Victorian Bushfire advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Folks bushfire out towards Lake Eppalock - good luck and best wishes. Too late to leave apparently and its heading for the state forest.

...and one out at Laanacoorie yesterday. scrub fire at Laanecoorie on Eddington-Laanecoorie Road.

Cheers loamer!

Hopefully nothing too serious has happened. Sounds like a bit of wet weather is needed down there too!

I'll be in the Bendigo area sometime within the next three weeks for a swing thanks to friends kindly offering us accommodation there. The triangle will be a totally new place for me as I've never really been down that way.

Stay safe out there!
Cheers,
Shauno.

Bad day in the grampians west of Ararat 42 today cool change coming through now
Time to go out and do a spot of detecting here is a pic of the grampians from the lookout
at Ararat...
1389940999_image.jpg

but give it 1 - 2 days after the fires have died down and there will be 20 guys in there with detectors

bushfires do a great job of raking leaves . in fact they disappear altogether 8)

I thought it was GR and Skip just clearing a bit of scrub to do some detecting. Wink wink.
stay safe lads.
Hey Dave maybe you could get on a strike team......free tucker and accommodation.
Cheers

"I am getting ready earlier this year. Back-up pump, new and bigger tanks etc etc. " I had the same thoughts a couple of years ago, then a local firie said just up the insurance instead.

I've seen alot of planned burned signage, hope they get cracking shortly. ... We won't be seeing last year's milder conditions. Victoria will be a place of steady nerves in the bush this year.

Paydirt said:
"I am getting ready earlier this year. Back-up pump, new and bigger tanks etc etc. " I had the same thoughts a couple of years ago, then a local firie said just up the insurance instead.

Probably good advice, if your home is in the wrong spot it will be impossible to defend. If you are in an intermediate zone and are fit and strong then extra precautions may be worth it. Forecasts at this time of year are always doom and gloom with the worst season on record predicted but in reality it all comes down to weather conditions once things warm up. If it gets hot and we get a few days of westerly winds then we have problems.

I am a get the fxck out of dodge early person however last summer caught a lot of us by surprise - embers can travel a long way. Black Saturday taught everyone that in the worst case no-where is safe. Its always nice for the CFA to know they have a water point as well. Bug-out bags are always packed.

Wattle full bloom early July, and a swarm of bees giving me a touch up a week ago, will be summer before spring has ended, you can mark this one coming as one to remember mark my words. Last year we had a Frost going two Sundays before Melbourne cup. Loamer has given the early update and rightly so.

Not sure for other states but for VIC, make sure your water tanks have fire service adaptable fittings on them, fireies aint gunna defend your home for to long if their out trying to fit a fitting to your tank to grab water from.
If you have dams like we do, just make sure they have clear access to them, once again if its to hard to access they will move on, help yourself by helping them :)

And also those on acerage, get those fire breaks in good and early.
If you have access to one, a grader plough either side of boundry fences goes a long way to helping stop an approaching fire. And keep the grass around the house cut nice and short, preferably with a normal lawn mower and use the catcher rather then let it just blow out the side to dry out

Our area has needed a back burn for about 3 seasons. Some places fuel is 250mm deep, that makes for an intense fire. Still waiting.
I"m in the middle of a small village which is surrounded on 3 sides by national park. It will be divesting for the park & it's wild life, atleast we can leave.

Latest posts