Whites TDI SL information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grubstake said:
SunriseBoy said:
The SL is struggling on highly mineralized ground. However, I think the 12" (dual field) Spider coil may be the issue.
It's appreciated the MJs and RBs are highly touted for this unit but I was also reading some comments on the Coiltek & NF units.
Some advice please.

SunriseBoy said:
Yes, I'm eyeing off a RB 7x11. But it has to wait. The pension only stretches so far.

If you're prepared to pay the postage both ways SB, I've got a couple of small monos that I'd be happy to lend you, so you can trial them both on your own detector, in your own area/s and time:

NuggetFinder 12 x 7 (aka The Bill Payer). Highly praised by many for its sensitivity and useability -
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...12/1447199947_gpx_12x7_nugget_finder_mono.jpg

Nugget Tech 8 x 5. A rank outsider - nobody seems to know much if anything about this now-extinct brand. It's a handy size for the TDI, though -
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../4012/1447199966_gpx_8x5_nugget_tech_mono.jpg

I'm not looking to sell these two at present, so this is 100% no obligation - keep your money in your pocket, try'em out, then send them back and let us all know how you went. What do you reckon? :)

Thanks for that GS. I'll put it on my list and will PM you.

Does the NF run well on the SL? I'm not up to speed on the compatability of these.

SunriseBoy said:
Does the NF run well on the SL? I'm not up to speed on the compatability of these.
I've seen reports of them running well on the SPP & TDI oz pro so theres no reason it shouldn't run well on your SL.
Mate that offer from Grubstake is terrific - very generous! Good stuff GB!

Anyone in Adelaide who owns a TDI or any Minelab PI is welcome to borrow a Detech demo coil for the day. I have a few different sizes available in both DD and Mono.

I read it somewhere a while back but Brian told me the other day about the impedance the coils run at, the Minelabs like a coil with .5ohms impedance while the Whites run best with 2.5ohms impedance but because the Whites are more forgiving they will run the coils made for Minelabs as well. While most of the NF, CT & ML coils, & others made for ML dectectors will run well on the TDI series detectors, including the SPP, the Minor Johns & Razorback coils are better suited & will run better.
I don't know much about impedance & coils etc so can only go by what I read & have been told but if a coil is specifically made to suit a certain detector then that coil has to be the best choice & being that the RB Longreach coils are meant to have been designed for Australia, & only available here there they would have to be the best coil to use, they are water proof to 3 feet as well.
The 6x10 mono & folded mono, & the 7.5x12 mono & folded mono sound like they would cover most situations & the 9x14 mono for some extra depth sounds alright too.

Sunrise, I'll let you know how the 7.5x12 RB Longreach folded mono goes on the SPP, it should be here soon. I've tried the standard 12" in a couple of places recently & near hv powerlines & phone towers & will go back to them same area's with the RB coil.

Thanks Ozzii. And the 12" mono is going quite well. Though over at Kilkivan I only managed to scrounge a couple of lead slugs on Sat. But I notice it picks them up with a strong signal at around 9 or 10 inches, so it has a bit of grunt.

Yeah I have found a few lead .22 bullets & a few pieces of lead shot, some at good depth. I posted a pic in the Whites Thread showing a hole I got some lead shot from, was around 12 inches deep.
I'd like to do a comparison test between lead & gold, say a 1 gram or less piece of each & see how deep they can be found & also see what differences there are between the signals/tones of each. We have the .87 gram nugget so might have to cut a .22 bullet down to size & do some tests with both coils.

I saw a test on YT. They dug trench about a foot or more wide and then in the side of the trench drilled holes at various depths so they could insert targets. It was one of the few tests I've seen, that I believe were just about as authentic and effective as to testing depth of targets.

Yeah doing it that way leaves the soil in tact so it should give a better reading a depth capabilities.
I won't worry about going that far, I'll just dig a couple of holes, bury the targets at same depth & stomp soil back down to compact it a bit, I just want to test how the 2 coils compare to each other, it will give a reasonable idea on depth but I mainly want to find out how good the sensitivity of the RB folded mono coil is compared to the standard Whites mono.
Want to also test on some coins using low & high conductivity with both coils as well & being that the RB folded coil is meant to be better for pin pointing I want to test that as well. It will probably rain a bit once the new coil turns up though,haha.

I just have to get closer to Au. It seems that where ever I am, the Au isn't. But I don't think I'm The Lone Ranger on that score.

I'm hoping I get closer to some Au, close enough to have it under the coil & in my hand,haha.
I think this new coil should help, mainly because its much more sensitive & better for smaller gold but time will tell. Been going to area's where gold should be & where gold reefs were worked so I think I'm in the right spot, or close to it, still researching that.
Will see how we go with the 7.5x12 & after xmas some time I wouldn't mind getting the 5x9 coil for smaller gold. If I can't find anything with them then I have alot more research & learning to do. Just being in the goldfield isn't a guarantee of finding the shiny stuff.

Hello people who are smarter than me, I have a question about coils for the SL.
When should I run the 6" coiltek mono? I run the 8" Detech mono and do find gold, I have not run this 6" and just want to know it's benefits?.
Cheers all
Len

Gday

Coil size applies the same on all detectors, the smaller the coil the better the sensitivity to small nuggets but also it will have slightly decreased depth ability, there will be a very slight difference between the 6" and the 8" mono coils, so not any real advantage there, where the decision to use the smaller 6" coil will come in will depend on the type of terrain you will use it on, if you come across some really rocky rubbly or scrubby ground you will find it easier to get the smaller coil down closer to the ground in between the rocks and around and under the vegetation, the closer you can get the coil to the ground surface the better the chances of finding the gold, the 6" and 8" coils are perfect for these sorts of conditions.

A larger coil would have to be swung over the top of the rocks so it will have less depth as you cant get it in really close to the ground, you will get the bigger bits of course but its surprising how much small gold can be hiding in these sorts of conditions that you will miss with a bigger coil, smaller coils also have the advantage of not being as badly effected by emi some days, and the smaller coils also tend to slow you down swing wise so will also end up being a lot more thorough in your search.

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts