Victorian Bushfire advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winds turning & easing near Maryborough as the "cool" change is beginning to come through now...hope some wet falls with it where it's needed.

Gypsy

New fire identified between Narbethong and Buxton

Well that's the yarra valley surrounded by fires. Hope that wind does die for everyone. Its still strong and snapping limbs here

Take care everyone close to the fires all over Vic now, make sure your updated constantly via some source for information of fire status, location and wind direction / changes and keep safe

Update grassfire at Nar Nar Goon now increased to bushfire heading north to Gembrook State Forrest and Bunyip State Park Mortimer Rd.

Emergency Warning issued now for Maryknoll, Nar Nar Goon North and Tynong North.

Anyone north of Gembrook State Forrest must be aware as the fire is quickly heading north

Yellingbow / Macclesfield Rd fire ALL CLEAR for Yellingbow, Woori Yallock, Silvan, Hoddles Creek, Macclesfield.

Hoddles Creek, Gembrook, Beenak residents should still be very aware of the fires to the south

Update on Neerim South, fire has increased moving eastwards

Update - Kinglake and Neerim South fires seem to have been cleared from the warnings map now

Nar Nar Goon fire still pursuing into Gembrook State Forrest

Todays fire activity is exactly the same of Ash Wednesday and ill never forget how fast it came through, we were lucky before and hopefully again. As the sun is setting and the wind slowing, an orange glow reflects from the ground as the sun penetrates the smokey atmosphere.

All mentioned fires are at bay now and controlled / no more.

I can't explain how dangerous it is here. We are surrounded by mountains..and when they set fire..we have minutes to evacuate. I'm glad it was all kept under control fast by the cfa and delwp, its one way in - one way out ..and in emergency like yesterday... the hwy is impossible to access if the threat is high enough.

The nar nar goon fires made it onto the news last night

At least 53 homes have been lost in the fires around Wye river on the great ocean road.
How very sad indeed.
From Bells Beach to Apollo Bay for more than 40 years was my surfing heaven .
I know that coast intimately through surfing almost every day and also fishing.
I managed and owned surf shops and I know a great many people along the coastline.
I hope no one is hurt physically but I certainly know that many will be emotionally and mentally scarred for a long long time.
Spare a thought for them.
Regards Steve

Hope it wasn't a deliberate though its not good either way. I live right next to the bush in central Vic and this time of year is always a worry. Where ever I go detecting around now I make sure I have multiple exits in case it goes belly up and stop now and then to take a deep breathe to smell the air. Any burning gum smell and I exit stage right. Better safe than sorry. Yep your right, got to spare a thought for those caught in the fires. Had a good mate that lost everything in that Kinglake one a few years or so back. Terrifying stuff.

Unfortunately it's now up to 116 homes lost. Most of which are believed to be holiday homes.
All stsrted from a lightning strike last Saturday.

Latest posts