying WW1 so she took it for the kids to handle. Nice timing.

was tired last night but decided to hit another spot I've been looking at.
And I have to say thank you to the Duck for his advice in terms of maps, that plus the internet is a really good way to guess where to look.

1431228188_9_may_15_melb_booty_baby.jpg

there's an equal amount of bottle tops, tyre weights, and odd bits of copper & brass you don't see. The CTX is excellent at marking out both old & new ring pulls but I still dig the odd one just in case... in every case what I dug was crap (just like the CTX indicated).

1431228303_9_may_15_melb_hide_n_de_carle_damaged.jpg

while you look at this you can hear a man crying, softly onto his keyboard. It was a deep target and I thought maybe a Roo penny. Being dark I couldn't see what I was doing (I work without light mostly). This giant bloody thing leaps out of the hole followed by the hand spade. Straight off I see the lion & know it's not an Aussie coin. But it sort of is. And worse when I get it home and wash the dirt off I've totally wrecked it!!!!! Eighteen freaking fifty eight. This is my oldest coin and I ruined it :-(

other stuff... from last night.
1431228530_9_may_15_melb_couple.jpg

this thing is 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm and looks like brass coated with something.
I only brought it home because I thought I might use the brass for something. Anyway it was weirdly regular in shape. I gave it a quick wash just to see if I could find markings on it... I thought it might have been part of a machine.
Then these two appear. I can't tell if they're movie stars and this is some sort of weird drink coaster? The way the photo is printed reminds me of tin type fotos except these two look like they're from the 1950s and that style of photography stopped in the 1860s.
Any ideas anyone?

They look happy. A just moment buried for a long time.

I was a busy little beaver last night - so busy I didn't realize I r**ted my shovel.
1431228841_9_may_15_melb_busted.jpg

Still I did find it under Princes pier last year and cut it down. It has done excellent service since then and I've abused it.
Time for something stronger. Anyone have suggestions? Short, strong and not so noticeable would do the trick.

1431228931_9_may_15_melb_thripence_1898.jpg

Until I cleaned the Hide & De Carle token this was my oldest coin found to date... both on the same night! 1898 3 pence.

Hey Westaus,

thank you for the link. I am bleeding over the damage to something of historical value. I have always wanted to find one of these and I suppose I did 8.(

Latest posts