West of Alice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I just caught an item on the radio today about gold being found 400k west of Alice.
Its an area I have just started to do some research on as being "less explored" (maybe I'm already too late! lol) It seems to be mostly aboriginal land so I'm guessing difficult to get permissions on.
Just wondered if anyone else had heard this report, or had anything to add about the area?

cairnspom said:
Hi. I just caught an item on the radio today about gold being found 400k west of Alice.
Its an area I have just started to do some research on as being "less explored" (maybe I'm already too late! lol) It seems to be mostly aboriginal land so I'm guessing difficult to get permissions on.
Just wondered if anyone else had heard this report, or had anything to add about the area?

Here's an ABC article from today, with a map and some details:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-...ery-signals-final-frontier-for-metals/6833054

Also, in the same region: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-...ne-about-to-hit-commercial-production/6822660

To far North to be Lasseters reef I reckon. But interesting. They did head in that direction then Lasseter said they were 150 miles to far North. Around Lake Christopher is where Lasseter reckons he found his reef on the last trip. I watched this dvd today Lasseters bones. They spoke to an aboriginal dude and he straight out said it's real but it's a sacred site and if white men go there they'd be speared. This was 2 years ago when the interview was done. But any new gold finds are good news hey.

I used to work at that Old Pirate prospect back in the 90's (and just about everywhere else in the Tanami for that matter). It was quite exciting to find gold bearing quartz veins outcropping at the surface out the middle of woop woop, though despite high grades, was never considered to be a major deposit for a larger miner. There have been some good finds on the western side of the WA border heading deeper into the desert, so only a matter of time before something major is found on the NT side. Probably not much scope for the individual to explore such areas. Most of the ground is covered by Aboriginal Freehold land, not to mention the costs/logistics of doing so, and the fact that most of the ground is under deep cover.

Thanks for the replies guys . The trouble with Lassiters reef...you're never sure when he was telling the truth it seems ! :)

It seems to be the same company doing the exploration there.

I thought the fact that it was aboriginal lands would make it difficult to get permission to swing a detector there would be difficult though I didn't realise it was 'freehold '

Latest posts