Hunting "GARNETS" in the Harts Range NT.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalnLiz

Wal nLiz
Reaction score
Quite a few of us from the Eastern States head over to WA for the winter months chasing Gold. For those who want to break up the trip over, and who also have a keen interest in "Gemstones" as well, then a stop over for a week or so at Harts Range could be a very enjoyable and memorable detour. Not only is it one of the premiere Garnet locations in the country, it offers a vast variety of precious and semi precious gemstones as well. Some of the Zircons on the nearby Mud Tank Zircon Field are huge to say the least, and by far the biggest zircons I have ever come across. Top quality Zircons are extremely difficult to tell apart from Diamond when cut even to the trained eye, hence they are often referred to as the poor mans diamond.

IMG_8926 - Copy.JPG
Typical of the Garnets from this area

Directions to getting there are quite easy. From Alice Springs you travel north on the Stuart Highway for 68km to the turnoff for the Plenty Highway. Here you turn right and travel another 70km to the Gemtree Caravan Park, which is a good place to base yourself if you don't like camping on the fields. We ourselves prefer to camp where we are digging, as there is nothing better than getting out of bed, having breakfast and picking up the shovel to get some exercise, without having to drive to the location and then back again to the CV park. The caravan park also runs guided trips to the gem fields but for what it's worth the money can be easily saved, as finding the garnet and zircon fields is as easy as buttering toast. 🤔

IMG_8780.JPG
Zircon Crystal from Mud Tank Zircon Field

The tools required are very basic. A sturdy shovel, a metal detecting style pick, a crow bar, a 1/4" and 1/2" sieve, and a small amount of elbow grease doesn't go astray either.☺️ The easiest way to get started is work the existing trenches and follow the shist layers, as that's what the garnets fall out of. Shist is a metamorphic rock that hosts many different gemstones and the ranges around here have it in abundance. Most of the garnets are in the layers above the non decomposed material and are generally in a gravelly looking wash. Very rarely do you have to be more than a couple feet deep from the surface, and in fact you can pick up a jar full by only specking the surface itself.

Garnet - Copy.jpg
Typical Garnet crystal found on the diggings

The tracks go past the Garnet fields and cross a couple of creeks. If hiking is something you like doing then following the bed of these creeks will often get you very large "Garnet Balls", some the size of golf balls. They tend to be opaque and specked on the surface. They have perfect crystal structure, not worth anything monetary wise but are great talking points, and look good in the gemstone cabinets back home. Many of the creeks in the area are full of "garnet sand" and that in itself is worth seeing. A few days on the Garnet Field and the nearby Mud Tank Zircon field will net you enough faceting material to last you a lifetime. ;)

Garnet.jpg
Varying sizes of Garnet Crystals found by specking in the creeks.

The Harts Range is a huge range protruding out of seemingly nowhere, and offers gem hunters a great variety of minerals and gems for very easy pickings. To see it all would take forever and for those who love gemstones It's a must put on the "bucket list" of locations. The scenery of the area is nothing like what's on the East Coast and as such makes a great holiday in itself. For the gold hunters Arltunga gold field is to the south and Tennant Creek to the north. Both very productive nugget hunting areas which could easily be incorporated into the trip. If you head out that way good luck and I'm sure it would be an experience to remember, or like us even revisit on several occasions.... Cheers Wal.

Last edited:
Excellent reporting Wal and again you have given invaluable information to wouldbe fossickers, well done. Mackka

Thanks Mackka. I try to give some info where I can as the problem with these days is many of the locations I use to prospect are now unfortunately out of bounds. Much of the Harts Range has in the last few years been closed off to fossickers by small claim owners and the main station. Won't be long before more are shut off so it's get out and see it before it becomes a distant memory.

Happening on the Opal fields, Gold Fields and Gem Fields everywhere now, and I can only see it getting worse with time. My suggestion is not to take the attitude," I'll try that one day", as that one day may unfortunately not ever come because of the restrictions. As a forum we need to somehow reverse the trend and get more areas open to the public....Wal.

Had a pic of a Zircon found at Mud Tank on my Face Book page recently and was gob smacked at the size of it . It was the size of a house brick and weighed some two Kilos.:oops:....It was in a matrix form but was very evident that it was Zircon. The biggest I have ever seen there was about the size of a large orange, so there are some massive samples out there by the looks of it. Wouldn't mind a house brick size specie in my gemstone cabinets for sure.:)

Beautiful drinking water , from the bore near the Police Station !

When I was there , many dead finches in the tank water . I set the windmill going and got clean water . Stopped the wind mill and left it as I found it .

Last edited:
Mica was mined in that area before the last war . After the war , mica from India and plastics coming into use , saw all the mines close . IMG_1265.JPGIMG_1266.jpg

Not exactly sure , but mica was sold by the square inch . You had to cut it so that it was 1 x 3 inch etc. The miners would take it in to the depot by the bag .

Trying to give you a better photo of my mica specimen from the Harts Range Early 1970's .......

Attachments

• IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Not exactly sure , but mica was sold by the square inch . You had to cut it so that it was 1 x 3 inch etc. The miners would take it in to the depot by the bag .

Went to one of the old mines a few years back and camped next to a Mica Dump from the mine. The whole pit was full of Mica plates that looked like full encyclopaedia books :oops: and you could pull the sheets off just like opening a large book. The sheets would have been a good 40 cm across and at night the ground glistened like a snow field.:)

Had a pic of a Zircon found at Mud Tank on my Face Book page recently and was gob smacked at the size of it . It was the size of a house brick and weighed some two Kilos.:oops:....It was in a matrix form but was very evident that it was Zircon. The biggest I have ever seen there was about the size of a large orange, so there are some massive samples out there by the looks of it. Wouldn't mind a house brick size specie in my gemstone cabinets for sure.:)
Had a similar experience at Mud Tank - had made it a place to mmeet someone before moving on (simply a landmark we both knew) and had to kill an hour. Walked along the creek and there lying at surface was a beautiful stone like you describe, flawless.

Genuine rubies also occur in Harts Range as well as garnets, and they are huge. Every one seems far too flawed to cut and most are almost opaque, but they are sometimes centimetres in size so good on the mantelpiece.

Genuine rubies also occur in Harts Range as well as garnets, and they are huge. Every one seems far too flawed to cut and most are almost opaque, but they are sometimes centimetres in size so good on the mantelpiece.
I have often wondered if there might be some unflawed ones farther down stream, as flawed ones don't travel far before breaking up. But I have never got back there since the early 1990s.

Last edited:
""During the latter part of 1978, it was observed that corundum crystals excavated from subsurface outcrops in the vicinity of Mount Brady were pinker than any previously recovered. Exploratory bulldozer costeaning was carried out on various areas. Several hundred kilograms of red corundum were recovered from these initial excavations, which are nowhere deeper than 5 metres. This discovery is the first ruby deposit recorded in Australia having a commercial significance. It is located six kilometres southeast of Mount Brady in the eastern Harts Range". "The rubies occur in an actinolitic marble, which is white in colour with small specks of green actinolite".

1662159298007.png

https://www.mindat.org/locentry-44353.html

Last edited:
Travelling this road can be hazardous if your vehicle has limited load carrying capacity.

Moon Rock.jpg

After picking up a few too many Garnets and Zircons we dug out some big packs of Mica from and old mine. That was all ok until Mrs M spotted a couple of these great looking rocks a little further east. We had two of these on the floor under the table. Hit the brakes and they'd roll forward, climb a hill and they'd head back and then they'd go left to right around every bend. Luckily we were nearly halfway through our trip so I rolled them out the door about 15,000km later.

Latest posts