Torquay???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct place for it but.... has anyone hunted on the beaches around Torquay?

I've tried Altona, Williamstown, Mornington and Brighton with mixed results (Willy was most disappointing).
I have a CTX 3030 and don't mind wading in up to my chest. Best results have been in cuts at very low tide (tides at the moment aren't great).

Usually I just enjoy being in or near the water even if the weather is crap - I'm not aiming to get rich ;-)
Any advice on Torquay would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

Not about the beaches at Torquay but I'm sure you'll find something, closer to home try Sandridge Beach down by the lifesaving club at the Webb Dock end .... Only had a short time down there but judging by the crap I was picking up didn't look as though it was done on a regular basis (think 1 of the mods does the Willie/Altona area?).
My intention is to hit the camping areas once Easter is over, assume a lot of junk but sure to be some treasure amongst it all.
Good luck, Tom

thanks for the suggestion Tom, I have been down there once but only worked the dry sand as I had an XTerra 305, found an empty shell for a very large calibre rifle, and a spent round something like .223 calibre... and some coins plus lot and lots of crap. Most of the coins came from the sand right in front of that building (life saving club??) and the rest were in a spill way along the beach to the east. I did find an entire shovel under a pier further along which with the help of an angel grinder is now an excellent digging tool that would also stop zombies.

Good luck with the Easter sweep.

Let me see i do elwood, stkilda, willi, altona, brighton, pt melb, sth melb, torquay, barwon heads, apollo bay, sandringham, and hampton beaches, as well as every tot lot within 20 kms of me

Parks are still of limits for me i wont go in them if they are dry no ovals only the outskirts but its raining and the beaches as you have found out are dead
Im still getting a small amount but im in research mode at the moment trying to find the next new spot which as you have found out is not to easy
we need a storm to hit the beaches in melbourne then it will be on for young and old but need a real storm and some big waves
Pm me and i may have a spot if your down torquay way that i havent done but could be good

Hi Duck... it's funny you mention the beaches because I was down at Williamstown working the dry sand about 2 weeks ago with my green plastic shovel trailing behind me and a bloke approached me and asked "are you the duck?".
Thinking this was some sort of code word or secret signal I said "no" and kept going. Seems you are known but may be confused with CTX owners who sport moustaches????
Yes some storms moving sand away from whatever goodness lurks beneath would be a great thing.
I will PM you about any pointers you may be kind enough to share.

Robert

Ah see im the one who drags my sand shovel behind me to grid the beach at willi as well, and you will know its me as i will have some sort of tesoro in my hand
I have sent you a message im going up the goldfields so the beaches are all yours this easter

you sound much better organised than me griding with the shovel, I just hooked mine to the back of my belt so I didn't have to carry the thing with my off hand. Thanks for the tips and good luck on the gold fields.

In all the years I spent living in that area, Torquay is more of a surfers beach near the Surf Lifesaving Club, and a sailors beach over the other side where the ramps are (not so much family orientated, ie crowd gathering) although the park areas along there could turn up some goodies. If I was still in that area I'd go the extra few k's to Anglsea where the river mouth is, it is a haven for families with small kids and gets very crowded on warm days. Search from the lawned area on your left while driving south to the river mouth and turn right along the surf beach.

the duck said:
Let me see i do elwood, stkilda, willi, altona, brighton, pt melb, sth melb, torquay, barwon heads, apollo bay, sandringham, and hampton beaches, as well as every tot lot within 20 kms of me

Duck, next time just say "All of Aus is mine" That will save you the typing :p

ok so I took DaBilda's advice and tried Anglesea, also because I noted that The Duck didn't specifically mention that beach.
1397124836_anglesea_april_2014.jpg

I seem to find car keys a bit. Next week I'm hoping for a Rolls Royce.

Hi Tom,

all the stuff found in wet sand, almost all roughly half way between low & high tide marks. The car keys came from a spot in the rocks, most of the fishing sinkers came from near there too - I am guessing it's someone's favourite rock fishing spot? Local life saving club was closed otherwise would have dropped the keys in their lost property, the keys look like a recent drop.

Best regards

Robert

If you're down that way why not check out some of the 'concert' site down that way, always meant to go to the Lorne area where they have thae"Falls Festival', lots of music beer/Drugs (??) got to be some loose change in that area.
Cheers Tom

that sounds very sensible, if I lived closer I'd give it a try but... I suspect someone closer has probably already hoovered up all the dropped coins. Could be wrong?

I live on the mornington peninsula so it's easy for me to nip out for an hour after work. With daylight savings over its a pain. I detect from port sea to dromana with great results. This years tally is over $300 in coin many rings and watches. Many people hate the terrorists(tourists) coming down here but I say bring them on. Only if they lose things ;)

LOL ...... Big difference between Portsea and western beaches, they lose more expensive stuff over their, you're in with a chance of a real Rolex, we can only find Asian rip off copies.
Love finding it no matter what,
Cheers Tom

the duck said:
Ah see im the one who drags my sand shovel behind me to grid the beach at willi as well, and you will know its me as i will have some sort of tesoro in my hand
I have sent you a message im going up the goldfields so the beaches are all yours this easter

I think I saw you at Williamstown Beach in January on a hot warm night detecting the sands 50 metres away from the restaurant about 12.30 in the morning.

I was detecting the water and further away from me there was a guy in the water as well.

The guy I saw does what you do and leave marks in the sand and the machine he had looked like a tesoro.

Latest posts