Whinge of the day thread...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is an offence to fly a kite 'to the annoyance of any person' or sing an 'obscene song or ballad' in a public place in Victoria. You can be jailed for up to a year for cleaning up seabird or bat poo without a licence in Western Australia and you can also be fined thousands of dollars for possessing more than 50kg of potatoes under certain circumstances. In Victoria, making unreasonable noise with a vacuum cleaner can bring a fine of up to $22,000. In Victoria, corresponding or doing business with pirates is illegal and can result in 10 years’ imprisonment. It is an offense to offer rewards for stolen property without asking questions in Tasmania and South Australia. It is illegal in most parts of Australia to wear a disguise without relevant cause. If you get electrocuted to death then you will have to pay fines to the government (it is illegal to touch electric wires that can lead to your death). In Victoria it’s against the law to pretend to tell people’s fortunes – or use witchcraft or ‘crafty science’– to discover where stolen goods might be found.

All sounds fair enough.......

93% had either no aboriginality or did not identify as either. the latter being an important issue I suspect.

I don't know if that has a lot of significance. Independent surveying showed Aboriginal people reported their ancestry most commonly as Australian (45%), Great Britain (26%), and Australian Aboriginal (15.8%). I suspect that it is like the convicts in my family - most of the family did not know, and those who did, did not tell.

Source: Aboriginal population in Australia - Creative Spirits, retrieved from https://www.creativespirits.info/ab...e/aboriginal-population-in-australia#ancestry
Census results show, Australia's Aboriginal population in 2021 as 881,600. Australias population in 2022 was 26M so with a bit of give and take the Aboriginal Population is approx. 3.3% of the total.

Census results show, Australia's Aboriginal population in 2021 as 881,600. Australias population in 2022 was 26M so with a bit of give and take the Aboriginal Population is approx. 3.3% of the total.
Probably a minimum, since you have to identify as aboriginal on the census to be included in those figures and many might not. So far as I can see there are no other indicators whatsoever in the census questions (eg it would be a bit clearer if people had to identify as (a) indigenous, (b) non-indigenous, (c) choose not to say).

In many area with indigenous communities and a highly transient population there would be thousands not even accounted for on the census

In many area with indigenous communities and a highly transient population there would be thousands not even accounted for on the census
100 % and then throw in those that have been born twice according to the records complicates it further. 🙄 Stats don't hold much value for me as for example stats show basic wage at the moments over $1800 a week. 🤔 That makes 99% of the people I know working for under the basic wage 🙄🤣🤣🤣

100 % and then throw in those that have been born twice according to the records complicates it further. 🙄 Stats don't hold much value for me as for example stats show basic wage at the moments over $1800 a week. 🤔 That makes 99% of the people I know working for under the basic wage 🙄🤣🤣🤣
That is actually the average income for all Australians, including billionaires, not the basic wage. The median pay (what most Australians earn) is $1019 a week ($52,988 a year), The minimum wage in Australia as of July 2021 is $772.60 per week for full-time employees (38 hours per week), which equates to a minimum hourly rate of $20.33. The only consolation being that the lowest 48% of Australian earners pay no net tax - but since almost nobody knows that it would not mean much, and does not pay the groceries. Inflation is biting now.....

Probably one of the few reliable statistics - I agree that most stats are rubbery.

That is actually the average income for all Australians, including billionaires, not the basic wage. The median pay (what most Australians earn) is $1019 a week ($52,988 a year), The minimum wage in Australia as of July 2021 is $772.60 per week for full-time employees (38 hours per week), which equates to a minimum hourly rate of $20.33. The only consolation being that the lowest 48% of Australian earners pay no net tax - but since almost nobody knows that it would not mean much, and does not pay the groceries. Inflation is biting now.....

Probably one of the few reliable statistics - I agree that most stats are rubbery.
Well I pay myself less than 1019.00pw yet as a company I pay neatly double in tax 😅 minimum wage quotes are about as accurate as rubbery stat's. It's a no brainer Billionaires are included in the stats. With tax minimisation and the ability to make it work in your favour difficult for businesses like mine yet for some of the wealthy much easier it won't charge any stats no matter what figures are printed. At the end of the day the lower socio-economic population will always end up with the worst financial outcomes 🍻

I have no aboriginal ancestry so i feel entitled to ask the question.
What is the generational limit to claiming to be aboriginal?
If my great grandmother was aboriginal would her offspring still be classed as aboriginal in the year 2200?
Seems that's the way it is. Why?

If my great grandmother was aboriginal would her offspring still be classed as aboriginal in the year 2200?
Fair question. That is the way it is in Australia but not in countries like the USA. And it has very limited basis in science (genetics).

It is one thing that confuses me with "Voice from the heart" and inclusion in the constitution. Since by the Australian definition, most Australians will have indigenous ancestry by 2100 (albeit mostly tiny), a system devised to give a voice to a small minority will become a system giving a special voice to the majority with time. But since you have to have both more than 50% of Australians and more than 50% of States voting yes, it would become increasingly difficult to ever remove the change.

