Bought a detector - need some advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Im new to this forum (and detecting) and need some advice.

I've been reading a lot and just picked up a used Fisher F19 with three coils (Fisher 10 x 5" camo Coil, Mars 13x10" Tiger Coil, Fisher 5" round Coil) all for 699aud. It's in good condition and I think I got a fair deal. I bought with the intention to do some beach detecting with the kids and a foray into the WA gold fields for a couple of weeks (Im thinking Cue area)

Having pressed the button on the F19 I kept on reading and am now starting to wonder whether I will be wasting my time trying to prospect with a VLF due to the soil conditions in WA.

So I have three questions which I would really appreciate some help with;

- Will the F19 stand a good chance to find some gold if I am in the right place or will the WA soil render it pretty much useless?
- Which of the coils I have for the F19 would be the go to for prospecting?
- If I get out there and the F19 isnt working out then is there somewhere local that I can hire a GPX for a couple of days (I search on google but not finding anyth current in the vicinity - I don't want to hire in Perth as the the prospecting will part of a much longer trip up north)

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out with some advice...

I don't know anything about your Fisher but a VLF will still find gold in WA but it takes a bit more to tame it down. Mrs M found gold with the White's GMT before she got the SDC2300 but you'll work a lot harder for it. I would guess that the smaller the coil the better but I'd be starting out with the 10 x 5".

Thanks moneybox. Its good to hear that i have at least some chance with a VLF. I was concerned that I had concentrated to much on finding some ground to go over and not what I was going to be using over that ground.

Hi phil001,
If you learn how to really get your new machine talking to you, you will certainly detect gold with a VLF machine. And as already mentioned in previous post, it is still hard work with plenty of time learning the machine...it was also the same when I first got my 4500...it does require hard work to get the best out of any machine.
I still run my Tesoro VLF over my selected area it is 20 years old and still has found more gold than my 4500! In saying that the 4500 with an evo12 on the end is better in that nasty ground.
You can use the VLF in some places where the 4500 is too affected with EMI in the vicinity, also the small elliptical coils are useful in tight places and nasty undergrowth.
You can really learn a lot about prospecting with a VLF before investing a larger number of hard earned dollars for a glx etc. you can now take your time in deciding on a new detector going into the future while learning how to find the best place to find gold.
Have fun and good luck!
Cheers
Diablo

Thanks for the responses - its good to get some feed back and hear that my F19 should be capable for some prospecting in WA and not be a waste of time.

If anyone can suggest which coil would be the better choice to start with from their own experience in WA then that would be a real help.

I cannot help you mate but there are many on this forum using VLF detector they will be able to help . Have a look at youtube you should pick up some tips regards john good luck :Y:

Thanks for the feedback guys. First beach hunt this afternoon, I think I need to practice a bit before going prospecting .....

1521901642_img_3462.jpg

Glad to hear that its not just me sucking up the rubbish and keeping the beaches clean ....

Latest posts