⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the chunky type of gold from that area.

You must take the high banker down another time and move some serious dirt!

Awesome photo, thanks for sharing!

1402393957_uncle_trevs_lot.png

1402393972_uncle_trevs_lot_2.png

1402393987_uncle_trevs_lot_3.png

1402394001_uncle_trevs_lot_4.png

Went for my first stab in the dark today with the pan at Tallarook and got this little 0.3 grammer nuggy :)

1402398792_nans_nuget.jpg

Nice pick up with the pan ..... silly question though "stab in the dark" as to location or panning by moonlight? Just wondering if the better pickers come out to play at night :)
Well done, Tom

Teemore said:
Nice pick up with the pan ..... silly question though "stab in the dark" as to location or panning by moonlight? Just wondering if the better pickers come out to play at night :)
Well done, Tom

Thanks mate but this nugget although I found it actually belongs to someone else.

Stab in the dark = barely researched the area.

Quite a special story to this one....

Purposely didn't use a map, just drove and followed fete in memory of my 96 yr old grandmothers passing on Saturday.

Took notice of some totally non-prospecting related names of things and that marked the spot.

I just believed!

Beagleboy said:
20xwater said:
Went for my first stab in the dark today with the pan at Tallarook and got this little 0.3 grammer nuggy :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2569/1402398792_nans_nuget.jpg

My uncle use to own a farm in Tallarook. I did not realized that was a gold bearing area. Well done.

June 1867: Chinese miners making excellent wages on Reedy Creek - new rush close to
McKenzie's homestead. Shepherd's Reef Co. let their claim on tribute. Magenta &
Solferino Co. tunnel in about 250 ft - still very hard. Albert Reef taken up by
Thompson & party. Leviathan Co. wound up. Phoenix GMC, Wild-dog, abandoned
claim. Sailor's Reef Co. putting up new battery of six stamps - water-powered.
Ryan's waterwheel battery, Sunday Creek, kept constantly employed - Ryan's Reef
gave 975 oz from 325 ton - a small party of alluvial miners make fair wages sinking
near the machine. Hunt & party, Mt William, suspended operations. Pyalong,
#Tullarook#, and King Parrot Reefs abandoned.30

20xwater said:

Purposely didn't use a map, just drove and followed fete in memory of my 96 yr old grandmothers passing on Saturday.

I just believed!

Sorry for your loss, we're looking after a 91 year old aunt, they get pretty fragile at that age.
NIce to just go for a drive sometimes visiting old haunts and reminising, do it occasionally and then just sit and remember old times, friends and what we used to get up to ... sadly many of these places don't resemble what they were in dare I say it the "old days".

Good luck on your trip north. Tom

meant to add, judging by one of your later posts you seem to be a fan of he old Mining Registrars Reports (or is it from someting similar)

Teemore said:
20xwater said:

I just believed!

Sorry for your loss, we're looking after a 91 year old aunt, they get pretty fragile at that age.
NIce to just go for a drive sometimes visiting old haunts and reminising, do it occasionally and then just sit and remember old times, friends and what we used to get up to ... sadly many of these places don't resemble what they were in dare I say it the "old days".

Good luck on your trip north. Tom

meant to add, judging by one of your later posts you seem to be a fan of he old Mining Registrars Reports (or is it from someting similar)

yeah, I just google key words on an area and look for pdf's to download to my research folder. :cool:

Sorry to here that 20x.. My 96 year is only holding on till my cousin (her grand daughter) has her first child in a few week, Lets hope she keeps
fighting.

Nice piece of gold by the way

I found through trove a company applied for a lease near home and they were not approved so that's another spot for me to search :)

Tried for an Adelong dig Saturday but was flooded out of our usual spot so came home via a little looksie around Kiandra. Sunday morning there was a fresh dump of snow on the ranges across the lake, it was raining and not looking particularly inviting for anything outdoors. So being a good princess I sucked it up and headed for Numeralla. No rain, blue sky broke thru ocassionally and I got a bit of gold from 2 shots thru the Wal

Note distance the Wal has been moved from car.

Got to love a bit of chunky, makes a difference from Yambulla fine.

you guys would already know about water pumps and cold places ?

drain the water out of your pump overnight in case it freezes and cracks the housing or damages the seals

hope have fun playing with the brass monkeys mate :D

ps , did you get all that gold from just that small hole ?

HeadsUp said:
you guys would already know about water pumps and cold places ?

drain the water out of your pump overnight in case it freezes and cracks the housing or damages the seals

hope have fun playing with the brass monkeys mate :D

ps , did you get all that gold from just that small hole ?
I lub my Wal/Thornado too much, they have a rug beside the fireplace inside. I was actually pretty stoked as I usually pull up to this locale, do a couple of sample pans here and there and then get into it. Yesterday I thought I'd just go in blind, do a couple of hours and hope for the best, so I just pulled up there got the Wal out and started digging. About and hr later, with the hole nearly done I thought it wouldn't harm to have a quick clean out - bingo one nice little piece that wasnt to keen on sliding out the Wal. Best part of the day was when a local showed up, we had a chat and he gave me the grand tour of the area, pointing out historic workings and generally passing on great insight and info (was not into fossicking himself)but happy to impart knowledge (left me feeling warm and fuzzy - from karma NOT bromancing).

Nice Gold T, farout gotta get the detector in around there, will be down in Spring without fail. Kicking myself for not getting there before. I don't like Numeralla in Winter, though Gold like that would help relieve the shivers.

Latest posts