It needs more discussion n that it seems to be getting.

Becomes a lot more complicated than needing more discussion good sir. What if those who hold the records to your ancestry refuse to release them to you? This being regardless of being a first nation descendant or not, the information re;leased to me is zip. Also has more consequences than many realise especially in one's older years. A doctor asks questions regards family medical history and often appears quite confused when the answer is "There is no history" not even a nationality. As for being a part of a minority or majority, I really don't give a rats, but when it comes to not being allowed information that has more to do with myself than any other not being allowed or given. Something stinks 🤔 Looks, tastes and smells like shite ? Then odds on it is ;)
Had to edit to add......................... but they offer you 82K ? Pass on that I'll take the info instead thanks. But still the answer is no. Shady business, pricks have got more moves than a chess board :cool:

Last edited:
E / B regardless of your ancestry you still have the right to ask the question. But currently you do not need much to qualify, what the future holds who knows ? The goal posts keep moving ..

It is an offence to fly a kite 'to the annoyance of any person' or sing an 'obscene song or ballad' in a public place in Victoria. You can be jailed for up to a year for cleaning up seabird or bat poo without a licence in Western Australia and you can also be fined thousands of dollars for possessing more than 50kg of potatoes under certain circumstances. In Victoria, making unreasonable noise with a vacuum cleaner can bring a fine of up to $22,000. In Victoria, corresponding or doing business with pirates is illegal and can result in 10 years’ imprisonment. It is an offense to offer rewards for stolen property without asking questions in Tasmania and South Australia. It is illegal in most parts of Australia to wear a disguise without relevant cause. If you get electrocuted to death then you will have to pay fines to the government (it is illegal to touch electric wires that can lead to your death). In Victoria it’s against the law to pretend to tell people’s fortunes – or use witchcraft or ‘crafty science’– to discover where stolen goods might be found.

All sounds fair enough.......
Amazing stuff there. Australian govts in general seem to think they are not doing their job unless they keep enacting new laws. The worst thing tho is the general populace seem to lap it up.

Amazing stuff there. Australian govts in general seem to think they are not doing their job unless they keep enacting new laws. The worst thing tho is the general populace seem to lap it up.
It is a bit the opposite - almost all of those are old laws that have become irrelevant in modern society. In most cases they were probably good laws at the time and no one has noticed them since to bother to abolish them. Things change - for example it is illegal to tie a goat to your vehicle when travelling along a road, Not something you see every day nowadays.....

Becomes a lot more complicated than needing more discussion good sir. What if those who hold the records to your ancestry refuse to release them to you? This being regardless of being a first nation descendant or not, the information re;leased to me is zip. Also has more consequences than many realise especially in one's older years. A doctor asks questions regards family medical history and often appears quite confused when the answer is "There is no history" not even a nationality. As for being a part of a minority or majority, I really don't give a rats, but when it comes to not being allowed information that has more to do with myself than any other not being allowed or given. Something stinks 🤔 Looks, tastes and smells like shite ? Then odds on it is ;)
Had to edit to add......................... but they offer you 82K ? Pass on that I'll take the info instead thanks. But still the answer is no. Shady business, pricks have got more moves than a chess board :cool:
Must be bloody frustrating if not soul-destroying Bogger. If it became an issue medically one can get some of that info from a DNA determination which is not particularly expensive. That would also tell you where your ancestors came from and might even turn up some relatives. We are talking $70 - $200 and it takes less than 15 minutes in your own home. We thought my partner's ancestry was eastern Europe but it turned out to be Saudi and Armenian. Some medical issues are genetic and can be picked up using DNA markers. She then found 8 second cousins from the DNA alone. There are many companies but "Ancestry" probably has the largest database, which increases your chance of finding someone you are related to..

https://dna-testing-for-health-australia.csonlinehj.com/

Last edited:
Good info there Goldie and will follow up on that 👍 Frustrating indeed but no problem with the soul :D 👍One must make it clear here, I had a great Dad & Mum, my Mum for me being the lady who nursed me when sick and put the band aids on my knee when I fell of my pushy so no hang ups or issues in that department. It's purely the walls one hits when simply trying to gain access to information that I believe is my right to know? I actually find it disgusting to put it mildly and appears that the harder and deeper I dig the higher the walls become . 🙄
The two birth certificates in different names is the spin out for me. How can birth records record and show the birth of two people when only one was born? Looks like I'll probably die twice also then perhaps ? Maybe? :D🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You are 100% correct on Ancestry Goldie. Owned and run by the Mormans whom have the largest database in the world. Expensive and time consuming. Mackka

I'm pretty sure Shine Lawyers are sorting that side of things as all part of the class action that is being mounted. For me it's now become as much a matter of principle as it is a wish to know 🤔

Latest posts