What is a Aboriginal today

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blisters said:
This brief highlights the problem the Aboriginal people face by having what they want or need determined by others.

On one hand there are little records kept of Aboriginal lineage unlike non Aboriginal yet, that is one of the three determining factors of proof.

Imagine the frustration of having to provide authentic documentary evidence showing direct line of ancestry through a family name to the time of colonisation just to keep your kid in school. All this when the Government from colonisation, sought to airbrush the Aboriginal people from the face of the map.

At least some common sense has been raised acknowledging that strict interpretation of the three tests will exclude Aboriginals and that defining Aboriginality perhaps should be left to Aboriginals, not by a Parliament and court which is not representative of the Aboriginal people.

Thanks for posting this brief Outback.

The other problem for many Aboriginal people too, could be similar to that of native American people, in that there is ignorance among non-native people regarding exactly how first nations people are expected to act or behave, to be considered genuine. A Hollywood version of native people is all some city folk have to go on, based on outdated stereotypes. A classic example here in Australia is the Didgeridoo, and even this evening on the ABC's 7.30 current affairs show, there was a story about the Shenhua Watermark coal mine and it's cultural impact on the Gamilaroi people and their sacred sites in Northern NSW. As is often the case when something is reported about Aboriginal people, they chose Didgeridoo music for a soundtrack. I find that interesting as prior to white settlement the Didgeridoo was only played in a couple of small areas on the far north coast of Australia, roughly from around Arnhem land to the Kimberley. And yet, apparently they think that's what the audience wants when it hears an Aboriginal people related story regardless of where in Australia it is set, and without regard to the cultural practices of that particular group of people.

It is amazing how dismissive and insensitive some can be towards Aboriginal sites of significance. They showed an area near Gunnedah where there is a large rock area that has deep grooves in it, apparently it was the area where the Gamilaroi warriors used to sharpen their spearheads. It is an awesome sight. The mining company is offering to move it somewhere else, out of its historical context, out of the way so that they can mine it.

It holds extra meaning to the Gamilaroi because to them it is like a war memorial, a visual testimony to their resistance to white settlement, their warriors last stand if you like. Imagine for one moment if a mining company suddenly realized there were minerals under the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, and offered to move it some place else, dig up the unknown soldier even and give him a new place to rest. There would be outrage, and rightly so, because of course there are some things that are so important that they have no commercial value. And, as Fossickers post above shows, the Gamilaroi warrior blood lives on in their descendants still. :power:

Deepseeker said:
...there are some things that are so important that they have no commercial value....

Yep the Aboriginal people are unique to other inhabitants of Australia and their history and culture is worth more than a few extra taxes. Recognition and respect is a step towards reconciliation.

This topic has been stripped bare through someones rose coloured glasses no point posting censorship is everywhere follow the mob or shut up :argh:

Thanks Goldtrapper. While on the subject, a timely reminder about white highjacking of Aboriginal Heritage.

Ion Idriess was a white man of course, who for some time did live among different Aboriginal people around Cairns and Cooktown. I haven't read the book, so I honestly don't know how accurate his information is regarding "The Red Chief" Gambu Ganuurru or his people around Gunnedah. It's interesting though that his original book cover when it was released in 1953 was this:-
1591933152_idreissoriginal1953.jpg

The latest edition though, uses a different photo for the front cover. And, just like the appropriation of the Didgeridoo to keep the white folks attention when selling any Aboriginal story, the book now uses the photo of a Wurrundjeri man from around Melbourne in Vic dressed for corroboree, not a warrior chief from Northern NSW. I can see why many Indigenous people get annoyed at the white telling of their stories.
1591934744_wurundjeriman.jpg

While on the subject of Gamilaroi warriors, here's a photo of another one from World War 2. RAAF Fighter Pilot Len Waters
1591934624_gamilaroifigther2.jpg

Deepseeker said:
happyenough said:
This topic has been stripped bare through someones rose coloured glasses no point posting censorship is everywhere follow the mob or shut up :argh:

Great Advice happyenough. Now follow it :Y: :D

If the subject was about teddy bear someone would get their feelings hurt so lets just close it down rather than act like adults which from my observations was already happening.

What is that saying about cement and girls blouses :)

Political correctness is alive and well even here 8.(

As for the didgeridoo sound track, I am not Aboriginal (To my knowledge) but it makes me proud to be an Aussie when I hear it, pick your battles worry about something that matters , and sometimes stereo types are good things. Even being a bogan is popular these days.

