Any gpz buyers concerned about being alone in the bush with 10k

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone else think the purchase price is a tad unrealistic?

.....or am I on my lonesome?

Not trying to shTcan the product at all, just wondering what others think?
Cheers.

Hi PB, it is overpriced, but I thought the same about the 5000 that I bought around 9 months ago which has paid for itself 6 times over after costs (Fuel etc.)
When my spots dry up with the 5000 I too may buy one, but at the moment I am pulling nuggets every trip so I wont trade the O'l girl just yet :D

Oldfella said:
Same here, NRMA under Portable contents - (Sporting and recreational items). Only upped my insurance cost by around an extra $40 or so per year.
Cheers for sharing mate. I could not go down the AAMI path after two horror runs in making legitimate claims on unrelated policies and ever since have voted with the wallet.

With the amount of dollars wrapped up in prospecting gear I have sitting around best to do some investigating. Probably could be another useful thread. I did enquire when moving but hit a full stop when asking for extended cover. The poor bloke on the other end was like "Um what exactly is a trommel sir?" Highbankers had him equally stumped although he understood the pumps situation. I'll check out your suggestion and maybe do a cover swap.

Thanks again pa members to the rescue.

I understand that expensive equipment is precious and that we will do what we can to keep them. This is a bit left of field but there are satellite trackers that you could attach to your detector and turn it on when you are away. It is pretty small, sub $200 (+ less than $20 pm subscription) and if you attach it I would guess that someone would not know that it wasn't part of the detector. Size: 51.3 x 68.3 x 21.4 mm Weight: 87.9g. Every 5 mins it pings your GPS coords to your own web page, you can follow your own tracks and/locations and if it gets pinched you can get there before the cops.... I have one in my car but can easily remove it and attach it to any of my toys.

All you blokes are wondering if there any idiots out there who would harm a detectorist or steal his gear, short memories for those who have forgotten!!! a detectorist by the name of Bruce.S from Cooktown was on the Palmer with a couple of his mates and bang no more Bruce?? never to be seen again...... the mongrels who supposedly did this are going through the courts, first time was in Dec 2014...adjourned to 2015??.

I shouldn't have to teach how to suck eggs when I say that gold detectorists and landholders aren't necessarily bosom buddies when detectorists roam all over their properties without permission, as it happened, there is a breaking point.
I have a mate who will not even step out side his door without a bang stick, or another mate has commented he will not detect alone, he sets up cameras in strategic places near his vehicle and a few other places for those coming and going.... I'd be a fool to ignore some of the low lifes checking out the vehicles.. where they come from only they know, but one thing is for sure the price of the new detectors is out there on top shelf..... no matter how much we think we have them all secure and locked up, think again, being extra careful only stops the honest bloke or blokette from straying across to the wrong side of the tracks.
If you are in a dodgy area and are unsure of what or who are in the vicinity, go with a buddy get a set of cameras and give your self a head start on the establishment.
Cheers Everyone
BJ

BJ Bates said:
All you blokes are wondering if there any idiots out there who would harm a detectorist or steal his gear, short memories for those who have forgotten!!! a detectorist by the name of Bruce.S from Cooktown was on the Palmer with a couple of his mates and bang no more Bruce?? never to be seen again...... the mongrels who supposedly did this are going through the courts, first time was in Dec 2014...adjourned to 2015??.

I shouldn't have to teach how to suck eggs when I say that gold detectorists and landholders aren't necessarily bosom buddies when detectorists roam all over their properties without permission, as it happened, there is a breaking point.
I have a mate who will not even step out side his door without a bang stick, or another mate has commented he will not detect alone, he sets up cameras in strategic places near his vehicle and a few other places for those coming and going.... I'd be a fool to ignore some of the low lifes checking out the vehicles.. where they come from only they know, but one thing is for sure the price of the new detectors is out there on top shelf..... no matter how much we think we have them all secure and locked up, think again, being extra careful only stops the honest bloke or blokette from straying across to the wrong side of the tracks.
If you are in a dodgy area and are unsure of what or who are in the vicinity, go with a buddy get a set of cameras and give your self a head start on the establishment.
Cheers Everyone
BJ

Thank you Walter White [joking]

I agree guys, always be prepared for any event out in the bush!

