Beach / Sand Scoops - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldpick said:
Nice design Ryan, very similar to my Indiana scoop except for the pointed front. If I can make a suggestion, the first area on my scoop that failed (stress cracks in the welds) was the front edges on the top of the scoop (see pic), some extra bracing here will make a world of difference to the longevity of the scoop. Also the section highlighted in the rectangle eventually snapped clean in half, so don't skimp on metal thickness in this spot. Good luck with the build. :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1425661995_img_20150307_034311.jpg
Thanks for the advise GP I will move the gusset back a little and increase the material thickness.
Unfortunately any tool that is subject to the abuse that digging requires will cause some detrimental stresses eventually.
I intend to make them out of aluminium, so will be replacing strength for weight and portability.
I have a dual pulse mig that welds ally like tig quality. So I won't be concerned about the weld on the unit.

Mac urban said:
Looks awesome Ryan how much u gonna flog em off for?
I am hoping to sell each unit for amount the $100 mark. This is without the handle. The purchaser can then buy a handle from a local hardware.
I can supply a handle for a little extra, however this will add to the freight cost.
Unfortunately it is an item that is not in excessive demand, so volume will be low and manufacturing costs high.
I Wil do my best to keep the price as low as possible.
Cheers Ryan

Very nice Ryan.
Is that cad drawing system or similar?
Do you have machine/sheet shop?
Ive made a few different scoops myself ... By hand.
There is quite a bit of work involved if you dont have the right tools for the job( naturally)
I thought i might have been able help out a couple of local fellow forum members with a scoop but sadly,found the cost/ time was too far out of practical reallity. But like i said ... By hand... Holes ... So many holes... Punch,, pilot,, drill :( and i have a job to work so time was a factor also(work,detecting,sleep ...There isnt much time left in between) :lol:
The handle mounting setup is always going to be the ' problem' . As Goldpick pointed out problem points , handles too will be a weak point. SA Bogan is right about all s/s handle included , but ,boy-o-boy its heavy :( ( and i have actually bent these too)
Replacing a replacable handle every so often is probably the best trade off option. But a good solid base mount is critical
Looking forward to see how you go with it all

Sandta said:
Very nice Ryan.
Is that cad drawing system or similar?
Do you have machine/sheet shop?
Ive made a few different scoops myself ... By hand.
There is quite a bit of work involved if you dont have the right tools for the job( naturally)
I thought i might have been able help out a couple of local fellow forum members with a scoop but sadly,found the cost/ time was too far out of practical reallity. But like i said ... By hand... Holes ... So many holes... Punch,, pilot,, drill :( and i have a job to work so time was a factor also(work,detecting,sleep ...There isnt much time left in between) :lol:
The handle mounting setup is always going to be the ' problem' . As Goldpick pointed out problem points , handles too will be a weak point. SA Bogan is right about all s/s handle included , but ,boy-o-boy its heavy :( ( and i have actually bent these too)
Replacing a replacable handle every so often is probably the best trade off option. But a good solid base mount is critical
Looking forward to see how you go with it all
Hi Sandta
The drawing was done on Autodesk Inventer.
I have fabrication business with a few tools to do the job. The unit will be CNC laser cut so drilling holes will be a breeze :)
I agree with all in regards to the handle being super strong.
The problem is that Stainless steel is a very expensive material to work with. Couple that with prospectors who are price sensitive and you have a whole new topic on how expensive stainless sand scoops are.
You will find the majority will opt for the next best ( Cheapest option ) every time!
My scoop will do the job and be robust enough the satisfy most beach goers. However if you are someone who detects on the beach every day then a more expensive stainless model may suit.

Will do Mac,
I'm in the middle of a large project, but hopefully will be onto it after the coming school holidays.

Cool , what state do u live in and if I come across one I'll be sure ro give u a heads up if I still require one .
Cheers Andrew.

Mac urban said:
Cool , what state do u live in and if I come across one I'll be sure ro give u a heads up if I still require one .
Cheers Andrew.
Melbourne. Don't stress, I will making a few soon regardless so if your still in the hunt for one I will post when they're ready.

All good I'll still buy one I didn't realize rhe kids are on holidays so soon I'm in Melbourne aswell so no need for postage I'll come and pick it up when its ready .Cheers.

Ordered this baby from the States before I saw R27's great design, but am happy with the quality and finish of this T-rex stainless scoop. I'll be keen to give it a workout on the weekend.
1426222182_20150313_140951.jpg

Gday ozzie looks bloody good mate what'd that sting ya landed if ya don't mind? Also be good to hear how it goes especially in wet sand.
Cheers Andrew.

Latest posts