Attack of the camels!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was taught by my Grand father that the Kurdaicha man wore feather shoes made from emu feathers and was a type of Aboriginal magician who hunted down those who had committed crimes against tribal law. I think that featherfoot was also refered to as the Kurdaitcha Man.

This from Google:
Also spelled as kurdaitcha, gadaidja, cadiche, kadaitcha, or karadji)[1] is a type of shaman amongst the Arrernte people, an Aboriginal group in Central Australia. The kurdaitcha may be brought in to punish a guilty party by death. The word may also relate to the ritual in which the death is willed by the kurdaitcha man, known also as bone-pointing. The word may also be used by Europeans to refer to the shoes worn by the Kurdaitcha, which are woven of feathers and human hair and treated with blood.

The Bone Pointing was very serious and when a person became aware that he/she had been subject to a bone pointing they would almost invariably become ill. waste away and die. You don't mess with the Kadaicha man.

Bone Poiinting ceremony .
1614893557_rscn1918.jpg

From Man Eating Camels to Feather Footed Bony Finger Pointers.
When one points the finger there are three pointing back at themselves.
We could now include Yawies into this Topic i doubt Westozadventures would mind.
There is a group of South Sea Islanders in Nth Qld with the Surname Yowie.
If you have met a South Sea Islander they are very big compared to Aboriginals.
Makes me wonder if the name Yowie was used by Aboriginals to describe Sth Sea Islanders.
There pretty scary when you see one walking a beach in the dark at night.
No offense to Sth Sea Islanders you are lovely natured breed of people.

Then again Arthur Beetson was pretty big and scary.
He walked into Emu Park Hotel with his two brothers in the early 80`s.
Everyone moved out of the way including myself.
Strange also Aboriginals were not allowed in that Hotel back then.
Which question arises was Arthur Aboriginal or Islander.

Bush said:
Then again Arthur Beetson was pretty big and scary.
He walked into Emu Park Hotel with his two brothers in the early 80`s.
Everyone moved out of the way including myself.
Strange also Aboriginals were not allowed in that Hotel back then.
Which question arises was Arthur Aboriginal or Islander.

I worked Ted, Arthurs brother in the 80's, they're Aboriginal

I don't like camels either Westoz.

My mate and I were in the Pilbara and had come to a creek that we had to cross. We got out of our vehicles, he went one way and I went the other. I was focussed on the creek banks and not paying much attention to what was around me. Then I heard a shout from my mate 'see the camels', I turned and there was a mob of them about 100 m away all running directly towards me. I was initially startled, stepping backwards then turned and started running back to my vehicle. At that point my mates dog started off towards them with my mate trying to call him back. It was commotion with barking and what not, and finally the dog came back and they turned and trotted off the other way. If my mate hadn't spotted them I don't know what would have happened.

Another time I was in a creek in a gully miles from camp and working back towards camp when I spotted a big camel about 30 m ahead of me. The gully was very steep and had narrowed right up upand it would have been very difficult to climb out of. I went up on the opposite creek bank to the camel, wondering what to do. It had seen me but I was now out of direct sight so I picked up a sizeable stick and snapped it which gave off a sharp crack - I was hoping to scare it. It didn't work. So I just kept going as close to the gully wall as possible and we gave each other the hairy eyeball and all was good. Still scary though, miles from camp and very remote.

I'm not early thirties either, I'm 60 something, so just trying to run in rough rocky country with detector, pack, pick in your belt, can be very dangerous and land you in more strife than what you are trying to avoid.

So camels are one animal I worry about out there (along with wild dogs and scrub bulls). I don't have a firearm, but I do carry pepper spray. Giving them a face full of that might just buy enough time to get the hell out. By the way, thats one reason why I use a speaker, not headphones. I like to hear what's going on around me.

bit of a tip mate, pepper spray any bull - camels included and more than likely that will be your last bottle of spray..

Sounds like you go outback quite a bit, I were you I'd drop into a station and find out when they muster, offer your labour for a day and learn how to move bulls on and even then, it comes with great risk!

Last thing you want, is to stir a bull up even more "particularly" after he's shown aggression to you, pepper spray oh man, no no no!

Stingray said:
Thanks for the tip BigL, I won't be doing that in a hurry then!

Seriously Stingray, I think you'd enjoy a day working with cattle mate.. who knows, they may even point you in a direction to prospect!

I prefer not to explain online how its done, hands on mate is the only safe way to learn

Westozadventures I had goosebumps reading about the feather foot and your puma/panther encounter. Firstly I would not be going any place near the spot you say you saw the feather foot. Seeing one is a fair warning. Secoundly I want to know what area you had the puma/panther encounter. I bet you get lots of people who dont belive you. I was one of them untill my wife and I saw two panthers run accross the road in front of us about 10 yeara ago. I hace heard of bull camels chasing people before. They can be aggresive snots.

shakergt said:
I was one of them untill my wife and I saw two panthers run accross the road in front of us about 10 yeara ago.

I'm a believer, as are my folks & former farming neighbours. We've all seen them on seperate occasions in the same area up the Vic high country... we had sheep slaughtered by them

I've also seen one in WA too & where I saw it would make your jaw drop

Some pics of Featherfoot AKA Kadaicha Man.

Made them tough back in those old days.
Come face to face with one of these blokes on a dark night, you might need a change of dacks Aye??!!

1615187373_rscn1928.jpg

1615187403_rscn1929.jpg

1615187524_rscn1930.jpg

Feather shoes.
1615187435_rscn1931.jpg

30/30 is the go westoz.....has a loud enough bark on it and will drop anything within 100metres. Don't forget that camels are a top quality meat....one of my fav's actually.

Moneybox said:
Prospectors should check out the rules and penalties that apply to carrying firearms onto pastoral lease in Western Australia.

Easy peasy Moneybox...it's legal to carry a licenced firearm....it's not legal to discharge that firearm without authority.

Goldtalk Leonora said:
Moneybox said:
Prospectors should check out the rules and penalties that apply to carrying firearms onto pastoral lease in Western Australia.

Easy peasy Moneybox...it's legal to carry a licenced firearm....it's not legal to discharge that firearm without authority.

Tony, I may have been mistaken but when we got our miners right I thought there was a penalty for even carrying a firearm on crown land.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22124

Hii Moneybox, Mining act (1978)...section 5a (d) (i)

(d) when so passing or repassing
(i) take all necessary steps to prevent fire, damage to trees or other property and to prevent damage to any property or damage to livestock by the presence of dogs, the discharge of firearms, the use of vehicles or otherwise; and

Refers to the discharge but not the carrying.

But I'll add to that......I think for the most part firearms in the bush are a pain in the arse. I only carry one if we're out in the desert and only as a 'deterrent' for camels and/or dogs or if I need to euthanize an animal . If I am carrying a firearm on pastoral land....and if it's occupied.... usually I will speak to the pastoralist and make sure they are comfy or leave the gun in their safe...not that I have ever had an issue. I dont need to do that under law but it's a respect thing.

1615521525_kurdaitcha.jpg

Noticed a pair of these shoes in a store up here in FNQ a few months ago and thought they were interesting apologies about the poor quality photo.

- Soles are made of emu feathers and the uppers from human and animal hair.