Whinge of the day thread...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry @goldierocks!

"In major cities it is 60% compared with 76% for non-indigenous."
What is????
Does the gobbly gook in your post suggest that Australia day is supported or not by the demographics?
I love graphs and statistics, but make no sense of this at all!!!??
My reply was to answer Macka's question. i.e. he said "I donā€™t know how many First Nations People work". I was not having a go at Macka, most Australians would not know.

My comment re "It is easy to make simplistic but inaccurate assumptions" related in particular to assumptions often made about aboriginal employment. Indigenous people mostly don't live in tiny outback settlements hunting goannas and roos but in urban to semi-rural areas where they own cars, houses and educate themselves and their families the same as non-indigenous Australians.

I did not discuss anything about Australia Day. However it is worth keeping in mind that 23% of Aboriginal Australians and people from the Torres Strait Islands feel positive about Australia Day, 30% have mixed feelings and 31% feel negative. 71% of indigenous Australians marry non-indigenous partners, so by 2100 the majority of Australians will have some indigenous ancestry. Let's emphasize the positive, distinctions continue to blurr and become less and less with time. We are all Australians.

Last edited:
My reply was to answer Macka's question. i.e. he said "I donā€™t know how many First Nations People work". I did not discuss anything about Australia Day.

My comment re "It is easy to make simplistic but inaccurate assumptions" related in particular to assumptions often made about aboriginal employment. Indigenous people mostly don't live in tiny outback settlements hunting goannas and roos but in urban to semi-rural areas where they own cars, houses and educate themselves and their families the same as non-indigenous Australians.
Yup, you are a smart (arse) cookie!

If this bloke doesn't qualify as a pioneer then just not to sure whats required ? Myself I think the playing field needs to be levelled a little, after all this bloke goes back basically a century in time and yet had to fight to be recognised as such? Bureaucratic bull shite šŸ‘Ž
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/othe...taskbar&cvid=e94f6d97b2f04b569e99dd7dc359f931
As it says "Mr Carter was backed by the Town of Port Hedland". The issue was that the cemetery was now closed, and WA cemetery laws only require exceptions on such rules to be made AFTER a persons death, and he understandably wanted to know before he dies. Common sense prevailed. "Winning the battle" does not appear to have involved any legal action, but simply asking the State government to make an exception for him and his wife. Which they did. Seems a victory for common sense.

If this bloke doesn't qualify as a pioneer then just not to sure whats required ? Myself I think the playing field needs to be levelled a little, after all this bloke goes back basically a century in time and yet had to fight to be recognised as such? Bureaucratic bull shite šŸ‘Ž
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/othe...taskbar&cvid=e94f6d97b2f04b569e99dd7dc359f931
Too many rules and too little common sense. But where do we see common sense these days.. An endangered species and almost extinct.

As it says "Mr Carter was backed by the Town of Port Hedland". The issue was that the cemetery was now closed, and WA cemetery laws only require exceptions on such rules to be made AFTER a persons death, and he understandably wanted to know before he dies. Common sense prevailed. "Winning the battle" does not appear to have involved any legal action, but simply asking the State government to make an exception for him and his wife. Which they did. Seems a victory for common sense.
Sorry I wasn't aware that common sense was something that one should need to fight for much less achieve a victory to achieve ? Anyways bottom line should have been simply something that was granted out of pure respect to the man as far as I'm concerned. GR I could have an odds on bet that you always sat in the front row of the school class ;)šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

This was me at school šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£
John.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I wasn't aware that common sense was something that one should need to fight for much less achieve a victory to achieve ? Anyways bottom line should have been simply something that was granted out of pure respect to the man as far as I'm concerned. GR I could have an odds on bet that you always sat in the front row of the school class ;)šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
It was easier to snooze at the back of the class. Ran away at 14 and got a job in a sawmill. Lousy marks and never finished high school. Came back later but managed to avoid year 12. Such is life......

I have always preferred getting facts from reliable sources, rather than the urban myth version from blogs and a sensational and politicized media. Never really understood why many see this as political or "smart-arsed" in itself. Most of what is written in the media or the blogs is inaccurate at best, absolute nonsense at worst. I started working with indigenous Australians when there were still hunter-gatherers with spears, and know some of the grandchildren of those I worked with back then - so it is personal experience as well. We are one people who live in the best country on Earth in my opinion.

People are entitled to their opinions (but not to deface statues etc) and have varying views about the date itself. It is also when Britain founded the largest prison on Earth at the time, sending my ancestors there and prohibiting their return home (my ancestors in Australia are mostly 1839 and 1840). We are products of our history. But it doesn't stop me enjoying Australia Day and lamb chops on the barbie, because the aim of the day should be unity.

My reply was to answer Macka's question. i.e. he said "I donā€™t know how many First Nations People work". I was not having a go at Macka, most Australians would not know.

