Saving Our History - Adventures, Historical Research and Finds Needing Identification Help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi it’s a italian 1Grano coin of Charles II can’t make out the date but looking at 1699-1700 area
How in the world did you figure that out ?!

I mean, it's great ! Thank you so much !

I'm just surprised how you managed to find out what it was.

That solves that mystery then, it's a perfect match.

Thank you heaps again! :)

Saving Our History (Kato)

Hi everyone,
Found this a while back when I went on a camping trip a year or so ago. Went into Robe for a day trip as it was nearby to where we were.

Went for a hunt on an open public patch of land which used to be the site of an old sailors pub/tavern, which had been demolished sometime ago, with remainders of building and bits strewn across the top soil of the area. I found some bits and pieces, including my first clay pipe stems and partially complete bowls, also my first glass bottle stopper and glass bottles pieces, not complete, but enough to identify them. Some medicine bottles, some purple and some blue glass, some Eucalyptus oil bottles, and some soda bottles.

I found some old coins here and there, some interesting bits like a few .577 Snider projectiles and musket balls. And I found this odd little brass or copper composition coin or token, about the size of an AU 5c. Not sure exactly what it is, it's stumped me for ages now...

I know it's a Young (bun head) Queen Victoria portrait on the obverse (early to mid 1800's period for that portrait style), and on the reverse, it has a royal shield of some sort.

A small chunk has been taken out of it which is how I found it when I dug it up, and it has a small hole in the top which I guess could've been where a chain or small ribbon or rope went through to attach it to a bracelet or necklace ??

I doubt it would've been a brothel token for the sailors due to the royal representation on it, maybe a memorial token, special coin or medallion of some sort ??

Is anyone able to help me with some research into it?
I'm so very stumped.. been researching it for ages and I myself have not found anything similar to it.

I also found another weird little thing, with the inscription of 'Letters' and on the other side it has '1874 Patent'. It appears to be made of thick aluminum or some sort of heavy non-rusting material, brass possibly?

Images provided below:
Obverse of item
View attachment 10108
Reverse of item
View attachment 10109
Item next to a 5c
View attachment 10110
Item on a 5c
View attachment 10111
Letters Patent Item (Image #1)
View attachment 10112
Letters Patent Item (Image #2)
View attachment 10113

Any help and/or suggestions is very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Saving Our History (Kato) :)
Hi Kato!
I've been away for a few weeks and just found this post. I believe this is part of a rivet or tack button, found on jeans, or jean jackets. Levi Strauss first patented the "waist overalls" in 1873 (later called 'jeans' in 1960), so it could be one of the original Levis jeans rivets or tack buttons! They've changed since back then, but not by much!

rivets.PNG

Cheers,
Megsy

Hi everyone,
Haven't posted on here for a while...
This find I'm needing help with identifying isn't metallic this time around..

Recently I went on a walk down a beach not too far out, and I picked up a rock that I thought was quite unusual, well, turns out it's not a rock at all !
At the time I suspected it appeared to be almost a fossil rather than a rock. Having washed the sand off with water, no scrubbing, I have checked it out in better lighting and it appears I was correct, seems like a fossil of some sort to me....

Not sure at all what it might be from as the teeth seem very small, the sinus holes are quite small, with what appears to be top or bottom mouth roofing on the inside of where the teeth are located, and appears to be on the outside too. It also appears to possibly be a top or lower part of a jaw of some sort, thought it might be a very small sea creature, baby turtle or something else maybe ??

It could be a couple hundred, thousand or million years old...

Any thoughts on what it could be would be greatly appreciated !

Thank you!
SOH

Images are below:

1694077736987.jpg1694077736803.jpg1694077735870.jpg1694077736904.jpg1694077736243.jpg

Hi everyone,
Recently been out to a nice little location and found a few things, trash included of course, but found a few cents and a nice little pocket spill of a 1c and a 1960 Sixpence in the same hole, decent enough condition too.
1695183825885 - Copy.jpg

BUT.... my highlight for the day was something I wasn't expecting to find at all....

This isn't my best find of my whole detecting career so far, as I'm history focused so my interests for detecting finds are deeply related to my interest in historical events and artifacts.

Although, no doubt this find is for sure one to remain in my top finds list....

Ringing up on the Minelab CTX 3030 with a perfect 12.34 at 3-4 inches depth, I was expecting an old penny or silver coin..
1695183824287 - Copy.jpg

Yet, lo and behold.. seek and ye shall find, GOLD!!!
1695183826121 - Copy.jpg

Weighing in at 8.17 grams
1695183824189 - Copy.jpg

This is a perfect condition 9ct (375 stamp) Men's Wedder ring made with 50% white gold and 50% yellow gold, definitely shows use and wear from over the years, and surprising to find next to a small creek!
It gave me such a shock that an audible gasp and excitement on my face had to be collectively hidden from the public eye, I was smiling for the rest of the hunt though 😊

Unfortunately there is no name, initials or any sort of identification on this ring so the owner is unknown.

However, if anyone knows what the hallmark 'MM' represents, please let me know as it would be greatly appreciated, since even with research I can't find an identical company mark to what is stamped in this ring, might even just be 'MM' for 'Maker's Mark' ?? Not sure.
1695183824689 - Copy.jpg
1695183825174 - Copy.jpg

Happy hunting! :)

Cheers,
SOH

I found a limited reference to a Scottish goldsmith from Glasgow M. Michael who uses the MM makers mark. I've snipped the page from "The English Goldsmiths and their marks, a history of the goldsmiths and plate workers of England." A really good reference book! http://www.public-library.uk/dailyebook/English goldsmiths and their marks (1921).pdf

View attachment 11285

View attachment 11284

Not sure if this your goldsmith, but you never know!

Cheers,
Megsy
It could very well be that original goldsmith that the ring might have been made by, however, it doesn't appear to be of the age of the company so it would have to be still in operation in the modern day, as the ring looks like an older make with handcraft soldering and polishing care and machine cutting.

Thank you for the research! :)
SOH

Latest posts