Whinge of the day thread...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Road works OMG I’m over it. Pulled out on my road today , road was blocked detour ahead ,got down to craigie burn and the whole friggin shopping centre has barricades up!!!!!!!!!! Didn’t head back up the Hume cause it’s down to a crawl around Wallan area. High st Epping which turns into Epping Kilmore road I thought would be better HA!! 40k’s for a bloody long time and more road works!!!! I need a helicopter😂😂😂😂😂😂

My wife was talking to her cousin whom was talking to rellies in Europe and she was informed that GM food now includes flour made from dried maggots. Interesting because i am told they are very high in protein. Years ago i had a boss whom was kept alive in the jungles of New Guinea during WWII after he was shot by the opposing force, by maggots that kept his wound clean by eating the dead flesh. Mackka
Yep, they specially breed leeches to use for very fine vascular surgery especially for fine skin surface repair. A lady had her scalp degloved when her hair got caught in a farm machine. They did a re attachment of the degloved skin and around the outside of the wound they used leeches.

Man attacked by croc in KNOWN croc waters in northern Qld. One word, “ Idiot”. This fool decided to go for a dip with his dog. Yagotta askyaself the question.
That was just here eh? Kamarunga bridge? Barron River? (or there was another one just south of Cooktown?)
If its the one here, just down the road, he was just walking his dog along the bank and the croc leapt up and grabbed the dog.
The dude up north was on a boat ramp I think??

"Swimming in croc country is a choice," Mr Joyce said. "Not necessarily a good choice and is one that can lead to outcomes that we don't desire."

Yeah, well.....

Reminds me when I started working up north in my teens and asked about Box Jellyfish. "Its fine, the season doesn't start until tomorrow". I took a shower instead...

"Swimming in croc country is a choice," Mr Joyce said. "Not necessarily a good choice and is one that can lead to outcomes that we don't desire."

Yeah, well.....

Reminds me when I started working up north in my teens and asked about Box Jellyfish. "Its fine, the season doesn't start until tomorrow". I took a shower instead...
Jelly
It's called cleaning the pool (gene pool). Feel sorry for the poor dog
Agree. Poor dog. He only survived because that dog looked more tasty.

Bloomfield Boat Ramp. This bloke is an idiot!!!
Have to agree given all and any of the locals will tell you, 5 metres from water edge and don't stay longer than 10 minutes in one spot as they will stalk you. Old gunny educating me years ago told me that in the water they can launch and be on you quicker than you can turn and run. Also feel sorry for dog that saddens me.

Well the greenies have done it again.
Wood chopping events in Victoria are facing extinction because of the unavailability of Mountain Ash wood.
This has been the result of a ban sought by greenies to preserve the habitat of the greater glider whose habitat ranges from Victoria all the way to norther queensland.
A total ban on forest logging in coups allocated by Vicforests has been effected where wood for wood chopping events has been sourced. This will affect about 100 events at various agricultural shows around Victoria, including the Royal Show, where the event organizers used to be able to purchase select logs.
The amount of wood chopped in these events is minuscule in the total picture and any residue is recycled into allowable wood heating.
How does one define beaurocratic stupidity and political action by deceptive means.
Goodbye another Australian icon.

Wood chopping events in Victoria are facing extinction because of the unavailability of Mountain Ash wood.
What's the big deal with Mountain Ash?
Wikipedia:
Many different types of wood are used in the sport and they vary between countries. Common woods used in competition in Australia are gum, mountain ash, woolley butt and poplar. The most common woods cut in New Zealand are radiata pine (Pinus radiata), poplar and Pinus strobus.

Mountain ash is a gum tree and the premium wood chopping hardwood, Free from knots and even grained. Quite unique and yet a common Australian species. Who would want to see hard men slicing through soft radiata pine or poplar. Maybe we could use Yuccas like I vented my anger on last week.

Last edited:
A tragedy. I worked in Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley is having its heart ripped put by the closure of its major industries like coal fired power stations at Traralgon and Morwell, the Maryvale paper mill and major sawmills at Heyfield.
Rather than risk being too political, I’ll let others judge who is orchestrating that without any compassion on those affected.

That was just here eh? Kamarunga bridge? Barron River? (or there was another one just south of Cooktown?)
If its the one here, just down the road, he was just walking his dog along the bank and the croc leapt up and grabbed the dog.
The dude up north was on a boat ramp I think??
We were travelling up the peninsula and came to the Jardine River just on dark.The ferry punt was on the other side and had closed down for the night.
Work had started on a roadhouse on my side of the river but the work crew had cleared off for the weekend leaving a solitary watchman on site.
I wandered over for a yarn and he told me what time to expect the ferry to start operating in the morning. We chatted for a while about crocodiles then we camped there for the night.
The next morning I went very gingerly down to the water's edge to get a bucket of water and saw a piece of soap sitting on a rock.
This seemed to indicate that the watchman was in the habit of having a wash in the same place each morning. I had heard that crocodiles become aware of routine behaviour and that if someone does something twice in a row the croc will be waiting there for the third time. I therefore gave the soap a wide berth
and got my bucket of water from a spot where I had a clearish view of the water in all directions. The ferryman's children then appeared and, diving into the water, played around for a while before the ferryman appeared to operate the ferry and we crossed the river with no problems.
I read in the paper later that at that very spot a couple of days later a local and his family had arrived just on dark and he had decided to swim across and operate the ferry . A 14 foot croc got him while two smaller croce circled waiting for a snack.
It seemed that the watchman and the children were confident that in bright sunshine the crocs would lie low but the unfortunate local, who should have known better, thought that a quick dive in and a few powerful strokes would get him safely across in the dark.
Bad decision.

We were travelling up the peninsula and came to the Jardine River just on dark.The ferry punt was on the other side and had closed down for the night.
Work had started on a roadhouse on my side of the river but the work crew had cleared off for the weekend leaving a solitary watchman on site.
I wandered over for a yarn and he told me what time to expect the ferry to start operating in the morning. We chatted for a while about crocodiles then we camped there for the night.
The next morning I went very gingerly down to the water's edge to get a bucket of water and saw a piece of soap sitting on a rock.
This seemed to indicate that the watchman was in the habit of having a wash in the same place each morning. I had heard that crocodiles become aware of routine behaviour and that if someone does something twice in a row the croc will be waiting there for the third time. I therefore gave the soap a wide berth
and got my bucket of water from a spot where I had a clearish view of the water in all directions. The ferryman's children then appeared and, diving into the water, played around for a while before the ferryman appeared to operate the ferry and we crossed the river with no problems.
I read in the paper later that at that very spot a couple of days later a local and his family had arrived just on dark and he had decided to swim across and operate the ferry . A 14 foot croc got him while two smaller croce circled waiting for a snack.
It seemed that the watchman and the children were confident that in bright sunshine the crocs would lie low but the unfortunate local, who should have known better, thought that a quick dive in and a few powerful strokes would get him safely across in the dark.
Bad decision.
We only have 1 to 2 fatal attacks per year in Australia on average - my grandpa used to go for a swim without concern although it worried the family. I am always surprised how people will be wary about swimming in rivers but happily swim from beaches near river mouths (including backpackers in Darwin).

Apparently the greatest single death toll is thought to be 300-400 Japanese soldiers in Burma who decided to take a route through a swamp...

Bad decision.
Thats sad given that if the Jardine wasn't purposely dredged he probably could have driven across it. :( It's all about the dollar :mad:

Latest posts