THE CLYDE RIVER GOLD DISCOVERY.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

THE CLYDE RIVER GOLD DISCOVERY.

ALLUVIAL GOLD AT BROOMAN.

(From Our Special Correspondent.)

Nelligan, Tuesday. When I arrived at Nelligan on Thursday night last the people here were astonished when making inquiries about the reported gold find on the Clyde River. From information received from one gentleman I proceeded to Brooman, distant 20 miles north of Nelligan. I was accompanied by Mr. Hewitt, proprieter of the Steam Packet Hotel, Nelligen, who kindly acted as my guide. The ride was a very rough one owing to the state of the roads after the recent heavy rains. In the absence of a bridge over the Clyde River, we were compelled to swim our horses at Mr. Selick's crossing. This gentleman kindly lent us a boat for that purpose. As there is a deal of traffic on this road the Government should at once construct a bridge over this river. I arrived at Brooman at noon, and after waiting for some time obtained an interview with Mr. Samuel Clugston, farmer and dairyman. He informed me that he rented Brooman farm, and had seven years lease of the same from Mr. Francis M'Mahon, at present residing in Johnston-street, Annandale, Sydney. The farm consists of 1280 acres, and was formerly an old grant, and purchased some years since by Mr. M'Mahon. When I asked him if any gold had been recently found on his farm he at first hesitated to say whether there was or was not, but eventually acknowledged that some four weeks since, while his son and himself were obtaining a drink of water at a certain creek on his farm they accidentally came across a payable alluvial find. He at once communicated with Mr. M'Mahon and asked him for a permit to mine on his land, giving him a detailed account of the prospect obtained. Mr. M'Mahon wrote him at once stating that he had made application to the Mines Department for a permit, but would not be able to obtain the same for some time. He again wrote, informing Mr. Clugson that he might expect him any day armed with a permit. Mr. Clugson cannot make out how the Evening News and Town and Codntet Joubnal could have got hold of the information, as he had never mentioned the matter to any person except Mr. M'Mahon. Mr. Clugston is an old miner, and his opinion is, in the event of the field being opened up, that good wages will be made, and that there will be room for 1000 men. Mr. Clugston will not divulge where he found the gold, except Mr. M'Mahon makes certain concessions to him. The grant is marked thus on the map: VoL 55, No. 787, No.1, parish Albert, county St. Vincent, Edward Lord, 640a; voL 55, No. 93, No. 2, parish Albert, county St. Vincent, S. L. Adair, 640a.' Broenan can be reached by three different routes. By boat from Sydney to Nelligen, thence by boat or vehicle. .Sydney to Nowra by train, thence by coach via Milton. Sydney to Ulladulla, by steamer, thence on foot to Brooman. There are two mails to Brooman per week, one from Nelligen, and the other from Milton. This is a very likely country, and many practical men are of the opinion that if this field is open it will prove a good one.
Braidwood, Tuesday. A prospecting party of six left here yesterday for Yadborough Creek, a tributary of the upper part of the Clyde River, where rich gold was recently reported to have been found. News from the party is expected in a few days. Meanwhile there is a strong belief here that a good field will be opened.

Evening News (Sydney, NSW 1869 - 1931) Tuesday 27 March 1894

SALTING A CLAIM.

'I wish you would explain to me all about this salting of claims that I hear so much about,' said a mook-eyed tenderfoot to a grizzly old miner, who was panning six ounces of pulverised quartz 'I don't see what they want to salt a claim for, and I don't understand how they do it.' 'Well you see in a hot country like this they have to salt the claims lots of times to keep it. A fresh claim is good enough for a fresh tenderfoot, but the old timers won't look at anything but a pickled claim. You know what quartz is, probably ? No. Well, every claim has quartz some more and some less. You find out how many quarts there are, and then put in so many pounds of salt to the quart. Wildcat claims require more salt, because the wildcat spoils quicker than anything else. Sometimes you catch a sucker too, and you have to put him in brine pretty plenty, or you lose him, That's one reason why you salt a claim. Then again you often grub-stake a man. 'But what is a grub stake ~ Well, a grub-stake is a stake that the boys hang their grub on so they can carry it. Lots of mining men have been knocked cold by a blow from a grub-stake. What I wanted to say though was this : you will probably at first strike free milling poverty, with indications of something else. Then you will no doubt sink to you strike bed rock, or a true fissure gopher-hole, with traces of disappointment. That's the time to put in your salt. You can shoot into the shaft with a double-barrelled shotgun, or wet it, and apply it with a whitewash brush. If people turn up their noses at your claim then, and say it is snide, and that they think there is something rotten in Denmark. you can tell them that they are clear off and that you have salted your claim, and that you know it is all right.' The last seen of the tenderfoot he was buying a double-barrelled shot-gun and ten pounds of rock salt. There is no doubt but mining camp is the right place to send a young man who wants to acquire knowledge and fill his system full of information.

Kilmore Free Press
December 1881

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/

1448945383_thumb.jpg
Thanks mate just got back from out that way. ;)

Latest posts