Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of Minelab 4500 and 5000 users use the green Kevlar coils they run very smooth are light and punch in deep and are sensitive the first green coils that came out with the 2000 were referred to rubbish bin lids regards john :)

Thanks Zuke, That's the best threshold sound i have ever heard from the TDI PRO sounds really promising mate. :)

Oldhand, I didn't know that so i had a looked and i see the one you talk of. The one i have is definitely the garbage bin lid type (dome Shape).

Those 18" goldsearch green coils are hard to come by Oldhand. People must still be hanging onto them. :)

1417384554_untitled.png

Roscoe here is pictures of the 2 coils you can see the difference
1417384888_imagesrxywl65w.jpg

The bottom coil is the best by far if that's the one you have keep it, they are good coils and getting had to get regards john :)

Thanks for the pictures Oldhand mate. Do you know if anyone has one of those 18" kevlar mono coil laying around not being used? I will keep an eye out for one. :)

That would be great if you could do that Oldhand. In the mean time i will do some more testing with the old dust bin lid coil. Talk about testing a bungy cord to the limits. :)

Roscoe said:
Thanks for the pictures Oldhand mate. Do you know if anyone has one of those 18" kevlar mono coil laying around not being used? I will keep an eye out for one. :)

there is one on ebay pretty cheap atm

Thanks Daryl i will keep an eye on that one over the course of the auction. I see on Jimmy sierra's website that he has one called the grande its 20" and made for the TDI. :)

Hi guys,
after much hard thinking and looking on gumtree/ebay for a minelab, I came across a Whites SPP for $800 with a heap of extras & 20 months left on warranty which I couldn't pass up. hopefully I can find some yellow and upgrade in the next year or so.
in the meantime I was after suggestions on what is a decent all round coil to run on the SPP? be glad of any feedback.
cheers

The 12" whites coil that comes with the machines runs well, it is a good all round size coil. The Commander 8" mono coil runs well on it as well, its a fair bit more responsive to small gold than the 12" . I have even tried the 18" minelab dust bin mono it and it runs that ok as well. At the moment i just bought a secondhand 7x11 folded mono coil, I haven't received it yet. But I am hearing good results with this coil on small gold with SPP and TDI machines.

This is a link showing you the design of coil, go to bottom of page and in the drawing its the one in the middle, Its a very interesting coil.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/whitesgoldmaster/ar/t345.htm

When i receive it i will test it out on some targets in the ground and let you know how it goes. I will have it here next week some time. :)

PS. Don't over look the whites 7.5 inch mono coil, i think this would be a good coil as well and i do believe its water proof as well.

Will do mate, i will give it a good test out against the other coils i have and let you know what i think of it. :)

Throw the 12" std coil in the cupboard and keep it for the beach, it's good on depth for coins but horable on small gold, I'm a big fan of the 7x11 folded its a killer on all the TDI series and still good depth on larger targets I'd consider it to be a allround coil for the TDI/SPP.

I'm also testing some larger coils Roscoe' we might start a new topic once we both come up with some good results, no one wants to purchase a $500 coil and find it doesn't work or end up with the hiccups! :)

Hi trents99 have a look at a minelad 8 inch mono good sensitive coil and great depth for the size ,and the 11 ML is good as well regards john :)

I have been taking SPP to the parks lately and here are some thoughts about it. The detector has been modified and got conductivity switch mod and I use 10x5 DD Minelab coil for accurate pinpointing, that also has been modified. I use SPP to go over grassy areas of parks that I had previously searched with X-terra. I use GB set to 3 to 4, sensitivity a bit under default mark, Treshold just audible and conductivity switch set to high.
The detector runs remarkably quiter then X-terra ignoring small iron bits, beer bottle tops, small aluminium slaw, pull tabs and some aluminium screw tops. It will sound on any large piece of metal, regardless if it is high or low conductivity. It will pick up goldies even if they are in close proximity of beer bottle tops or partially covered by them. In one spot 2x3 meters full of pull tabs and bottle tops I found $6 with X-terra after slow and careful search. I went back with the SPP and picked up another $13 from same spot.
The great depth at which SPP can detect target is actually more of problem then of advantage in parks search. I don't want to dig foot deep holes in the parks, so I use pinpointer to decide. If the pinpointer can't see the target, I don't dig. It is not 100% foolproof but in most of cases it works. In the parks around my area coins are usually 1 to 5 inches deep.
It looks like that SPP conductivity discrimination doesn't work on conductivity of the target alone but also on the size or mass of target.
Reg kind of explained it in some of his previous posts.
Now for negative. SPP will detect every bloody 1 and 2 cents coins that I pass over with it. They give strong and localized signal like goldies do. So I have to dig and swear. And my SPP just loves a wire. Any wire, thin or thick, steel or copper, aluminium or brass, short or long. It will screem it's head off - target, target, dig, dig! Oh well, you can't win them all. Hopefully, if I walk over gold or silver chain, it will behave in same way.
And I almost forgot, it will sound on 50 and 20 cents coins in hight conductivity mode, if they aren't very deep. But sound will be low tone instead of grrr it gives on goldies.
The X-terra works general better on the coins, but if you go over the ground you have previously searched with X-terra, you will find coins that X-terra missed.

1419144665_spp_search.jpg

Karl

Crikey Karl.....do you honestly hope for a detector that will be perfect and wont make you dig junk?

Your dreaming mate!

Good luck in your hunts ;)

Metamorphic said:
Crikey Karl.....do you honestly hope for a detector that will be perfect and wont make you dig junk?

Your dreaming mate!

Good luck in your hunts ;)

No, I'm perfectly happy with those two I got. It mean to be report on capabilities of SPP, not a criticism.
Karl

Cool....thinking your on the right track!

Cant wait to test mine on treasure....should be the pants i reckon!

Iv spent a lot of time using the TDI pro for coin hunting and after a while you learn what most of the noises are' I'd dig those deep ones up Karl! It's a little difficult sometimes to not make to much mess but the few deeper targets' have turned out to be coppers and silvers.

Latest posts