Was a bit dismayed by others here having a bit of laugh and giggle about it all with the 'She'll be right', there's never anyone around where i go, attitude.

I used to think the same and not worry about that sort of thing too much, but one particular trip taught me otherwise.

Now im not talking about an overnight weekend outing with a few mates, this was a trip where i was way off the beaten track, camped on my own where i had been working an area for the past few weeks quite successfully, and not seen a sole.
When i say on my own, it was just me and my trusted German built personal security system named 'Bear'. Now Bear has more loyalty, courage, strength and smarts than a whole platoon of Marines.
I play fight with him often and let me tell you, this bloke has the jaw strength of a Salt Water Croc, and is just as unfriendly towards strangers.
Its no wonder the Police, army etc use mainly this breed. They are simply the ultimate in personal protection.

This is him when he was almost 12 months old.....He is 2 now, a little bigger and around 75kg

swby93.jpg

2nixq84.jpg

Anyway, one afternoon i was at camp, relaxing with a beer, charging the detectors and swapping over coils when i heard a diesel motor approaching.

Once it came into view, it was a short wheelbase 4x4 Patrol with 2 blokes onboard who slowed on approach to my camp. Bears hackles went up and he let out a deep belly growl, but he wont move from my side unless i let him.
These blokes had a good gawk at my camp as they passed by slowly, gave a short wave and continued on.....I thought it strange they were out here, but figured they are just 4 wheel drivers or fellow prospectors and thought nothing more of it.

Some hours later that night we went to bed, I sleep in the tent and bear sleeps outside at the tent door. I dont have to chain him cause he wont go anywhere away from camp while Im in that tent.

Next thing i know, Im woken in the middle of the night by Bear who is going off his nut barking.
I have spent just about everyday for 2 years raising my mate and I can tell just by the tone of his bark, that something is wrong and he means business. It wasn't just a yap saying 'Dad, Im hungry'......any dog loving person will know what i mean.

As i started unzipping the tent door and he knew i was awake, he took off at full speed and full noise.
By time i got out of the tent he had travelled 50 or more meters into the bush so i let out one of my whistles which i trained him on, I could make out his shadow...he stopped, turned his head to me, turned his head back and thats when i swear i saw faint intermittent torchlight flickering through the trees probably a few hundred meters further away, and heading away fast, kinda like someone running on foot with a torch or headlamp on.
Another whistle and he hesitantly came back to me.

Now i cant prove anything, and I will never know for sure, but something or someone was out there that night. For what reason or intentions, I will never know.

Was it the same guys who drove past earlier that afternoon, i dunno, but i had that funny uneasy feeling in my gut that your sixth sense gives you.....most of you will know what i mean when i say that.

Whatever or whoever it was, they are just damn lucky that Bear never got to them.
I sat up for the rest of the night, but never heard or saw anything else and Bear got a 2am snack of juicy fried lamb chops!

A dog is a mans best friend!

In all my years away out bush, this is the only time something strange like this has ever happened, and i hope its the last......99.9% of people i have met out bush are honest, friendly and always helpful.

Just saying always be vigilant guys n gals!

Regards

Metamorphic said:
I agree guys, always be prepared for any event out in the bush!

Was a bit dismayed by others here having a bit of laugh and giggle about it all with the 'She'll be right', there's never anyone around where i go, attitude.

I used to think the same and not worry about that sort of thing too much, but one particular trip taught me otherwise.

Now im not talking about an overnight weekend outing with a few mates, this was a trip where i was way off the beaten track, camped on my own where i had been working an area for the past few weeks quite successfully, and not seen a sole.
When i say on my own, it was just me and my trusted German built personal security system named 'Bear'. Now Bear has more loyalty, courage, strength and smarts than a whole platoon of Marines.
I play fight with him often and let me tell you, this bloke has the jaw strength of a Salt Water Croc, and is just as unfriendly towards strangers.
Its no wonder the Police, army etc use mainly this breed. They are simply the ultimate in personal protection.

This is him when he was almost 12 months old.....He is 2 now, a little bigger and around 75kg

http://i62.tinypic.com/swby93.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/2nixq84.jpg

Anyway, one afternoon i was at camp, relaxing with a beer, charging the detectors and swapping over coils when i heard a diesel motor approaching.

Once it came into view, it was a short wheelbase 4x4 Patrol with 2 blokes onboard who slowed on approach to my camp. Bears hackles went up and he let out a deep belly growl, but he wont move from my side unless i let him.
These blokes had a good gawk at my camp as they passed by slowly, gave a short wave and continued on.....I thought it strange they were out here, but figured they are just 4 wheel drivers or fellow prospectors and thought nothing more of it.

Some hours later that night we went to bed, I sleep in the tent and bear sleeps outside at the tent door. I dont have to chain him cause he wont go anywhere away from camp while Im in that tent.

Next thing i know, Im woken in the middle of the night by Bear who is going off his nut barking.
I have spent just about everyday for 2 years raising my mate and I can tell just by the tone of his bark, that something is wrong and he means business. It wasn't just a yap saying 'Dad, Im hungry'......any dog loving person will know what i mean.

As i started unzipping the tent door and he knew i was awake, he took off at full speed and full noise.
By time i got out of the tent he had travelled 50 or more meters into the bush so i let out one of my whistles which i trained him on, I could make out his shadow...he stopped, turned his head to me, turned his head back and thats when i swear i saw faint intermittent torchlight flickering through the trees probably a few hundred meters further away, and heading away fast, kinda like someone running on foot with a torch or headlamp on.
Another whistle and he hesitantly came back to me.

Now i cant prove anything, and I will never know for sure, but something or someone was out there that night. For what reason or intentions, I will never know.

Was it the same guys who drove past earlier that afternoon, i dunno, but i had that funny uneasy feeling in my gut that your sixth sense gives you.....most of you will know what i mean when i say that.

Whatever or whoever it was, they are just damn lucky that Bear never got to them.
I sat up for the rest of the night, but never heard or saw anything else and Bear got a 2am snack of juicy fried lamb chops!

A dog is a mans best friend!

In all my years away out bush, this is the only time something strange like this has ever happened, and i hope its the last......99.9% of people i have met out bush are honest, friendly and always helpful.

Just saying always be vigilant guys n gals!

Regards

Good advice from a bad experience Meta,
last winter I was in the bush out at Lal Lal in the GT in very steep hard country for a few hours and I heard a vehicle in the next valley.
about 40 minutes later I had the feeling I was being watched so I subtly glanced behind me and spotted a bloke hiding behind a tree.
so I called him out for hiding and at 1st he hesitated but when I began to walk towards him he fessed up.
he had a detector and was checking me out to see if I had been digging very much.
when your head is down with ear phones on you need to be aware of your surrounds.
take care in the bush and don't forget The Belangalo State Forest.
Cheers Steve

Haha meta I'm having visions of the local scouts out for a bushwalk during the night only to hear a large dog and start fleeing for their lives. I had a dog with the same temperament when I was younger, left him in the car in mildura once only to come back with one of the locals fighting for his arm back, claiming my dog was aggressive. I knew full well he would only latch onto an arm if it was somewhere it shouldn't be. Spending time one on one is time well spent.

Brutus and me said:
Love this story Matamorphic. Brutus comes with me wherever I am.
Nothing can beat a great dog

Amen brother!

Brutus.....love the name and sounds like a top mate you have there!

@GT.....Lmao, yeh mate i too had visions of poor old Ma and Pa Kettle trying to set up camp in the middle of the night but i did venture over to the general area the next morning and couldnt see anything.
No wheel tracks or footprints i could see anyway......was a weird and somewhat scary experience!
Now im starting to wonder about the theories surrounding the ghosts of 'the old timers'.

Most of you will know that out in the middle of a state forest, late at night, you can hear a stick 'crack' from 100 yards, so you can certainly hear a vehicle from much, much further.....I was dead to the world so heard none of that.
But Bear can smell you approaching from just as far i reckon.

Was a strange night ;)

stoyve said:
Good advice from a bad experience Meta,
last winter I was in the bush out at Lal Lal in the GT in very steep hard country for a few hours and I heard a vehicle in the next valley.
about 40 minutes later I had the feeling I was being watched so I subtly glanced behind me and spotted a bloke hiding behind a tree.
so I called him out for hiding and at 1st he hesitated but when I began to walk towards him he fessed up.
he had a detector and was checking me out to see if I had been digging very much.
when your head is down with ear phones on you need to be aware of your surrounds.
take care in the bush and don't forget The Belangalo State Forest.
Cheers Steve

Yeh that certainly is a bit worrying Steve, why cant these prospectors do their own homework and find their own spots?

It just aint cricket doing that sh*t, which brings me to my point, you just never no what your going to come up against out there!

Belangalo State Forest?........Gee thanks mate, now i wont sleep tonight hehe! ;)

Cheers Steve!

Meta

"Brutus.....love the name and sounds like a top mate you have there!"
Hes a great boy, English staffy, looks tough but a big sook.
Will lick you to death if I am around, if im not well you take ya chances lol.....
Top mate????? Without a doubt, I am guessin more since both my daughters have said I love him more than them lol

Good thieves are opportunists and excellent risk assessors ... Unattended vehicles locked or not are their specialty. If they come across your vehicle in a remote area, like when you fish in a hard to get place or detect away from the vehicle ... That is when the risk is highest.

I wouldn't think anyone would be game enough try and take it out of your hands ... ?

My grandfather used to keep a snake in his 4x4 it loved it . It didnt like strangers ended up being to big for the truck and started stalking the grand kids. Old poppy got buried in the finest pair of snake boots . He always had a story about how crime was on the rise! cause the snake caught another fella feltching his truck when he was in town.

Had weird experience today in kamarooka top end of the whipsticks.
Felt eyes on me so I straighten up take of the headphones and see a dark green Ford in the distance and someone hanging out the window with binoculars looking in my direction.
As soon as I started walking to him he took of.

Kinda freaked me out a bit.
Are we allowed to carry a knife while prospecting?
I will be next time and not my little pocket knife.

I'm thinking of investing in the 7000 so I'm a little concerned after today.

Some of the Dueling Banjo Area's around here, I would never go camping or prospecting by myself.
Never.
And also after a few nasty experiences out in the middle of no where.
Don't get me started...

Yea that's strange mate ,you would be assuming they were checking out your gear.
A question on a different note, if you see a fellow detectorist out in the bush would/should/do you approach them for a chat or move along?

A very good question Mattem!

Paulmarr said:
Good thieves are opportunists and excellent risk assessors ... Unattended vehicles locked or not are their specialty. If they come across your vehicle in a remote area, like when you fish in a hard to get place or detect away from the vehicle ... That is when the risk is highest.

I wouldn't think anyone would be game enough try and take it out of your hands ... ?

Its not the gear thats of major concern in this topic for me, its what you find with that gear that does funny things to the human spirit and makes men take greater risks than they normally would.

I can here you all saying, "How would they know what you have found"?.....fair question!

Let me put this scenerio to everyone......How often have you been out in the goldfields and come across others out there? Said g'day, and struck up a friendly conversation with them, comparing equipment, idle chat about technique, locations etc.

How long has it been on average till the question arises....had any luck? Its usually in the first few minutes of meeting isnt it?

Now lets just say you have had an incredible couple of days with your knew Zed and are as excited and impressed as all hell by your superb decision making abilities in purchasing one yeh.......I mean, why wouldnt you be.
Im talking a few ounces or more.
Your bursting at the seems to boast about how good this thing really is right!

You dont know them from a bar of soap but what would you say to them when asked this question in this scenerio?

Would you show them the evidence?

I would be interested in hearing any responses to this.

;)

Latest posts