Whinge of the day thread...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, other countries such as the UK do (17.5%) and a few countries give longer annual leave although most are similar.

And most western counties tax your earnings as a pensioner (eg UK, USA). Australia just goes with the flow.....except that we dont tax money from superannuation pensions until a fairly high figure.

And in France they are rioting about increasing the pension age from 60 (for those born before 1951, 62 if younger). For Australia it will be 67 from next year. So they do give an incentive to work when you are older in Australia - by not giving you a pension until 7 years older than the French!

Some countries tax you on what you own (wealth tax) not just what you earn

View attachment 1321
So pluses and minuses - I don't see employers rushing to employ older workers here anyway (although the age is slowly increasing). Usually if it sounds good for a particular country, they get it from you some other way (e.g. Norway's additional social security tax on top of income tax)..
Just part of the master plan!
Get as many as possible to suicide from the stresses of a wealth tax before any pension is due & step in with DEATH Tax (many countries have one) get a substantial amount from their house and assets then the remainder goes to recipients of the will, who now become wealthy enough to qualify for the wealth tax.
Don't you love. A good scam!

The Fruit and Vege Industry would benefit immensely . (They were the ones who came up with the idea, only to be shot down by Scumo during Covid..) Then We wouldn't need to Bring in as many 457 visa workers if this was allowed in Australia... Love to Travel and Pick Fruit to give me a bit of extra cash... To help pay for the Petrol it will cost me... But there is definitely NO Incentive to do this, So we all pay for it in the shops with rising Fruit and Vege prices... And Farmers and Growers just letting fruit rot on the trees and ground cause they just don't have the Workers to pick their crops......

Not all Pensioners are old and frail and over 65 you know...:rolleyes: I became one at the prime age of 45...:oops:
I Much prefer to still be running around on Construction sites earning $2000+pw...

LW....
The UK thought of that.....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/top-torys-heartless-plan-put-7551536
But yes, if you can still work, why not? Especially if you are not eligible for a pension anyway. There is little doubt that ceasing work is the start of decline for many (but of course a lot don't then do paid work - some go gold detecting).

I had no choice... Medical Reasons with Mrs Wolf....😢 I feel useless sometimes as im not contributing to Society...
Thats why i would like to pick fruit or throw a bit of AC Duct work up and pay Tax if i was allowed...
It gets to you after awhile...

LW...

I had no choice... Medical Reasons with Mrs Wolf....😢 I feel useless sometimes as im not contributing to Society...
Thats why i would like to pick fruit or throw a bit of AC Duct work up and pay Tax if i was allowed...

LW...
LW i couldn’t agree more. Being retired is crap. I would much prefer being out conversing with clients and hopefully solving their issues, however, when Covid struck, so did the axe. Being of retiring age i took it on the chin and thought, well i have done my bit snd paid my taxes for over 45 years. Health is everything, and don’t ever forget it. Work for as long as you want and as long as you enjoy what you are doing. Best Wishes to you and importantly, your Wife. Mackka

I agree Mackka. As soon as you in that position due to voluntary redundancy or not you must have retirement plan organise. That includes a smaller house, going on road and renting the house out -which is now possible due to the housing shortage. Being able to have a sufficient income to enjoy yourself and still maintain your assets. There are things like rates ,power, water and sewage which all add up. I don't know how you would work out power unless direct debited. The other stuff can be of course.
All we had when we came back from a 7 week trip around was nothing as we direct debit and pay an extra amount via direct debit which reduces the rates to council bill -we didn't rent out-bit risky with cross river travellers.

LW...
So many things one can do. I belong to a Men's shed - we make children's toys for charity, run sausage sizzles outside Bunnings to raise money for charity. You can mend fences for farmers after bushfires, or help after floods. Only a minority of people are physically significantly impared by 65 (I am nearly a decade older), and it is almost impossible to be "useless" if one makes an effort to do something. For example I have seen people complain about emigrants not learning English. but it costs a lot in a new country - but there are language mentoring programmes where you simply spend an hour or so each week with a new emigrant family. Then there are groups like Rotary and Lions (I reckon Men's Shed's can be among the best solutions, since one shed often has many activities you can engage in - e.g. helping disabled pensioners at home to repair furniture, hang blinds, replace light globes etc. or just fill in interminible government forms).

One member of my family could do little physically, but was still translating books into braile for the blind in her 90s (on a computer). Most people have many decades at some skill by the time they retire, and those skills are usually of great value to others - you probably do them BETTER than many young people in the game.

LW i couldn’t agree more. Being retired is crap. I would much prefer being out conversing with clients and hopefully solving their issues, however, when Covid struck, so did the axe. Being of retiring age i took it on the chin and thought, well i have done my bit snd paid my taxes for over 45 years. Health is everything, and don’t ever forget it. Work for as long as you want and as long as you enjoy what you are doing. Best Wishes to you and importantly, your Wife. Mackka
Not sure I understand the crap part Mackka ? Unless bad health prevents which can prevent regardless of age, you now have the time to get out and do a zillion things. I always found work got in the way of living? Always tried to work to live not live to work ;) BUT if one is not happy with a situation then one must take steps to change it............................ this can sometimes take a giant leap to do so. 😀

Thats the plan Diginit..... Travel is Our dream and goal next year...

LW...
All I could offer here LW is you never know when the last day is, so don't put it off. Not a negative thought in any way just a realistic one. Only regret i have is I wasted to many years hesitating and dreaming, but i can assure you currently making up for lost time and indeed living what used to be but a dream. 👍

Latest posts