What do you do for work ....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to be a plant operator before becoming an office worker. Desperate to get back to operating , probably the reason I took up detecting , gets me out of the office staring at White Walls all day .

Plumber ( lapsed ) mini excavator/bobcat owner operator for the last 30 years and loved it. Getting paid for playing in the dirt and mud :) I'm now retired and missing playing on the toys,
any body want an excavator operator ?

I work.

Self-funded dole bludger for a year or so and now living the dream on an adventure camp as a maintenance man. I work hard (optional) and then get paid to prospect on site in the river or on quartz riddled hills or I take the Aldi out to find coins. Today we knocked off early, drank beer and caught fish on work time. I have work on Saturdays too so I have little time for non-paid prospecting but I'll live . :D

My Life story, In high school always interested in Geology , went on lots of excursions with Armidale geology dept. After High school I joined the PMG as a tech in training and worked in country areas of NSW as a maintainance technician. I retrained to get my Electronics and communications associate diploma and management certification finally finishing up in Newcastle around 1997 in a management role (took a redundancy).

During those yeas as a technician I got into amateur radio (1978) VK2DLI , always building and experimenting (my ex says I made Dick Smith very wealthy). After sitting on my bum for 6 months in 1997 I decided I needed to go back to work and having an interest in radio I went to work for Optus Mobile networks remotely maintaining and fault surveillance for 6 months until I was headhunted by Hutchison telecommunications to be involved in the building of Hutchisons CDMA 2G network. Later the first 3G mobile network in Australia AKA "3 network".It was part owned by Telstra at the time because they had not built any 3G networks yet.

Around 2003 Hutchison sold of its entire technical workforce to Ericsson (Equipment supplier to Telstra) part of that deal was to provide a managed service back to the Telstra/Hutchison partners of the "3" network until closure in 2012 and Hutchison was bought out by Vodafone.

Having resisted strongly any management role since leaving Telstra I got coerced into a role with Ericsson in 2008 - in charge of a team that designed mobile networks for additions to Telstra and later design of the NBN wireless network based on 4G technology. In 2012 Ericsson missed out on $billion bids to upgrade both Optus and Vodafone networks to 4G losing out to Huwaei (chinese supplier) and so accepted another redundancy in 2013 and decided to retire - happy to prospect as a hobby and keep me active.

Latest posts