Fishermen.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD3

Reaction score
Hey guys. Anyone else here like their fishing? Think it's probably a dumb question but just wondering, no spots required as Im not that silly though some of those I know think I am, but any got out lately after lock down and caught a few? Me I'm gonna have a crack tomorrow, had a detect and got two lilltle bits so am happy with that as I dont go hard for it now and its just a hobby, past time. Im more than happy to see the right colour regardless of size these days. But I do love my fishing too. I love my trout and reddy fishing, any fish really as Iv lived from inland to the coast in my life but these days its inland. Me I love these days using soft plastics. Some I colour or use scents on to trick them up a bit. So nope, do not want to know where you get em, just is anyone else a keen mad fisho like me? And how have you been going?

Plenty of blokes here go fishing mate, think theres even a few threads here.

Went out last summer and banged on a few reddies after couple years not getting out but then the lockdown came along and the warm days and nights with a bit of rain that make the fish bite got cancelled. :mad:

Got right into the soft plastics and a good casting rod, paid off. 1st day with the new rod second cast got one about 4 feet from the edge, nice 3/4 pounder.

Was only talking to a mate about reviving an old Queens Bday tradition of going crayfishing, not even sure where its legal anymore.

OldGT said:
Plenty of blokes here go fishing mate, think theres even a few threads here.

Went out last summer and banged on a few reddies after couple years not getting out but then the lockdown came along and the warm days and nights with a bit of rain that make the fish bite got cancelled. :mad:

Got right into the soft plastics and a good casting rod, paid off. 1st day with the new rod second cast got one about 4 feet from the edge, nice 3/4 pounder.

Was only talking to a mate about reviving an old Queens Bday tradition of going crayfishing, not even sure where its legal anymore.
Good one. Where I am in central vic, just a week before the lock down it was reddy season as they came in from the deep to the shallows to spawn and they went right off! Every cast got a hit and every third or fourth you got a fish, keeper size from 1 to 2 1/2 lb. Was loving it, and all from the shore too. Then lock down, bummer. Didn't even get a crack at the trout! Still put a dozen nice 2 lb plus in the freezer, four left. Were nice eating too. Funny as years ago reddies were throw aways like carp :lol:
Hope tomorrow I get some, just a couple will make my day to be honest. Do like my Berkley Grubs and T tails, fish candy!.
Tight lines mate!

Winter snapper are in and getting bigger if you like your salt water fishing. Port Melbourne area is doing really well. Going on soft plastics but mainly fresh pilchard. Lagoon pier is the go if you are after a spot to fish. The salmon also come through in schools pretty much every night.

Kozi M said:
Winter snapper are in and getting bigger if you like your salt water fishing. Port Melbourne area is doing really well. Going on soft plastics but mainly fresh pilchard. Lagoon pier is the go if you are after a spot to fish. The salmon also come through in schools pretty much every night.
That's a kind heads up mate in anyones language. Wish I could get there but got a hold back right now with a relative that looks might, hope not, waiting on a covid test. Not doing well right now but am hoping its just a flu. Cant travel at this stage. Yeah, a mate here that goes to the coast said the sambos were on too. Im a bit envious right now. :Y:

davent said:
Dont mind an odd Barra bash.
In all my travels thats my greatest dissapointment. A Barra. Caught macs, sharks, trevs, king salmons.....Only one I ever hooked, barra. I was on a bridge at Cooktown, looked ok, maybe just 15 lb though, but was a croc on the left bank. I was NOT going to go and get it. Tried a lift and the line broke when it got a few feet out of the water. End of my barra effort. 8.( Such is life.

So went to Laanacoorie yesterday. Donuts. Went there the week before lockdown and the reds were going right off. Got a dozen for the freezer. Two left around 2 lb each. Didn't get even a follow or hit after about 50 casts.
Cairn Curran, rubbish, real low and algae. Stupid lockdown fishing no go. Missed the best of it. :/

Feel for you mate. Every year I just tell myself next summer :Y:

The beauty of it is just as the rods are going into storage, the detectors are coming out :goldnugget:

OldGT said:
Feel for you mate. Every year I just tell myself next summer :Y:

The beauty of it is just as the rods are going into storage, the detectors are coming out :goldnugget:
Yeah. I was so hanging for this years reddie season. Was and did shape up as a great one. At Lana it was great! Every second cast of a softie got a hit or follow and every fourth or thereabouts you got a fish. And 2 out of 3 were keepers. Waters too cold now. Then I saw minnows in the shallows too. Now nothing. Ah well, had a couple of good goes which was a lot of fun. Looking forward to next week to have a detect. Mow the lawn day today for her that must be obeyed :lol:
Battery charged, pick sharpened and all systems go for Tuesday. :Y:

Water may be cold and big reddies will be down deep in holes. They will still bite, a bit slower than usual but bite they will.

Redfin said:
Water may be cold and big reddies will be down deep in holes. They will still bite, a bit slower than usual but bite they will.
Yeah true. One guy I know with a boat gets them often in all seasons. I just bank fish and rely on weather and seasonal times like spawning which happened during "LOCKDOWN" :lol: Have heard of some good catches in boats out deep at Tullaroop. But from those fishing the shoreline like I do are getting right now pretty much nothing. Still, the Trout season for us shories is about to happen in lakes and rivers so still something to look forward to. :D
Edit add here. Knew a bloke who used to fish Cairn Curran in a boat, haven't seen him in the last several years, hope he just moved and nothing happened otherwise. But he used to make some crazy great catches in his boat near the deep submerged trees using Icelandic Ice Jigs! Big reddies too as well as some yellas. Something to try for the boaties here I reckon.

JD3 said:
Redfin said:
Yeah true. One guy I know with a boat gets them often in all seasons. I just bank fish and rely on weather and seasonal times like spawning which happened during "LOCKDOWN" :lol: Have heard of some good catches in boats out deep at Tullaroop. But from those fishing the shoreline like I do are getting right now pretty much nothing. Still, the Trout season for us shories is about to happen in lakes and rivers so still something to look forward to. :D
Edit add here. Knew a bloke who used to fish Cairn Curran in a boat, haven't seen him in the last several years, hope he just moved and nothing happened otherwise. But he used to make some crazy great catches in his boat near the deep submerged trees using Icelandic Ice Jigs! Big reddies too as well as some yellas. Something to try for the boaties here I reckon.

Mate, get yourself a fishing kayak, plenty of options according to budget, but get something reasonably long as they will track better. Peddle units like the hobi are great but the humble hand paddle type are great too.

Heaps of Yellas being caught at Cairn Curran atm.
Another mare bagged out the other morning on the Loddon next to the bridge at Lanacoorie River reserve. [small yabbies]

Eucumbene is going off.

Water on ground that hasnt been flooded for about three years.

Redfin said:
Heaps of Yellas being caught at Cairn Curran atm.
Another mare bagged out the other morning on the Loddon next to the bridge at Lanacoorie River reserve. [small yabbies]
Heard that too. Levels low but good fishing. :Y: Been fishing a bit myself lately and its been great.
Only bad one is Tullaroop. Has had blue green algae alert for the past 12 mths and can confirm it too. All through the water column. Great spot for huge fish but I wont go near that stuff. Blue green has been confirmed as connected with Motor Nuerone Disease. Still people fish in it and eat em. Not me. Wont go near a waterway with blue green.

Latest posts