Complete Noob - Best place to go for your first prospecting trip? NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have recently been introduced to prospecting via the YouTube algorithm and saying I have been in a rabbit-hole would be an understatement.

It's the perfect hobby, it's like hiking, with a purpose ha ha. So anyways, I have been thinking of going on a weekend trip with my partner. We're in Sydney, but aren't afraid of long train trips. I was thinking of getting some super basic equipment, pan, claw, shovel and a mini-river sluice (any recommendations here would be appreciated too). The thing is, I'm new to Australia, I don't have any idea where to go - I don't really know anyone here to ask either, especially not someone who's into prospecting.

I'm just looking for nature, a good river and gold bearing ground - I don't expect to find any as I'm new, it would just be good to be looking where gold has been found before ha ha

I'm also not against getting the snorkel out and jumping in.

So, any recommendations for a first-time prospecting trip? We don't mind a hike, and we can camp too if need be.

I have done a bit of research and the Bathurst Region keeps coming up, that any good? Any good rivers or creeks to visit there?

I would appreciate any recommendations and advice,

Cheers guys,

KJ

The Bathurst area would be a great starting point with several close by historical Goldfields including Sunny Corner, Hill End, Wattle Flat & Sofala (to name a few).
Problem is you mention a train trip? You can get to Bathurst but would then still need a vehicle of some sort to get out to the Goldfields. There's no public transport or much in the way of facilities in these areas.

The Bathurst area would be a great starting point with several close by historical Goldfields including Sunny Corner, Hill End, Wattle Flat & Sofala (to name a few).
Problem is you mention a train trip? You can get to Bathurst but would then still need a vehicle of some sort to get out to the Goldfields. There's no public transport or much in the way of facilities in these areas.
That's great to hear thank you! You're right, I didn't even consider that - I'm new to Australia ha ha I don't know many people here, I need to find someone who knows their stuff, resides in Sydney and frequents the gold fields, it would be way better to learn from someone with experience.

You wouldn't happen to be able to point me in the direction of a group or forum I can post in to find someone like that? (I'm not sure if there is a location based one on here). This way I can split gas and learn something while I tag along ha ha

That's great to hear thank you! You're right, I didn't even consider that - I'm new to Australia ha ha I don't know many people here, I need to find someone who knows their stuff, resides in Sydney and frequents the gold fields, it would be way better to learn from someone with experience.

You wouldn't happen to be able to point me in the direction of a group or forum I can post in to find someone like that? (I'm not sure if there is a location based one on here). This way I can split gas and learn something while I tag along ha ha
Hey mate
I’m also new to the hobby. I’ve found great info on this website, lots of people willing to share information.
If you’re on Facebook I recommend searching for groups on Facebook.
E.g a spot close to me is the Shoalhaven river. So I just searched “shoalhaven river gold”. Sure enough there was a group. Or “Canberra prospecting”.
There are groups everywhere, for all different locations. Many of the posts on these groups are people saying when they are going to goldfields and that they would like to catch up with people. You might get some luck on one of these groups also.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Latest posts