I did not discuss anything about Australia Day. However it is worth keeping in mind that 23% of Aboriginal Australians and people from the Torres Strait Islands feel positive about Australia Day, 30% have mixed feelings and 31% feel negative. 71% of indigenous Australians marry non-indigenous partners, so by 2100 the majority of Australians will have some indigenous ancestry. Let's emphasize the positive, distinctions continue to blurr and become less and less with time. We are all Australians.
With 4% of the population being indigenous, how will that equate to ā€œthe majorityā€ will have some indigenous ancestry by 2100 and can you explain the degree / bachelorsā€™s graph please? Mackka

Australia was supposedly settled 20+ thousands of years ago but never developed? The much discussed "invasion" in 1788 led to some bitter and deadly confrontations however Australia developed to what it is today, whether that is right or wrong seems to be an ongoing debate. How is Australia ever be "one" if this ongoing hatred continues? The increasing "giving" to the so called traditional owners is pathetic and just divides us even more so.
Using the UK as an example, countless invasions and control by foreign nations over countless centuries yet the country is "one. " There are some Poms who will disagree but the majority are proud of their "one" flag and a nation pulling together.
We have two flags, them and us, if we are to be a "one" nation there is only one way to pull together.

With 4% of the population being indigenous, how will that equate to ā€œthe majorityā€ will have some indigenous ancestry by 2100 and can you explain the degree / bachelorsā€™s graph please? Mackka
That graph shows the % employment among indigenous and non-indigenous people according to level of qualification. As one might expect, it is higher for those with a three year degree (Bachelors degree such as BA or BSc) or more) and lowest for those with leass than year 9. A completely different pattern to my youth, when only 7% went to university (half dropped out after first year) and jobs were there for the asking. Now "About half of Australians have a bachelorā€™s level degree or higher. (Statista)". "Around 40% of Australians aged 15-64 years had one qualification, while 24% had multiple qualifications (17% with two qualifications and 7% with three or more). " "In 2016, 10.9% of Aboriginal people overall aged 25 to 64 had a bachelor's degree or higher, up from 7.7% in 2006. The proportion of Aboriginal people with a college diploma rose from 18.7% in 2006 to 23.0% in 2016".

It does not take long for "most" of the population (more than 50%) to have some indigenous ancestry when such a high percentage are marrying non-indigenous persons, and when there are so many indigenous "children" under 20 compared with non-indigenous. Using the current definition of indigenous. Much higher indigenous birthrate. On average Australian couples don't reproduce themselves (1.6 kids per couple) and all population growth is by emigration or within the indigenous community.

The fertility rate is much higher among indigenous Australians: 55 per 1,000 women aged 15ā€“19 and 124 per 1,000 women aged 20ā€“24 (compared to 9 and 43 per 1,000 non-Aboriginal women). Rates are higher for women in remote areas.

In 2018, 7% of all births registered had one or both parents identify as Aboriginal.

Last edited:
That graph shows the % employment among indigenous and non-indigenous people according to level of qualification. As one might expect, it is higher for those with a three year degree (Bachelors degree such as BA or BSc) or more) and lowest for those with leass than year 9. A completely different pattern to my youth, when only 7% went to university and jobs were there for the asking.

It does not take long for "most" of the population (more than 50%) to have some indigenous ancestry when such a high percentage are marrying non-indigenous persons, and when there are so many indigenous "children" under 20 compared with non-indigenous. Using the current definition of indigenous. Much higher indigenous birthrate. On average Australian couples don't reproduce themselves (1.6 kids per couple) and all population growth is by emigration or within the indigenous community.

The fertility rate is much higher: 55 per 1,000 women aged 15ā€“19 and 124 per 1,000 women aged 20ā€“24 (compared to 9 and 43 per 1,000 non-Aboriginal women). Rates are higher for women in remote areas.

In 2018, 7% of all births registered had one or both parents identify as Aboriginal.
So that means that 93% of births had no aboriginality?

So that means that 93% of births had no aboriginality?
93% had either no aboriginality or did not identify as either. the latter being an important issue I suspect.

I don't know if that has a lot of significance. Independent surveying showed Aboriginal people reported their ancestry most commonly as Australian (45%), Great Britain (26%), and Australian Aboriginal (15.8%). I suspect that it is like the convicts in my family - most of the family did not know, and those who did, did not tell.

Source: Aboriginal population in Australia - Creative Spirits, retrieved from https://www.creativespirits.info/ab...e/aboriginal-population-in-australia#ancestry

Last edited:
Australia was supposedly settled 20+ thousands of years ago but never developed? The much discussed "invasion" in 1788 led to some bitter and deadly confrontations however Australia developed to what it is today, whether that is right or wrong seems to be an ongoing debate. How is Australia ever be "one" if this ongoing hatred continues? The increasing "giving" to the so called traditional owners is pathetic and just divides us even more so.
Using the UK as an example, countless invasions and control by foreign nations over countless centuries yet the country is "one. " There are some Poms who will disagree but the majority are proud of their "one" flag and a nation pulling together.
We have two flags, them and us, if we are to be a "one" nation there is only one way to pull together.
I'm all for one flag, but there are now FOUR where I come from......I'm for unity

1674348414774.png 1674349478434.png

Last edited:
Too many rules and too little common sense. But where do we see common sense these days.. An endangered species and almost extinct.
It has always been that way. Laws are made over 150 years or so and it takes someone to question a law before it can change (cemeteries close because of lack of space, but they found him two empty plots). They seem to have not made him go to court. I would not be able to be buried in the same cemetery as my grandparents, parents, and aunt in Victoria without applying.

When I was at uni, there was still a law that said any hotel had to provide stabling and fodder for the horses of travellers. So some students rode horses up Bourke St hill to the Southern Cross hotel and demanded that their horses be looked after for the night....

The marriage age was only raised above 12 in some States in the 1940s. Until someone tries to use or question a law, they just sit there on the books.

Latest posts