where to get a cheap 2nd hand caravan in sydney?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi folks im jimmy. im about to start a fossicking adventure.
But im on a very tight budget. So I looking for a really cheap
caravan in sydney area. To buy or rent for up to 6mnths.
I dont mind if its old and alittle banged up. As long as it has all the basics.
Gotta leave the big smoke for awhile. And an extended fossicking Trip would be
great medicine. I live in sydney and can pick up if its not too far out and some rego.
I dont expect too much as i only have about a grand or so. If theres anyone with any info
on where i might find a cheap van.... It would be the last peace in my puzzle and Im outta here.
although i am totally new to fossicking... Its just what i need right now.
I m really looking forward to getting out in nature and the possibility of finding afew stones is a nice dream.
thanks for any info guys.
Highest regards. . Jimmy.

Hi, although from S.A. I thought I'ld tell you that for $1,000 you are not going to get much at all in the way of a caravan. You don't say how long you are gonna be away, but you should be able to rent a van or a camper in the mid $30/day.

That would give you a bit over a month away and at least it would be better fitted out than a leaky and probably unroadworthy wreck that you would buy.

Do a search on Google or the Yellow pages and ring around the rental agencies.

Hi Jimmy,
The caravan sales place at Windsor had some low priced vans for sale and the web sites for RV's did too a couple of real old vans(1980's) for under $1000.

Bob.

Yeah your probly right condor. But i remember that place your talking about bob.
Thought that place would be long gone. use to live in one out the back of my oldys in st clair in the early 90.
Just gotta track down the number. Thanks guys. I let you know how i do.

Jimmy.

I run adds in the papers wanting to buy an old van up to the value of (your budget) $$$... turns up a lot of junk but once in a while a good one turns up that tinkered with in my spare time can bring a $2000 + profit.. BUT look twice buying this sort of stuff as a lot of vans ect are only only scrap because far too much work is needed to bring them back... try to get one with a usable annexe as well because they are very expensive..... Avoid old canvas covered trailers ,fold outs, wind ups... ect as new canvas is very expensive :)

Try driving around too and knocking on the doors of places you see an old van out the back, would get a lot of knock backs but I know of people that have bought cars and boats this way so can't see any difference for vans.

I've seen very cheap vans show up on gumtree and ebay too.

I ran into a prospector I know that is completely itinerant a couple of days ago and he was towing an old Jayco 2 berth campervan. Asked him about it and he had bought it for 6 grams of gold and a handful of sapphires, reckons all the canvas is good and the fridge and gas stove still works so the bargains are out there!

Great info guys. thanks. gonna do some ringing around today. let you know what turns up. cheers.

There are a lot of FB sites for... Buy Swap and sell.
Caravans come up on them regularly.
We got a 75 van with full annex for $800. No rego. A friend got an early 80s model with annex n rego for $1000.

not on face book but very interested. is your friend far from sydney area.
is the any chance you can get me some pics?

Good luck, vans are very well sort after.
However down in Sydney and Central coast there are some good buys.
Don't be afraid of no rego as blue slips are not to hard to get.
A gas fridge is the go with free camping and a solar panel too.
I done 4 months last year in a 11 ft pop top and had a great time.
There are lots of free camp site around, I only paid for one night in a park.
Get away from the coast and up some of those smaller country roads.
State forests are good too, black springs was a great area and nundle was my favourite
Camp place.
I hope to leave in two weeks in my bigger set up, a 21 ft caravan. Feels like a house
To live in :)
If you believe then it will come to you.

I'm a solo prospector so all I camp in is the 4x4 trayback ute I have. For long stays where I setup a base camp I have a RZ5oz tent to give me a little bit more room as it tends to get a little bit claustrophobic living in the back of the ute. On the back of the ute I has a steel frame canopy with a tin roof lined on the inside to stop condensation and also insulates as well. The sides are heavy duty vinyl, this cost me $250.00. IT also has a 3mt wide awning which runs the full lenght of the tray. I have a $300.00 roof basket and a 80w solar panel to go on the top. The solar runs down to a ark power pak which charges a 120amp deep cycle battery whichs runs a 70lt fridge, camp lights (led strips and a floodlight) and a battery charger, 1000 watt inverter and a 12 volt travel buddy oven.
I thought about buying a small caravan or camper trailer but being solo I don't need much room and I don't have that much junk to carry.
:) Mick

Well guys, Still havent been fossicking yet. but 1 step closer..
Managed to get a 1975 14"ft millard with brand new/never been used annexe for a grand.
pretty much stripped inside ready to be decked out as a man cave.
Should have rego next week.
So with a little luck i could be out the "bend" in 3 to 4 weeks.
Trying to upload a pic but wont like me choose a file.....??!
Has there been any good finds around oberon recently?

Latest posts