Whinge of the day thread...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pensioners, the forgotten generation.
Yes LW and NJ it's a bloody disgrace how ALL Govt's treat Pensioners and the Self Funded Retiree is not in any better shape either and people are worried about a 1% increase in mortgages, give me a break if they hadn't factored in at least a 5% rise over the next few years then they couldn't afford the thing in the first place.

As well as the near pensioners.
A few years ago when applying for a part pension we found our joint superannuation income took us $400 per year over the pension threshold. Given the value that can be ascribed to those concessions we were probably worse off than if we had less income and qualified for the concession card.

My Whinge today is.... Cash Payments to the Workers of Australia to help with the rising costs of living.... Just WOW.... What about the rest of Australians who are suffering a hell of a lot worse than the Workers.... The Pensioners are hurting more than those in power think...
Please, who-ever gets in next, just have a think about the Forgotten Souls before you hand out the Cash...
so true mate they blame every thing on covid but pensions don't increase where cost of fuel and food double and wage increases government is a joke when we survive on $370 a week

Well don’t say i didn’t predict it. China signs a security pact with the Soloman Islands. Chinese military less than 2,000 k’s from Oz. Time to rip up the Darwin Port Agreement. Thank God the Phillippines had more sense. Mackka

Exactly my point. This is not going to end well as China have been looking closely at Putin’s attempt and his failure. China will not make the same mistakes. By the way, hows ya Mandarin these days, we may all need it by 2030.

people are worried about a 1% increase in mortgages, give me a break if they hadn't factored in at least a 5% rise over the next few years then they couldn't afford the thing in the first place
My 1st mortgage was in 2005 and it got to 7% and change – a lot of change I think!

Right now I’m fixed for 2 more years at 2.04%

In 2 years the bank will offer me a new deal. It won’t be 2%... it won’t be 4%... hard reality time will come to me

On another note: With an election looming large, and the population aging more than ever before – are there no votes worthy of chasing that give Pensioners a living income?

Oh
My 1st mortgage was in 2005 and it got to 7% and change – a lot of change I think!

Right now I’m fixed for 2 more years at 2.04%

In 2 years the bank will offer me a new deal. It won’t be 2%... it won’t be 4%... hard reality time will come to me

On another note: With an election looming large, and the population aging more than ever before – are there no votes worthy of chasing that give Pensioners a living income?
WTF! I just don't get why so many people are freeking out about mortgage rates, you can't expect to be getting virtually free money forever!
Wind the clock back to 1990 when my mortgage was 16.5% ($2,200pcm repayment) and my $45,0000 car loan was 19.5% (1,290pcm)
Figure out your repayments at those rates to experience the real pain of raising interest rates.
All this back in the days when a good (at the time) bubble jet printer cost $1,200 a basic 26" tube TV $1,000 a rear projection TV $9,000 and a plasma TV $40,000 credit cards @ 24% personal loans 20%

Now it's "oh no it might go up to 4 or 5%"

HA!

Oh
WTF! I just don't get why so many people are freeking out about mortgage rates, you can't expect to be getting virtually free money forever!
Wind the clock back to 1990 when my mortgage was 16.5% ($2,200pcm repayment) and my $45,0000 car loan was 19.5% (1,290pcm)
Figure out your repayments at those rates to experience the real pain of raising interest rates.
All this back in the days when a good (at the time) bubble jet printer cost $1,200 a basic 26" tube TV $1,000 a rear projection TV $9,000 and a plasma TV $40,000 credit cards @ 24% personal loans 20%

Now it's "oh no it might go up to 4 or 5%"

HA!
But you forget there is just so much more stuff that people today just have to spend their money on.
IPhones, Computers, games consoles and software, Netflix, foxtel and Fitbits to count their steps, Everone should have a Louis Voutton handbag, Nike Air or fashionable ripped clothes. Not to mention botox & bolts through lips and various body parts, Jelly in bums and breasts, tattoos over much of the body surface, How about a Foo Fighters ticket, a few harmless rave drugs or overtaxed cigarettes, a couple of $6 lattes a day. Or if you just want to go out rather than pay to have meals delivered to your door, a $12 glass of wine and a Pizza with a few slices of meat on top for $30 At your local bistro.
Oh and I forgot a new Minelab 6000.

But you forget there is just so much more stuff that people today just have to spend their money on.
IPhones, Computers, games consoles and software, Netflix, foxtel and Fitbits to count their steps, Everone should have a Louis Voutton handbag, Nike Air or fashionable ripped clothes. Not to mention botox & bolts through lips and various body parts, Jelly in bums and breasts, tattoos over much of the body surface, How about a Foo Fighters ticket, a few harmless rave drugs or overtaxed cigarettes, a couple of $6 lattes a day. Or if you just want to go out rather than pay to have meals delivered to your door, a $12 glass of wine and a Pizza with a few slices of meat on top for $30 At your local bistro.
Oh and I forgot a new Minelab 6000.
Yes, well they're just the essentials, everybody needs those!
My first mobile brick (phone) cost $1250 in 1990 was about 1/10th as good as a $50 prepaid today and the computer was a bargain @ $3,000 had a 133meg processor and a 500mb hard drive cutting edge stuff.. About as quick as a sloth on steroids!

They simply want us Pensioners to die.... Pensions need to raise a hell of a lot more than $1.60 pf or there about....

At least let those who are still able to do some work, Work with-out getting slammed for doing some casual work... Several industries will benefit with the much needed influx of workers if this was allowed...

LW...

They simply want us Pensioners to die.... Pensions need to raise a hell of a lot more than $1.60 pf or there about....

At least let those who are still able to do some work, Work with-out getting slammed for doing some casual work... Several industries will benefit with the much needed influx of workers if this was allowed...

LW...
Just not good for Australia as a nation either, it means that when you reach retirement age these days, the current system mostly ensures that you and your skills are permanently lost to our National workforce.

Just not good for Australia as a nation either, it means that when you reach retirement age these days, the current system mostly ensures that you and your skills are permanently lost to our National workforce.
100% this country certainly gives no incentive to work hard either before or after retirement. I think it's also the only country that pays it's workers more when they are on holiday than actually working

100% this country certainly gives no incentive to work hard either before or after retirement. I think it's also the only country that pays it's workers more when they are on holiday than actually working
Damn! I should have had a job, I've been on holidays for about 20 years.
🤔😁😅😂🤣

No, other countries such as the UK do (17.5%) and a few countries give longer annual leave although most are similar.

And most western counties tax your earnings as a pensioner (eg UK, USA). Australia just goes with the flow.....except that we dont tax money from superannuation pensions until a fairly high figure.

And in France they are rioting about increasing the pension age from 60 (for those born before 1951, 62 if younger). For Australia it will be 67 from next year. So they do give an incentive to work when you are older in Australia - by not giving you a pension until 7 years older than the French!

Some countries tax you on what you own (wealth tax) not just what you earn

1651486890607.png
So pluses and minuses - I don't see employers rushing to employ older workers here anyway (although the age is slowly increasing). Usually if it sounds good for a particular country, they get it from you some other way (e.g. Norway's additional social security tax on top of income tax)..

Last edited:
The Fruit and Vege Industry would benefit immensely . (They were the ones who came up with the idea, only to be shot down by Scumo during Covid..) Then We wouldn't need to Bring in as many 457 visa workers if this was allowed in Australia... Love to Travel and Pick Fruit to give me a bit of extra cash... To help pay for the Petrol it will cost me... But there is definitely NO Incentive to do this, So we all pay for it in the shops with rising Fruit and Vege prices... And Farmers and Growers just letting fruit rot on the trees and ground cause they just don't have the Workers to pick their crops......

Not all Pensioners are old and frail and over 65 you know...:rolleyes: I became one at the prime age of 45...:oops:
I Much prefer to still be running around on Construction sites earning $2000+pw...

LW....

Last edited:

Latest posts