CTX addiction

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be very nosy in your neck of the woods ... that is how I get rid of 90 percent of the spectators ... wade out into the water with the headphones on and pretend I can't hear them! I don't mind chatting with the locals but it cuts down on detecting time ... especially when they aren't interested in listening to you but want to tell you all they know about detecting, the beach, lost jewelry, and anything else they can think of. Especially old people ... they are looking for someone to talk to so I don't even make eye contact with them... I gotta thank Goldpick again for putting me on to night detecting ... spectators are far and few between and are not so interested in talking if you do see one!

Your targets are the indicator that old treasure has surfaced for some reason so I would be out hitting that area again and again I am sure it holds some gold for you! SA Bogan found the same Indian coins on our beaches too!

sometimes I do tend to pretend headphones are like a cone of silence. Mostly I'm left alone in the water, maybe it's the moustache. Kids can be a problem in that I have to gently remind them not to walk in front of me - they dance around as if I'm just about to dig up a treasure chest. I have been known to get a signal (they can't here there isn't one since I'm wearing headphones) pull up 2-3 scoops of sand and tell them the detector thinks there's something either in the sand I've dumped or maybe just a little deeper in the hole, this allows me to walk off....hehehehe. Evil I know.

cheating a bit since today I took the Excalibur out so I can get used to it before I take it diving.
The threshold changes volume, tone and then continues going nuts most of the time, tried a few different things - in the end just turned the threshold down so I couldn't hear it which I don't like. However every tone delivered something. Like Williamstown the sand has moved in a few spots at Altona, southerly was again a b*tch.
1418015753_925_ring_with_stones_altona8_dec_14.jpg

1418015753_altona_8_dec_14_with_excalibur.jpg

dont even know what the HTC thing is except maybe something you plug headphones into?
The ring looks like junk but weighs a bit, has 2 small pink stones (the third is missing) also has "925" stamped inside. Does this mean it's just silver plated? Has almost a pale yellow tone to the metail.

would say 925 PL more than likely(I could be wrong)Robert.

Hi Silver,

I should actually google it but I thought 925 was just for silver? Is it also a mark for other metals?

only if you read the numbers wrong(apparently I did recently),...I think PL stands for plated otherwise 925 by itself is just supposed to be silver.
Robert Le Mal said:
Hi Silver,

I should actually google it but I thought 925 was just for silver? Is it also a mark for other metals?

That would be just sterling silver vs plated, so got yourself a nice ring. The HTC item I think is a mobile battery pack - same as the one on the left?

1418026382_dsc_0153.jpeg

Robert Le Mal said:
Hi Silver,

Don' think so - it may have been a gold plated ring on sterling silver and the gold is wearing off - any ring is a good ring IMHO :)

sorry guys I thought I posted a response but it's not here? Thank you for your thoughts.

In anycase wife seems happy enough with sterling silver ring, will take it to a jeweler and see how much it will cost to replace the missing stone.
Want to get back to that spot at a lower tide.... there's more there...

1418176471_10_dec_2014_altona_cxt3030_pier.jpg

low tide was at midnight ... water was warmer than the air, sand is still moving around. Nothing exciting, the rest of the sunglasses are still out there, not unhappy with the modern spendables though.
The CTX wasn't cheap (even second hand) but it's something I don't regret at all.

Peace brother,...even warmer than the air, it still would have been a test to get in the briny sea at that hour,..looks like the fishing was good as well.

hahahaha you noticed Silver. I was wondering if someone would see the reflection (I am standing naked too - just kidding).

Yep peace brother, quiet and the time to metal detect. I think that sums it up.

1418791653_20141217_142552_resized.jpg

1418791653_lock_broad_arrow.jpg

was trying out a Gopro on my hat & mounted on the shaft of the CTX, so I was just hoovering the ground around an old railway track which is loaded with junk (surprise surprise) did find some roofing lead though.... and this lock which I thought was another piece of crap until I accidentally levered it right out of the hole.

Looks like it would work if I could find the key!
Broad arrow would mean ex military or government issue? No other makers marks on it.

Will put up a link to the video when I figure out how to edit it on my less than new computer.

Robert, here is some more info regarding the " Board of Ordinance" arrow mark:

"28th July 1806. The Board having been pleased to direct that in future all descriptions of Ordnance Stores should be marked with the broad arrow as soon as they shall have been received as fit for His Majesty's Service; all Storekeepers and Deputy Storekeepers and others are desired to cause this order to be accordingly attended to, in the Department under their direction, reporting to the Board in all cases when articles are received to which this mark cannot be applied

From that day to this the broad arrow has been used to stamp or brand just about everything supplied by the Ordnance capable of bearing such a mark. It is not only a certificate that the article has been examined and found to be fit for the Service, but also serves to identify Government property in case of theft etc. When the stores are condemned for any further use, a second inverted broad arrow is superimposed above the first (thus /\ ), and the item can then be disposed of by the Department.

The Board of Ordnance provided for many Government departments besides the War Office and the Admiralty, including the settlements in Australia (then the various Colonies). When it was desired to clothe the convicts in such a matter as to identify the convict in case of escape, the Ordnance simply daubed its Broad Arrow stamp all over the garments furnished. This practise of marking convict clothing with the broad arrow only ceased in some prisons about thirty years ago. This meant that what was originally a regal emblem also became a stigma of shame for those compelled to wear the convict clothing.

The symbol of the broad arrow is evident in many of the early Government buildings in Australia where the mark has been embossed in every brick used

in the site. These bricks were usually hand made and the work of convict labour. A fine example of this practise is seen in the old Perth Town Hall.

The Broad Arrow is still in use in the Australian Army and the Department of Defence to identify Defence owned property, although it has now been embellished by adding two capital letter D's to the broad arrow and now appears as the symbol (DD)."

thanks for the info Goldpick.
The old railway line crossed a road I was near, wonder if there was some sort of gate or boom that was locked.... or maybe a shed near the crossing?
Will never know, but this padlock obviously belonged to the government at some point.
Interesting.

following up on a find from 2 Dec at Williamstown (see above).

Was showing a mate some of the "treasure" I've found. Was playing with what looked to be a very crusty 20c piece, so badly covered in baked junk that you couldn't make anything out. I chipped a little of the rock hard 'Williamstown fudge' off the rim and noticed a pattern that didn't look like the edge of a 20c piec.

Next time I will clean anything I can't identify!
I have been after a florin for a long time - and all this bl**dy time it's been sitting there right on my desk under the lamp looking at me. Doh!

1420082720_willi_beach_2_dec_2014_suspect_crusty_coin_fin.jpg

yeah, and I can't wait for the section of beach to reappear again - got a few bits from that spot.

That darn sneaky florin,...what darn good luck,....look good guilded I'd suppose.

Latest posts