Todays hunt results.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm starting to feel a bit crook now Heatho,...after hearing that(ha),...I suppose it's about time it had a better use than ropes and ornamental garden plants anyway !
Heatho said:
silver said:
I should of said"some cool hemp user would have been fretting over the loss of their pride and joy"

That's a classic Silver. Mate it's actually medicine in NSW since the 1st of Jan. :)

First hunt of 2015 and I scored a pistol and 10 cents.
The pistol was in under a big tree, right beside the trunk in a recess that protected it from the elements, it was above the ground but under a covering of loose mulch, and I had to cut a pencil sized root that went through the trigger guard and was holding it fast in its resting place to be able to retrieve it.
first the 10 cents(that came from a park).
1420370811_sam_7976.jpg

After the park I decided to stop and look under a big old tree that I'd been eyeing off for a while as I was travelling home.
And this is my reward, an old pistol.
I'll let the pickys speak for themselves.
1420371075_sam_7967.jpg

1420371128_sam_7965.jpg

1420371196_sam_7963.jpg

1420371226_sam_7969.jpg

1420371280_sam_7971.jpg

1420371280_sam_7974.jpg

Of course it's only a cap gun,...but it's the first cap gun that I've found intact and in a very well preserved condition.
A short soak in a water and molasses solution and I was able to pull the trigger and have the hammer working properly, the only thing not functioning properly is the spring back for the trigger return after firing,..I could still put caps in it and have it fire them though.
Favorite thing about it is in the final picky,...MADE IN AUSTRALIA

Doesn't it just,...why, even some of our fruit isn't made here.
It's a wonder we are not all wearing head bandages(from beating our heads against the wall).
I wonder which politicians will have the guts enough to step in and sort this long lived fiasco out ?
I'd like to see my grandchildren buying MADE IN AUSTRALIA everything one day(when they get here).
Sandta said:
MADE IN AUSTALIA .... seems a very rare thing these days

Very nice mate. Should clean up mint and be worth your time to a collector.
Those hunches near trees always seem to pay off and inspire thinking outside the box for a reward.

I'll get mine out and we can play together :D

When I pulled mine out I wasn't sure if it was a real one for a couple of seconds as the details started showing in the hole. It still rates as one of my most memorable hunts.

It is in great condition, well done.

I'm not even sure how old it is TM,...where do you find the Toy Gun collectors,...and do you think they would want it in as is condition(like a coin collector) so they can do the clean up themselves ? Not sure I'd even get rid of it yet as Wally and Sandta might want to play guns !
And you're right,..don't you just love those trees !
treasureman said:
Very nice mate. Should clean up mint and be worth your time to a collector.
Those hunches near trees always seem to pay off and inspire thinking outside the box for a reward.

Good idea GP,...mount it loaded and with a box or two of caps as well while they are still available,..and a few rolls out in the open to be seen as too.Would be nice to be able to get the proper holster for it,..they would probably end up in a vinnies type shop from time to time I suppose !
Goldpick said:
Cool cap gun, very rare to find one with the hand pieces intact. Clean it up and mount it I reckon. :)

Me to Nanjim,..we had air riffles as well, I was a good shot from 10 yards by the time I was six years old(our old steel tarred Rubbish Bin had a big clear spot from slugs),...of course we could only use cap guns to shoot at each other though,..or sling shots,...or throw fire crackers at each other,.. it was W A R after all(ha).
Nanjim said:
I had one of those as a kid.....

Cheers Nanjim

My first hunt for 2015. Hit two sites for about an hour each. Only 1 goldie, and one pre-dec, but had a ball. Lots of interesting bits of jewellery.
The ring is just a junker, but the teardrop item is gold plated I think. I was using the CTX3030 and coiltek 10x5 coil. It continues to impress with how hard it hits some of the smaller items.

1420502230_1st_hunt_of_2015_sm.jpg

1420502251_first_hunt_of_2015_sm.jpg

1420502277_shilling_1952_sm.jpg

Love seeing what you have found, I am going to have a look at my Nans place some time soon, she has a very old house in the dead centre of Ipswich CBD.

Love the capgun as well, in great condition too, well done!