CTX addiction

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
thought I might try to keep future posts together. Don't expect anything spectacular because mostly it's going to be beaches, piers & parks. But it's still fun. And of all the addictions I know of (some I have tried) it's definitely the healthiest.
Even though I have an Excalibur (thank you SA Bogun) I prefer the bells & whistles on my CTX 3030.

1416695815_altona_24_nov_14.jpg

last night at low tide Altona pier, nothing exciting but gauranteed to get a few bits where the water is almost too deep to wade.
I keep pulling out lead fish & other animal shapes - some sort of voodoo stuff going on in Altona?

* next year when I've saved some $$$ I plan on doing a refresher open water cert, getting some preloved dive gear and taking the Excalibur into some deeper water.

1417006998_gold_ring_close_detail_26_nov_14.jpg

1417006736_haul_26_nov_2014.jpg

well tonight I didn't hit the beach as planned so just slummed it locally for 2 hours. First gold ring! I can't make out the mark inside it though.
The ring itself has lettering engraved on the inside in what I'm guessing is a middle eastern script. My guess is that it's a wedding band since it appears to have some sort of date.
So I'm going to hand it over to the police - I am hoping if it's not claimed that ownership reverts to me.
If anyone in Victoria has had experience in this area I'd love to hear how it works.

Usually I complain about the lack of pre-decimals locally (the area only got built on in the 1970's) however I'd be happy to find more rings instead :)

It's like a wallet mate, hand it in and if unclaimed it's yours. Make sure if you do drop it off sign it in and have it signed out when you collect it due to theft by finding laws especially if you intend to sell it.

definitely happy with it, just looking at now on the desk as I figure out where the nearest police station is. And I will follow your advice Goldtarget and make sure stuff gets signed and I have a copy. I also have a few photos of the ring so if it's not claimed I have a good record.

I was hunting a playground with steel equipment making life difficult and getting the usual assortment of small coins. The signal was strange. Somewhere between where a 20c and 50c piece would be, because I couldn't place it I thought "probably junk" definitely not a ring pull though.

A friend reckons it's 21k, if so now I know what a 21k ring comes up as on a CTX.

Goldtarget said:
It's like a wallet mate, hand it in and if unclaimed it's yours. Make sure if you do drop it off sign it in and have it signed out when you collect it due to theft by finding laws especially if you intend to sell it.
Yeah it's as good as gold mate haha
They hardly ever get claimed ;)
EM

Exactly. Nobody said which police station ;) . The other not so obvious reason for signing in and out is it's bloody frustrating if its a large or small station and trying to get the same officer, a few months back I handed one to the local and the officer went on long service leave, the other officer was a little reluctant to hand it over until confirmation was received as they were not present when handed in and only doing relieving duties. All in all it was another three weeks wait before I got the call to pick it up(full tote Diamond Ring $$$) all the while I thought for sure someone would track it down. Now from that I insist on good documentation. Naturally it then becomes "yours" with proof to do with as you wish.

Goldtarget I have a family member who's a member of the Vic fuzz. He's not sure if they still hand out receipts for items handed in - which makes me a little nervous but I can only go for as big a paper trail as I can get. And then if it's still there in how many weeks time the ring is mine in good conscience.
I'll keep in mind your experience too.

Interesting topic ... When do you hand it in versus just keeping it? There would be at best $30-40 of gold in the ring. What are the criteria considered when making the decision to turn the item in to police?

1. dollar value - I notice nobody taking a silver ring in which could be as easily identified? Is it $10 or $50 or $100+??

2. Identity - if there are enough markings or the item is unique does that determine whether to turn it in?

3. item Type - if it's jewelry do you have to turn it in but if it is a lighter cover, a medal, a gun, a dog tag, phone, camera you don't?

4. Age - if the item in question looks very old do you deduce the owner is long dead so not to worry?

I guess it is a slippery slope when we talk about these things - technically everything you find should be turned in from a law perspective... But I am sure the local cop shop would be unimpressed if I walked in there with my finds bag wanting to turn in, tag and receipt each item I find. Maybe we should ask the law what they want reported?

In my opinion - I think I use the Age and dollar value to determine whether to turn it in or not. I would not turn in anything with a dollar value of less than $50 or something older than 30 years but that is me. I am interested to hear members thoughts about it. Funnily enough most of the rings we have found would be worth $50 or less in scrap and none of the rings found are in decent enough shape to sell them for anything else... (Well maybe we have 1 or 2 out of 35 that are presentable)

there are markings inside the band which I have deliberately not shown so I will be going to the police - I suspect it will have sentimental value to someone.

If it was a silver ring I wouldn't bother so my reasoning is based on scrap value + possible personal value.

Interesting questions though.

I only do it because I pass mine on, in that instance it kind of compels me to do so and the odds of a junker or silver rings owner claiming is remote at best.... It's just black and white but you raise a valid argument. However the relic laws I see as a bit Grey in terms of predecs. No harm no foul I guess.

1417519295_willi_beach_2_dec_2014_a.png

1417519295_willi_beach_2_dec_2014.jpg

hit Williamstown beach this afternoon, things that would normally put me off doing so are
A It's Williamstown and I never seem to score much there
B the southerly that was making it almost possible to surf
C rubbish low tide that wasn't very low (Southerly helped this too)
D all of the above

anyway found an aussie 1945 half penny, 2 Indian coins that I have never seen before (one dated 1913 & the other 1910 I think) and an Elvish ring....it's crap copper but it has Elvish script on it. Assortment of other coins, one US penny, something that might be a 20c piece encased in smeg. Part of an earring.
Obligatory set of keys - I seem to find keys. And what might be a large iron washer encrusted with rock & shells.

Looks like some sand has moved in places at the beach, even hit clay this time... never had that before.

Anyway am planning to dust off the Excalibur once I get my open water refresher done, then it's under piers.

Nice finds Robert , good pickys too,...good to see you doing so well with it all(It's a good feeling hey !).

hey guys, yes I was pretty happy when I pulled the Indian coins out. Standing in the water gently rubbing the coins with my thumb thinking 'what the **** do we have here?" meanwhile onlookers were asking if I had found gold...hahahaha.... I wish. Well actually I'm happy just finding stuff. The people who stop me to chat are a little surprised that I'm not looking for gold (like people asking divers about sharks), and even more surprised that I find coins in the water - well ok here's a pocket of what I've been finding. Man standing in waist deep water with detector and you still need proof that I'm not just making it up????? Most people think it's cool and I got a few "good on ya" comments which I hope they remember next time they see someone with a detector - Xmas is coming so there'll be a rash of them hitting the streets soon.

Most items were between 10 & 20 cm from memory. The roo half penny came out of the clay and was a little deeper, I ended up with dark grey clay as a chunk attached to the end of the scoop, tough stuff too. I was expected some crud inside the clay but when I broke it I saw copper & the clay even left a really nice coin shape on the inside the clump.

I will be heading back when conditions are better. I scored nothing at all but junk on the dry sand, and I noticed a young bloke scoot past with a metal detector I couldn't identify. I suspect Willi gets swept regularly above the water line.

Latest posts