What do you do for work ....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mechanical Fitter , did my apprenticeship at Garden Island Dockyard working on Naval Support Vessels like tugboats , fuel lighters and crane lighters personal boats , landing barges etc .
I learnt Diesel , pneumatic and hydraulics , tig arc and oxy welding , metal fab ,and using lathes , mills , shapers , surface grinders etc.
My best and most interesting job was doing a total refit of " MV Krait " which was used in the 2nd world war by a highly trained and secret Aus comando unit called Z Special Unit , which is now held at the Maritime Museum in Sydney . I believe it is out off the water though now :( .. . I will do a future write up about it oneday :)
I also was able to go aboard many US ships and see things unavailable to the general public , such ships as mighty Mo.. which was the Missouri and her sister ship the New Jersey . They were just mind blowing .
These days ive got out of the trade and im a Maintenance co-ordinatior for a group of licenced clubs. :cool:

Self employed for 23 years in the financial markets as a fixed interest broker & 7 years before that. ( I tell people which banks are paying the best rates for deposits, free to clients as banks pay us 8) 8) )
We do the leg work so everyones happy. :) :)
Only broker in Aust not to deal in any of the GFC sh!t.

Looking forward to doing more prospecting in the future just need the time and the excuse.

Started in geophysical technical exploration with Hammersley and WMC. Got to see all the lovely places from Norseman Kal, Sandstone, Leonora, Wiluna to name a few right up to the Sandy Desert which was probably my favorite. Then worked for a geophysical exploration company based in a uni pretty well doing above plus some UXO detection in Germany. Got jack of living out of a suitcase and since I was writing software for geo data processing put myself through uni in computing/electronics and done that for the last 15 years in Internet security areas. Now getting jack of that and looking at retirement options figured I'd invest in managed business so looking to pick up a pub. At least if the venture fails I'll get free drinks for a while. :lol:

kemjak57 said:
Run a concrete business. Not getting any smarter. :/
My first concrete job was 43 years ago. Fiddled with it on and off for a couple of years. Delivered it for a while and taught myself to screed and finish by staying back till one and two it the morning concreting the yard at the plant. Then at 19 years of age I decided to have a shot on my own. I needed a bit more education as I made a few mistakes that were a bugger. I got a job with a Swedish bloke who was very skilled in all areas for a few years. He was a good teacher. For the last 36 years I've been self employed.

GaryO said:
Mechanical Fitter , did my apprenticeship at Garden Island Dockyard working on Naval Support Vessels like tugboats , fuel lighters and crane lighters personal boats , landing barges etc .
I learnt Diesel , pneumatic and hydraulics , tig arc and oxy welding , metal fab ,and using lathes , mills , shapers , surface grinders etc.
My best and most interesting job was doing a total refit of " MV Krait " which was used in the 2nd world war by a highly trained and secret Aus comando unit called Z Special Unit , which is now held at the Maritime Museum in Sydney . I believe it is out off the water though now :( .. . I will do a future write up about it oneday :)
I also was able to go aboard many US ships and see things unavailable to the general public , such ships as mighty Mo.. which was the Missouri and her sister ship the New Jersey . They were just mind blowing .
These days ive got out of the trade and im a Maintenance co-ordinatior for a group of licenced clubs. :cool:

Look forward to the write up on the Krait.

I had a nail from the Krait, but I'm pretty sure the old fella used it somewhere, it was a three inch beaut too, was above a bunk bed for hanging something from, it was loose, I was young, and somehow that bit of history helped hold one of our family homes together ,... who'd a ever thought it hey ! (The things that come up from below/subconscious ). :eek:

Ok not really , I'm not really an unemployed bum I do various forms of architectural cladding systems .

BoydWilliam said:
Policeman in the Highway Patrol.
Have I seen you on the TV? Funny things happen highway patrol. Big dogs, drunk people's, everybody on that show. Some even wait for a mate.

Nice one NAPPA but no I've not been on that show. Absolutely no interest in being filmed whilst working!
The 'waiting for a mate' episode got a lot of attention thru social media

Couldn't believe an episode of Highway Patrol in New Zealand, a Maori bloke was towing a trailer with one wheel, gets pulled over by the Highway Patrol, the officer looks at him and says "sir, your trailer only has one wheel", Maori bloke says "oh yeah bro but I'm only just going around tha corner eh", officer says "ok sir, we'll follow to make sure everything is safe and you get the trailer home". I nearly fell off my chair, can't even imagine the fine for doing that here, would be a pretty big one I reckon, though rightfully so. :D

Third gen Seedsman.

Buying, selling, processing and exporting seed all over the world. Dollars down so the market's damn good. Only problem is now that we are so busy I don't have time to go digging very often.

In my mind I am retired; in my wife's mind I should be looking for another job.

Previously served 30 years in the Navy where I was overworked and perhaps underpaid. Highlight was being the commanding officer of the warship in my avatar.

Then spent 10 years as a consultant to a global Defence company where I was perhaps underworked and overpaid.

Now spending too much time on the mother-in-law's grazing property replacing and repairing kilometres of very badly neglected fencing, where I am working too hard and not getting paid at all. I must be crazy!

BigWave said:
mdv. Must have many fond memories of the old gal and shipmates. She served us well and am sorry to see her like end as dive sites.
Thanks BigWave,

Yes many fond memories of the old gal and her 2 sisters, and all the great Aussie crewmates who served in them. But better to see them become a dive site in accessible local waters than being towed to Korea as scrap and returned to us in the form of razor blades. :)

Latest posts