What are YOU doing right NOW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Mackka. We have a habit of hanging onto things that we just want to hang on to. The reality is that if those things are not going to improve our lot or in the case of a 44 Para if I am happy with something else do I need to hang onto it. Just looked up the cost of a bottle and seems to be in the 200’s so got me thinking whether I should just sell it and bottle up some Rutherglen Muscat for my celebration nugget drink.
Noticed the price of a 1932 bottle. You would be sitting on a small goldmine there Mackka.

Back home and greeted by some great news.
Have been waiting 13 months for my new prospecting vehicle.
Have just got the news that my MUX is aboard a ship heading to Melbourne and should arrive on 21st July.
Just now the vehicle carrier Hercules leader is rounding Cape York.
Desperately need this vehicle to get back out in the goldfields. Woo Hoo!

Screenshot (125).png

Enjoying a coffee after a couple of hours fishing on South Valla Beach, only caught a couple of little flaties but what a glorious morning to be up and about, the fishing off-shore is terrific if you can get out, but it's a nightmare retreaving the boat sometimes. We allways spend the NSW school holidays here as it's really quiet compared to all the other caravan parks on the North Coast, plenty of room for the boat and all our stuff and it's a beautiful place to stay.

image000001.jpg20230719_091648.jpg20230713_080556.jpg20190714_165047.jpg20230718_105331.jpg

I'm fitting up a towbar to the Hyundai iLoad.

Towbar.jpg

I really wanted somebody else to do this but it was going to cost more than three times the price. This one came from a wrecker in Perth with all the fastners and wiring and warranty as well. It looks almost new and was advertised on ebay but I bought it cheaper over the counter. I'm going to remove the trailer wiring socket and relocate it in the bumper where it might last a bit longer.

Interesting Hawkear as you mentioned Para as I. Proposed to my wife with a swig of from memory 1934 Para Port and we still have four bottles from. 36-42. Personally, I think they will taste like shi%. We sold 6 bottles of Penfolds Grange many years ago and used it for the deposit on our first home. There is huge profits in wine.
I wish I bought up when the grange was semi affordable, I went to the Rockpool the other day they charge $4500 a bottle. I started collecting poor man grange (bin 28)when I was 20 for my 40th, back then i was paying around $16 a bottle in a 6pack.I once called into a bottle shop in Rockingham and they had 2009 28 magnums going for $18 I bought 2, when I got home one had fallen between the car door and seat, open the door and watched 1.5lts of red gold washed down the drive. I’ve still got 2 1998 28s, 1998 st Henri some early early 2000s 407s maybe 1 389 left the magnum, 1 maybe 2 Eileen hardy 1998s and a bunch of other years cellared up at my factory,
They are probably knacked now but last time I checked the corks looked good and still red in the neck,
Maybe next trip out bush I’ll get the corkscrew out give one a good day of breathing and pray I don’t have a 1998 vintage vinegar.

Interesting Hawkear as you mentioned Para as I. Proposed to my wife with a swig of from memory 1934 Para Port and we still have four bottles from. 36-42. Personally, I think they will taste like shi%. We sold 6 bottles of Penfolds Grange many years ago and used it for the deposit on our first home. There is huge profits in wine.
OOPS, another empty one. (OpenedPara Port 1947.jpg and drank many years ago and found the empty in the shed clean up.) Can't remember what it tasted like but must of been ok.

Waving goodbye at the rip, Port Phillip heads, to the RORO vehicle carrying ship that brought my new prospecting vehicle to Melbourne after a 14 month wait. Just now have to wait until quarantine officials get around to letting it off the wharf.
PS The tripod is for my telescope and expensive camera but abandoned that idea in favour of better pictures like this one taken by my wife on her iphone.

IMG_4555.JPG

Nice backyard mate.
Spectacular and historical bit of coastline.
Wouldn't want to take a small boat out there though it isn't called "The Rip" for nothing.
There are gun emplacements on either side of The Rip put there when fears of a Russian invasion were high during the Crimean war.
The first shot of WW1 was fired from a 6" gun in an emplacement on the Point Nepean headland shown. It was fired across the bow of the German freighter, SS Pfalz, minutes after declaration of war on August 5, 1914.
Amazingly Australia's first shot of WW2 was also reportedly fired from the same gun across the bow of another ship just a few hours after we were declared at war. This time the ship proved not to be German at all but a ship that had just failed to identify itself. It was an Australian ship and the captain understandingly quickly remedied his mistake.
Just around the headland is Cheviot beach where Harold Holt got picked up by a Chinese submarine.

Latest posts