Sticks and stones may break some bones but names will never hurt me.
Doesn't matter what race you are from some prick will try belittle you at some stage , grow a set and own your heritage or the hand you've been dealt, most school yard bullies end up being deadshit adults with alot less in life than the kids they picked on.
When someone bullies you set a goal to be greater then them in every aspect and if that doesn't work get fit and kick their arse.

Judge people by their personality and actions only, don't stoop to America's behavior they have far greater race opression than meets the eye.

I believe this topic has run pretty well considering it's potential to explode. The mods have done very well :clap: :clap: :clap:

I love ya's all and this is still the lucky country compared to most :D

There is an excellent post on a social media platform that I can't stand (Farcebook), by a young lady of Aboriginal descent, named Jacinta Nampijinpa Price. I am not sure if I can or should link to it, but you can likely search for her on Facebook.

A very balanced and well put together history of their rights, etc, since white settlement.

Rob P.

Just to touch on what deepseeker said above, it might sound trivial to us regarding background didge music or changes in book cover but our land mass was home to over 200 countries of the Aboriginal people.

From our perspective an analogy would be Europe which contains many countries. Then a book about the French has the cover changed showing a person in traditional Greek dress and we know that would be outrageous to the French. It's basic respect. It's the same with the different Aboriginal countries and it doesn't seem to be a leap at all to understand that.

It's our education that has been lacking and assumptions about what's correct or important to the Aboriginal people should be through consultation with or left to them as brought out in the brief.

PabloP said:
There is an excellent post on a social media platform that I can't stand (Farcebook), by a young lady of Aboriginal descent, named Jacinta Nampijinpa Price. I am not sure if I can or should link to it, but you can likely search for her on Facebook.

A very balanced and well put together history of their rights, etc, since white settlement.

Rob P.

I love Jacinta, such an amazing and well spoken lady who really speaks the truth. Sad so many people abuse her for her views, I guess a lot of people don't like the truth.

Today on the news I saw the vandalism of statues to our ex Prime Ministers. Two weeks ago I was saying out loud that the Rio Tinto desecration of an Aboriginal was disgusting and other words I cannot repeat here. Are we now saying our Past and Heritage means nothing to us and we simply rip down, tare up and destroy Colonial History? Those times were what happened and were understood as normal , THEN , not now.
I have another question: All , what would Australia be like IF the invaders, explorers, crusaders Etc, were from Eastern Countries, have we forgotten what happened to Aussie Soldiers in WWII at the hands of the Japanese and the beheading of our bravest. 60,000 years have past, according to history, archeology, anthropology etc, my question is, should we be grateful for the English Discovery, as it is with all its failings, or would we all be better off under Eastern Rule, Aboriginal First Nation People and Others?
In Brissie today, as in other parts of Oz, protests took place but in Brisbane it was regarding Refugees that have not been processed for asylum, in one case 7 years in another 3. Do I agree with the protests , NO. Should these people have been processed (for a better word) before now, absolutely. This is an another absolute disgrace that in todays IT status , a persons details cannot be determined within hours, not years. However, I digress.
We are Australian, we have 60,000 years of story telling and the longest living civilisation on Earth, Our First Nations People. Lets celebrate it, however, let us not forget what we have, each of us, Freedom etc because of our English Heritage.
No more, from me. I am over it
Mackka

Mackka said:
Today on the news I saw the vandalism of statues to our ex Prime Ministers. Two weeks ago I was saying out loud that the Rio Tinto desecration of an Aboriginal was disgusting and other words I cannot repeat here. Are we now saying our Past and Heritage means nothing to us and we simply rip down, tare up and destroy Colonial History? Those times were what happened and were understood as normal , THEN , not now.
I have another question: All , what would Australia be like IF the invaders, explorers, crusaders Etc, were from Eastern Countries, have we forgotten what happened to Aussie Soldiers in WWII at the hands of the Japanese and the beheading of our bravest. 60,000 years have past, according to history, archeology, anthropology etc, my question is, should we be grateful for the English Discovery, as it is with all its failings, or would we all be better off under Eastern Rule, Aboriginal First Nation People and Others?
In Brissie today, as in other parts of Oz, protests took place but in Brisbane it was regarding Refugees that have not been processed for asylum, in one case 7 years in another 3. Do I agree with the protests , NO. Should these people have been processed (for a better word) before now, absolutely. This is an another absolute disgrace that in todays IT status , a persons details cannot be determined within hours, not years. However, I digress.
We are Australian, we have 60,000 years of story telling and the longest living civilisation on Earth, Our First Nations People. Lets celebrate it, however, let us not forget what we have, each of us, Freedom etc because of our English Heritage.
No more, from me. I am over it
Mackka

Beautiful! And well put. :Y: