Beauty, Australia has Won the Olympic Bid

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Asutralia has won the Olympic Bid, :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

That should kick start the economy, :Y:

Is it a really win if no other country wanted them ......... should be getting paid for hosting them rather than lashing out on IOC committee members freebies to get them to vote for us.

The only thing sorrier was the yippee from Scomo when the decision was announced (probably prerecorded weeks ago.

Jeez, some blokes are hard to please, a good news story, the Olympics are coming to Australia, think of the boost to the economy, we are going to need it. Who gives a damn if it was pre recorded footage or it was pre-ordained that we would win because no one wanted it. As a nation we now have a chance to showcase Australia to the world. Small business, hospitality, tourism are all bleeding, this will give many something to work towards.
As a nation we do sport well both playing it and holding major events. As a nation we are going through the toughest of times since the depression, this gives us something to get behind.
I for one am pleased its coming, I know some may not and thats fine.

Manpa said:
Jeez, some blokes are hard to please, a good news story, the Olympics are coming to Australia, think of the boost to the economy, we are going to need it. Who gives a damn if it was pre recorded footage or it was pre-ordained that we would win because no one wanted it. As a nation we now have a chance to showcase Australia to the world. Small business, hospitality, tourism are all bleeding, this will give many something to work towards.
As a nation we do sport well both playing it and holding major events. As a nation we are going through the toughest of times since the depression, this gives us something to get behind.
I for one am pleased its coming, I know some may not and thats fine.

I agree, I'm not really in to sport but the Country needs something to bring it together, by that time C19 would have done it's worst and a lot of wounds will need to heal and this is could be a good thing. :Y:

The Economics of Hosting the Olympic Games

The costs of hosting the Olympics have skyrocketed, while the economic benefits are far from clear. This has led to fewer states interested in playing host and a search for options to lighten the burdens of staging the big event.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/economics-hosting-olympic-games

How about we put the $10 billion estimated cost (watch that grow) into revitalising our manufacturing industry, building affordable housing, and modernising our ageing infrastructure.

Does anyone think that such unfashionable types of social investment might have an economic return?

I wonder if the economic and social return to our younger generations might not be somewhat higher than the fleeting sugar hit to tourism expected from the Olympics.

I can understand both sides of this debate. A great spectacle but with an economic benefit argument thats often flawed and over hyped. When Adelaide "lost" the Grandpri to Melbourne most people were understandably upset and I have great personal memories of the event here but behind the scenes we were burning serious tax payer cash to run the thing that a small state like ours could never really afford ( confidential payments were just the start ) Still have some nice roads around the CBD left over from it though. Hopefully we can run this olympics with out the credit card. Maybe we will have to bring back cheap events like the sack race or apple bobbing :playful:

Wow!

Sack racing, apple bobbing, chariot racing, nude wrestling.........all of a sudden I'm starting to take an interest in the Olympics. :)

Have to be more interesting than the current bread and circuses dished up to keep the plebs distracted and amused.

I get some people dont like sport and the Olympics does that mean we shouldnt strive to have them in the Australia and the Southern Hemisphere. If that is the case, in simplistic terms please shut down all the funding to the arts as well as Im not into musical theatre, playhouses, cultural festivals etc. :playful:

Manpa said:
I get some people dont like sport and the Olympics does that mean we shouldnt strive to have them in the Australia and the Southern Hemisphere. If that is the case, in simplistic terms please shut down all the funding to the arts as well as Im not into musical theatre, playhouses, cultural festivals etc. :playful:
Good idea Manpa :lol: :lol: :Y:

Manpa said:

Yeah. Bring the Gladiator ring back.

Manpa said:

To suggest that opposition to the elite spend-fest that is the modern day Olympics is based purely on a dislike of sport is a very superficial analysis......and I use the word analysis loosely.

How about we spend the $10 billion (and rising) on mundane things like:

o cheaper tertiary education for our younger generations, in order to create our next generation of scientists and engineers
o replacement of our aging infrastructure like crapped-out coal power stations,
o improving an outdated and overloaded health system,
o creating the means to process and value-add to our abundant natural resources instead of shipping them overseas as boatloads of dirt
o completing our once held plan of having a fully fibre internet network
o strengthening and modernising our defence capabilities given the developing situations in our neighbourhood

You get the drift....feel free to add more to the list....it is almost inexhaustible.

Solid Luck said:
Manpa said:

Yeah. Bring the Gladiator ring back.

We've already got that in Netball, Rugby, AFL, boxing-even cricket sometimes!!

Latest posts