complacent

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wake up call today, got out of the car, walked about 50m through leaf ltter, and very nearly stepped on the biggest death adder I have ever seen, thicker than my arm, and about 3 to 4 big blue tounges in size, really big one, I was wearing thongs.

Code brown !
Rough stuff for a heart starter,
Some people would just have a coffee.
Glad you werent sporting a flailing adder on the scarper to the car.
Did you stay still and wait for him to move off,... or slowly tread backward through the dung pile? :eek:

Ooops!

I had a chill when I read your post - I hate the slippery suckers

8) :eek:

I reckon a Death Adder is the worst snake of the lot.
Their fangs will go through nearly any thing like heavy leather boots and the like.
A snake that size would have fangs around 20mm long like hypodermic needles.
When I used to catch them for milking, Would pick a leafy spot and start raking.
Rated as the fastest striking snake in the world. I thought they were one behind a
Black Mamba but,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acanthophis

Lucky you were wearing your Japanese safety boots. When I was living up at Daintree the Death Adders were extremely common along the beaches but rarely seen due to their camouflage. In the seven years we were up there I never heard of one attack.

rotor said:
Of all the snakes I've met in the bush - never seen an adder ...... so I guess you must just be lucky :rolleyes:

That's because they bury themselves under leaf litter with just their nose exposed 8) they've probably been a few that have seen you though. I've never seen one either when I was traipsing over WA :|
Jon

Very dangerous hidding under leaf litter! Didn't realise they are related to the mamba and the cobra .......... nasty!

Just did a search for death adder camouflage images and they also bury themselves in the sand by the looks of it. I saw one of these at a zoo somewhere and they are really hard to see studying the pen let alone walking through the bush.
Jon

Not long ago was walking through a flood plain and my mate said very calmly look out wel I was too busy looking for pigs to worry about where I was standing and stepped straight on an olive python, was very thankful it was a python still got the heart rate up after that was very cautious of where I stepped

Spotted the bloody thing about 1m from my right foot.
It never moved, walked back to the car, put my boots on, went, back, still there,same spot, same position. Half under leaves and bark, head and neck exposed, and a bit of mid section and about 20cm of tail exposed, the rest invisible. Only snake ive seen in about the last 18months.

Your a lucky man Dave,
When I was a young bloke. I was riding my old KTM300 out the back of Swifts Creek in Victoria. I was just getting to the top of a mountain and as I came around a corner. I stumbled across (what looked like) a short, but very fat Tiger Snake crossing the track. It was about 600-700mm long, fat as a Blue Tongue with a rapid tapering of the tip of its tail with obvious banding. My mates all said it must have been a Tiger that was still digesting it's meal. No way! It was a Deathadder for sure. I've seen plenty of you'r standard Victorian snakes and this was not one of them. The Deathadder location maps don't show them this far south, but they are. The GDR stretches the length of the East Coast and where I saw this one is not that far from the Deathadders recognised most southerly locations.
Beautiful looking snake by the way. Yellowish orange.

Nightjar said:
goldtruck59 said:
all snakes should be shot !!! give me the creeps horrible things. Glad you are ok. Boots !!!
GT :)

Why???

Because they are slippery slimy mongrel bastards of things that when they bite you can kill you. That's why. Pretty self explanatory really.
Plus they give me the creeps.
If you like them mate , good on ya. I have no problem with that
GT :)

Ive seen plenty of them over the years, but none the size of this thing. Most of the the ones ive seen were about the size of a blue toungue, this one was 4 times as big.

in the Kinglake national park as a boy scout we found the biggest tiger snake any of the leaders had ever seen it was about 6 feet long and as thick as your fore-arm,due to its size and been right around the camp they decided to kill it, funny thing was when we got up at 5am it was gone and no=one including the leaders claimed to have touched it, nervouse time for the rest of the week end.

Glad to see you not only got through the first encounter but went to check on him a 2nd time.

Also nice to know that he didn't just go for you like some other snakes probably would have. With that size you probably didn't scare him.