Banjo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok have now got the Banjo with many thanks to Jembaicumbene, who designed and made this little beauty, with us QLD blokes in mind considering the strict rules on using only hand tools....and this could be one way we can now process more dirt....BY HAND. But any one in any state can use one I would expect.

Feeding the water is done with a ladle on a fairly large handle, and in the olden days they just probably nailed an old pan on to a bit of wood, and threw the water up into the Banjo. I just used my little pan for this test debut, have run it past Jemba and yes he say's I'm doing it correctly.

Why I'm talking to James is because I wanted him to see if I was doing this right, so it's the right way when I show people, seems like it is waiting for feedback. This is my first time using a Banjo so want to make sure I get it right.

So here are some video's for you guys....hope you like it.

First One.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/32Zo8d2cQpI[/video]

Second One.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/zX7RM2cD1nE[/video]

Third One

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/Glam3QBXPWk[/video]

Cheers

Len

Yes mate you pegged it in one. You can be aggressive as you wish with the water bigger pan more water quicker wash time. It will not effect the unit. As you say it is very hard to explain a new device via video link but we seem to have got there. cheers mate

Thanks mate, after watching you do it, I tried to improvise in back yard, and tried to emulate what you had done, I can see when you have the creek behind you, you can really throw that water. I plan on making a ladle like you showed me in a photo, so I can really throw the water up from a creek. Can't wait to get it to a creek like Gympie, gonna organize the boys, Yobs reckons he's going to take us to a spot an new spot that he prospects so we can try this baby out.

Will do a video of that too.

Thanks again for a piece of equipment that is sure to help us QLDer's out.

Len

That banjo is guna eat up the gravel bar...lots of fun about to be had... so pack light there is a little walk..no clay so you only want one bucket for your cons and clean up. They used to use a wet jigg in this spot ...cant wait..

Mate it will work very well for you guys. But it will take a bit of trial and error to get it down pat. The angles will be the most you have to play around with. when you get them sorted all will be well. cheers

Yeah Yobs, and I wasn't even feeding it fast like James does, and with a proper ladle wow this thing will chew it up alright. So Yobs just a shovel, little pick, pan and bucket is that it?

Yeah James I can see the angles are the critical part. Thanks mate.

Basic gear len.. thats right.
I wont be bringing the kids this time...
More time to help you out...i will explain angles for differant substraights...and size of gold you wish to catch..
This place has alot of fine gold and the odd chun-ki ho...lol
Its base is hard pack ...you can see over 100 plus layers from flooding...can even date it before 1880.s flood!
It will be the first trip there with the rocker...and i made it for that area...hahaha

Wow sounds good Yobs, how far a walk is it, I should be right with my knees, I'll just go at my pace, it sounds really good, and the layers sound amazing, I want to start digging NOWWWWW!!!1

In regards to the Gold.......I wish to catch....CHUNKIES and CHUNKIES!!! hahah

Hard pack hmmm cool, wow sounds interesting area. Oh you're taking the rocker, we'll have a ball mate..

Just going to do another video soon of what this bad boy can do, with tips from James, I have my tub of water sitting to the back more going to use a bigger pan, and give it to her. I'm not holding back on this vid, just did a test with different dirt, some sand, some courser gravel and rocks. I threw that water up there one after another, boy was I surprised to see how fast it moves it, this will blow your mind Yobs and you guys.

James I will also video the riffles and can u tell me please if you think it looks good and the angles are good? Thanks mate.

Will have vid done a bit later on just charging the phone....so.....stay tuned guys to see how powerful a 'BANJO' really is.

Len

Ohhh Yobs when would you be available, might see if Steve wants to come up this Fri maybe, how does that sit with you mate?

Yobs is there a creek there, just thought I'd ask, Banjo has to be near creek so we can throw water up into it.

I will see about friday...throw some gold in your next mix...
And this place is perfect for ya mate...
Us two cripples can make it there and have a rest ...
Its such a nice spot you wont regret it....plenty of water front for you hahahahaha

Ok Yobs see how we go....gotta see how Steve is going, might have family stuff he has to do. Yah mate Us old cripples we'll still get into it. Haven't got any gold to throw in....I suppose you mean when I do next vid. Should throw in some split shot.....yeah i have 3 pieces and I'll throw them in.

Good we've got water.....we've got the gear, we've got the inspiration, now all we need now is......GOLD!! :)

Ok guys did another video today, this time I was more aggressive as James suggested to me and he wasn't wrong when he said, "it can take anything you throw at it".

Did one on the clean up too, in the dirt I put 3 half lead split shot in it to test is she's catch them, too right she kept em.

More Aggressive--How It Should Be Done--Tell Me If I'm I'm On The Money James.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/nfkIK-_pWjk[/video]

Clean Up:

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/_Fux-6NnhK0[/video]

Cheers

Len

Yes indeed that is how the ones we use today came about.
1453700140_1476364148.gif

Len i would play around with the angle on the top hopper a bit. But over all you pegged it mate. cheers

Jembaicumbene said:
Len i would play around with the angle on the top hopper a bit. But over all you pegged it mate. cheers

Ok mate, do you think it was a bit too steep or not steep enough? Was the material coming off too fast?

A bit of yes and a bit of no, i would play around and get to know how the unit reacts on each setting. cheers

Hey james just wanted to thank you for sending up the banjo mate. Havent seen it in the flesh yet but looks the goods in lens videos. This thing with keep len and me busy for years to come. Cheers mate you da man :p

Latest posts