Your going gold prospecting , the cost $$ ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like to get an idea of what you spend on an average trip , this question is for those who don't live near a field and have to travel plus camp .

Also who comes home regularly with a profit & what gear do you use ?

Please answer this as it will help us all with another alternative method being developed .

On average I spend between $150-$200 per trip, this figure includes fuel, food etc.

Profit from panning and sluicing = averages at around $5 per trip. Highbanker = TBA

Cost of prospecting gear $3000+

Expression on my wifes face when I come home empty handed and $200 less richer = Priceless :lol:

ar123629454766194.jpg

I probably spent about 3 grand on prospecting gear, this includes the detector. The biggest cost is fuel, the shortest trip would cost about $100.00.
Most of my tucker is usually the el-cheapo brand and the cheapest cuts of meats. Camping cost are nil. I'm a bit of a tight wad. There is no way that I would have found enough gold to cover costs.
:) Mick

My Area is about 3 hrs drive from home.
I spend a couple of hours pulling the gear out of the garage and packing the truck, and the same when I return.
It costs me a couple of hundred in fuel,beer and food for the weekend. I'm lucky in that I have accommodation at my mates farm when I'm there.
I have never calculated the worth of the spoils of my labour and you know what, I don't want to know because I'm not doing this to make a profit.
If I was I'd be very disappointed.
I just like getting out there and enjoying the serenity and the thrill of the chase.

p.s What alternative method are you alluding to

Probably around $200 for the trip. Mostly Fuel
I do not count food/smokes etc...as I eat whether I am home or away...funny that.

About $1700 of gear.

Profits...Gold...did not register on digital scales...but have not gone to a good location since getting the gear.
Coins...$51 with detector around local area..

Hmmm makes me wonder why I want to chase the yella looking at local coins haha.

edit : Seriously though...$200 for me and the missus to go out and do something we really want to do for 4 days to a week.
That is value for money right there.

Hmm I think my costs for equipment is sitting around the $250 - 300 mark. This includes the hand tools, pans and containers. I have spent $150 - $200 on materials for home made equipment. Making my own has saved me upwards of $400 easily. I spent $140 on a aldi detector.

Fuel costs are around $100 a trip if i go to the Palmer or Hodgkinson. (About a 350km round trip to either field)

I am yet to do an overnighter but i would estimste $100 or so for a couple of days supplies and road house food and drinks

As the others have said. The real value is getying outdoors with people you want to be with. The gold is a bonus

Cheers Tone

With only a few trips under my belt i usually spend around $70 on diesel and probably $50 on food and beerverages.
Camping is always free
Last trip i got around 0.25grams for 4 hours on the HB :|
It's all a learning curve and has been really enjoyable.

Compared to fishing as a hobby prospecting is way cheaper.

G'day

We live like wild kings out bush and have sometimes found more gold than what is spent on food, beer and fuel (ordered by priority, of course ) but most trips, no. Pay streaks are soon worked out and then it's back to the drawing board. A lot of trips are exploratory and scouting. Some basic calculation yields about $100 per day average

Cheers

Chimpy

5 detectors, dremmel, tumbler, sluice, pan, 2digging tools, 2 pinpointer, 1 lesche shovel, pouches, belts, $100 worth of coin cleaners that dont work, coin albums, ebay lol, and parking meter money plus 100 dollars of fuel only to go to the goldfields every weekend
Now its camping gear books research time
Enjoyment priceless

Detector $120, pro pointer $160, pouch and tools $40,
Finds detecting, a touch over $100 in coins and a white gold and diamond ring.
So I'm up a bit with the detecting.

Garrett pan $22, vile $3..gold found (20 odd specs) fuel so far $100 or so...defiantly not covering the costs, but damn I love it! :D

For the Mininster, a couple of hundred bucks.
2 sluices, 2 pumps, hoses fittings, 2 picks, replace broken shovel, better 4wd tyres, CB, GPS, pans, sieves. Would never add it up & publish as it could give me a hearty!! :)

Rewards, yet to pay for the viles that hold the spoils. :lol:

i m lucky to be within 20 minutes of a pretty good gold field, eventhough i would love to find lassiters, which actually does exist in Duffer mine, thats a story that one. its not always about anything shiny, especially if u have kids, childlike belief and time in the bush with the kids priceless

I live close, but even when i didn't it wasn't very expensive, I've laid out a few thousand here and there for fishing trips without the "big 1" and to go trail bike riding i bought a Ute to carry a bike and then the bike brand spanking of the shelf, cost over 10k in a week getting those two things. its one of the few recreational pursuits you have an opportunity to recover costs, if only a little of the output which is a plus. The real bonus here as has already been pointed out, chasing alluvial you can get some great kit together for very little if you go diy, which is also a huge help in terms of cost. I'd say 99% of the guys getting a profit are the detectorists, the opportunities for multiple grams in a day are much much higher than alluvial processing. I've only ever sold my gold once so I'll never see a profit, good luck to those who do. A a guide before i moved into the area i would keep costs down to around $200 for a weekend, but once your there its a cheaper to stay extra days, rarely would i get more than two consecutive days due to work and family commitments.

Couple of detectors, pinpointer, pan and sieves and small sluice - $1400. Petrol to Black Springs $30, to Sofala about $45. Food no extra cost prepared at home. Most of camping stuff and tools I already had. Profit from gemstones and gold so far zero. But I do coin shooting almost every morning and I found $1200 plus about $200 in jewelry so far. But getting decent loot from the parks around my area is getting harder.
Karl

Hi all,

I've seen this topic come up now and again and is always an interesting read.

It took me a bit over five years to save for the detector and extra coils etc. Time well spent I'd say and I don't regret it one bit. The pans, sluices and HB are all much of a muchness. They are part and parcel of the work/hobby and all have their uses when the time arises.
The outlay on gear and the usual expenses are suited to what you can budget for most times I guess. You can still do a lot for a minimal cost if you're careful about the approach. We've just picked up our first caravan as we're done with the costs of staying in a cabin (average around $100p/night). That is an outlay I definitely can't afford to keep doing. So the van will cut our costs dramatically and allow so much more freedom. Should be a nice change.

In the end, time spent with friends or family along with the general enjoyment of prospecting is far more valuable than any outlay for gear. However, those that do recoup costs and keep a bit of a wage coming in from prospecting/relic hunting are definitely the lucky ones amongst us :D

All the best out there,
Shauno.

Latest posts