Todays hunt results.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe there are other videos showing how to pinpoint more accurately with the ACE250,...I have no problems homing in on a target, and with the propointer I make sure(99.999% of the time) that I don't scratch a coin and tear away any value it might have if it's a rarer one.

thats the way mate. im yet to have a pinpointer. Dont really need it where i am. But it would make things much easier. I think ill get the explorer II when a good second hand one comes available. Until then im stuck with the at gold, darn :p

Got out this morning at 3.am for a look,..found a few BBs and some goldies,...and a SILVER,...and a little something else as well,.....the plot thickens...
1421793458_sam_8578.jpg

1421793458_sam_8579.jpg

Mmmmmmm I wonder what it is ?
1421793459_sam_8581.jpg

Bang Bang (gotcha again) :cool: .
1421793459_sam_8582.jpg

Ooooooyyeah,...Lone Star Stampede cap gun(complete) that's what it is.
2nd on in a few weeks that's complete,... just needs a soak in mollasus for a tiy little while to see if I can free up the workings(like the last one did).

Hi ho silver, that's a great nights work.
I bade one of those stampede cap guns in the 60s.
Cheers Steve
:D

When I first dug my plug I thought there was a coin under a rock, so I went a bit deeper but the pointer kept saying it was just there so I enlarged the hole to lever up the rock,but, it turned into a cap gun as it came out of the hole,..i was as stoked as I was amazed when I saw what it was. at first look after a bath I thought it might not take caps, it was only after close examination with a loupe that I discovered that the side actually levers up to insert the caps,..so obviously that was one type of gun that I never got to play with as a young fella. I'm just hoping that it all frees up so I can get it to fire a few caps again Stoyve.
stoyve said:
Hi ho silver, that's a great nights work.
I bade one of those stampede cap guns in the 60s.
Cheers Steve
:D

At least yoi got a couple of cockatoos mate (dollars). Nice gun too you got old school berettas now

I do indeed, now I can be like Audi Murphy(with Berettas),.. The 3d was about 1m away from the cap gun, along with 4 x 2c pieces just to the side of it,...they were all in a depression where an old tree had been removed a few years back,..so I presume the cops and robbers was played in the shade of the tree way back when,... the 3d rang up as a mid tone signal and was only about 1" under the surface,... I almost left it thinking it may be a ring pull,.. it was only its proximity to the 2cs that made me think it may be a coin, the fact that it was silver was a surprise even to me,..maybe because it was so shallow and my batteries were almost flat by then that it rang up like that.
treasureman said:
Nice gun too you got old school berettas now

Went out last night for a swing and kept going till I scored a silver.
1422060036_sam_8632.jpg

since seeing Treasuremans post on 18th January 2015 about simmering the coppers in olive oil, I thought I'd give it ago as well,... burnt the oil, had to take the smoking pot out side to cool off a bit(it doesn't smell nice if it's almost on fire(ha)),...so these(below) would be an example coming out of burnt brown oil.
that's a 1903 half penny in there, scratched the 1951 halfpenny(even happens to me some times), and the 1956 Florin (that was cleaned differently than the coppers) stills requires a bit more cleaning yet, (next generations job perhaps).
1422060036_sam_8652.jpg

1422060036_sam_8653.jpg

Not sure what the tag is from.

Hey mate. Yes that happened to.me the second time. Only because i had it on full and wet away thinking ok. However simmered too.hot too pong and smoked big time. Horrible thick dry smell, ok so simmer the coins third time round perfecto. Low heat if possible. But live and learn now onto a good coppwr cleaning method. To retain aged patina. They will better once a day a later. Should come good. But just remember the simmering lower temperature than full. As i learned the hard way too

Pretty cool you found 1903 that would ground breaking where i am as havent come close to that yet. And also i go hunting ubtil the first silver coin as well lol sometimes takes hours and other times best to know when your out of luck and retire for the day.

Yeah, I won't give up trying the simmering till I get it right.
treasureman said:
Hey mate. Yes that happened to.me the second time. Only because i had it on full and wet away thinking ok. However simmered too.hot too pong and smoked big time. Horrible thick dry smell, ok so simmer the coins third time round perfecto. Low heat if possible. But live and learn now onto a good coppwr cleaning method. To retain aged patina. They will better once a day a later. Should come good. But just remember the simmering lower temperature than full. As i learned the hard way too

Isn't it funny when you have a silver free hunt, you just want to continue on to the wee hours of the morning until you eventually score one. Feels a bit empty coming home with no silvers for the night. :D

Tell me about it GP,..I start to fret and the anxiety levels soar when there's no silver in the kitty,...instead of just relaxing(like I know I should) and letting the subconscious do the smelling and lead me to the silver(unless of course there's none there in the first place(ha)). It's even worse when I take my old mate out with me and he's getting silver on my spot and I end up with none(ha), shoes been on the other foot though when it comes to finds of silver coins most times, so it does me good to get beaten down a peg or two on the odd occasion).
Goldpick said:
Isn't it funny when you have a silver free hunt, you just want to continue on to the wee hours of the morning until you eventually score one. Feels a bit empty coming home with no silvers for the night. :D

Sent you a PM Rodger.
Ramjet said:
I think I will try your method guys... stay at it until silver emerges. Had a silver free hunt last night. Demoralizing.

Haven't had much internet lately, so I should be able to get some hunt photos up soon(new internet month).
Working on it now !

Latest posts