Etrac adventures.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So,... when you are going over the same ground that you have covered with the Alditecta, using the Etrac, what is the shallowest depth at which you are finding targets that you have definately missed with the Alditecta ?,.... are you still finding shallow targets ? or are they now all only deeper than 10-15 cms ?
Heatho said:
silver said:
So Heatho,... where would you put the floor of the Alditecta after your new insights ?

Aldi is good for shallow surface finds mate but not very good if anything is deeper than 10-15cm, it has it's advantage on some things like fast target recovery so you can cover plenty of ground cleaning up recent drops, it's a great cheap introductory unit but it does miss alot of good stuff as we are seeing from the last 2 days finds as I worked this ground hard with the aldi. The Etrac has brought this spot back to life and shows how much good stuff is still there.

Might hit the same spot again today for a couple of hours.

Still getting a few shallow targets around 5cm deep and a couple even on the surface but not many, I put that down to the Aldi 8 inch coil not covering as much ground and me not being too accurate with it, also I think a few medium depth coins were on their side and not flat, the aldi will sometimes totally miss coins on weird angles. It will sometimes even reject sunbaking goldies for reasons I don't know, it prefers buried coins I've found during tests......

The Etrac is detecting some stuff so deep that I didn't even attempt to retrieve some of the targets as I don't have a good plug cutter, I'll buy one soon though. I spoke to a council ranger yesterday and he said he doesn't care how deep I dig as long as I stay off the playing fields and stick to the sidelines and other areas. So that sort of gives me a green light to cut some neat plugs on the deeper stuff, was a good bloke to talk to. He was impressed when I showed him junk I'd removed.

Even the ACE250 can loose those just under the surface goldies sometimes, but once you are aware that that can happen you soon get on top of it,... it only ever seemed to happen for me when I would confuse the overload sound when pinpoint scanning with the thoughts of it being alluminum can bits or screwtops,... once I realised to look at the size of the signal and the depth I didn't miss them anymore,... mind you I did dig up more screwcaps as well going over old ground in the seach for missed targets.
Heatho said:
Still getting a few shallow targets around 5cm deep and a couple even on the surface but not many, I put that down to the Aldi 8 inch coil not covering as much ground and me not being too accurate with it, also I think a few medium depth coins were on their side and not flat, the aldi will sometimes totally miss coins on weird angles. It will sometimes even reject sunbaking goldies for reasons I don't know, it prefers buried coins I've found during tests......

The Etrac is detecting some stuff so deep that I didn't even attempt to retrieve some of the targets as I don't have a good plug cutter, I'll buy one soon though. I spoke to a council ranger yesterday and he said he doesn't care how deep I dig as long as I stay off the playing fields and stick to the sidelines and other areas. So that sort of gives me a green light to cut some neat plugs on the deeper stuff, was a good bloke to talk to. He was impressed when I showed him junk I'd removed.

Another few hours on the etrac tgoday yielded $19, 1x florin, 2x sixpence and 2x threepence and another pile of BB's. Also found some really weird heavy piece of metal with "Royal Australian Navy" stamped in it, it's very heavy for it's size. Got a penny too.

Etrac is awesome.

1436430302_20150709_173501.jpg

1436430302_20150709_173748.jpg

1436430302_20150709_180348.jpg

silver said:
Even the ACE250 can loose those just under the surface goldies sometimes, but once you are aware that that can happen you soon get on top of it,... it only ever seemed to happen for me when I would confuse the overload sound when pinpoint scanning with the thoughts of it being alluminum can bits or screwtops,... once I realised to look at the size of the signal and the depth I didn't miss them anymore,... mind you I did dig up more screwcaps as well going over old ground in the seach for missed targets.
Heatho said:

Pretty much the same deal with the aldi mate, I learned to check when there is a signal and then no sound, nearly always is a sunbaking $1. Makes you wonder why it happens..... As you said though if you know it happens it's easy to check for a coin.

Spent 1 1/2 hours this morning on a park I've been over with the Aldi, got $31.50 and only 5 junk targets. The etrac is outstanding at goldie hunting, once you have the tone and readout sussed it is just fantastic for cherry picking certain targets you are after. Was only digging shallow targets today as my legs are sore from squatting so much detecting over the last few days.

1436518230_20150710_172305.jpg

Cool, took my son out today, to teach him detecting on the aldi. He was finding aluminium, screws, washers etc at a decent depth. I knocked back the sensitivity to half, and he easily found the dollar I planted. Then 15mins later, he detected, pinpointed, and popped his first 2 buck goldie all by himself :) His school mates were amongst the crowd of kids watching.

rocketaroo said:
Cool, took my son out today, to teach him detecting on the aldi. He was finding aluminium, screws, washers etc at a decent depth. I knocked back the sensitivity to half, and he easily found the dollar I planted. Then 15mins later, he detected, pinpointed, and popped his first 2 buck goldie all by himself :) His school mates were amongst the crowd of kids watching.

Awesome Rocket! :)

Latest posts