GT Trip Advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am pretty new to gold detecting and recently purchased a 7K. I have used the machine a few times in NSW so far and have found a small speccie. I would like to try my luck in the Victorian GT, but have never been anywhere really down that way.

So I was wondering if anyone could give me some good advice of a good location to start my adventure in the GT. I probably would like to stay in a Caravan Park somewhere and drive out for day trips from base. Any advice on good caravan parks would be good too! :) I am pretty much up for going anywhere in the GT. I only have an AWD vehicle if that helps.

From my understanding you can detect in the State Forests and some National Park areas. I have looked at the Victoria Parks web page and have printed out their information. I have also obtained a miners right.

So any advice on the GT appreciated. Thanks :cool:

Gidday Mate
Most of the people on here have like a area they like and go there my often that not "like myself "
Dude in my opinion it does not matter were you go to much there still seems to be gold coming out of every were .
But you know do a little research . Read up a bit on here and see were others are posting there finds from :D
What more can I say ;) there is still loads of GOLD in the GT just waiting for some lucky person to walk over it :lol:

Hey 3D, mate it's worth buying (from the prospecting shops) a few of the John Tully maps in my opinion. You can buy them for various gold areas within the GT such as Maryborough, Talbot etc depending on where you'd like to go. The beauty of them is they give you a fantastic overview of regions you can and can't detect in as well as old gold bearing areas and gullies that are great places to start searching. You'll need to decide roughly where you want to go within the GT and then find a nice caravan park in one of the towns such as Maldon, Maryborough, Bendigo etc to use as a base. The alternative is to camp on the gold in the state forests somewhere.
Good luck.

Avoca is a quite little park giving you access to a wonderful radius of opportunity.

GT :)

I'd also add....if your travelling a reasonable distance to get there, plan to stay around an area you'd like to explore, just in case it rains when you arrive and need alternate activities (unless squatting in a running creek in the rain floats your boat) to keep from getting bored.

GGA

BigWave said:
3D. For places to stay in the GT, probably check this thread:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17257

Thanks for all the great advice. This thread is great and Bigwave your write up is extensive. Thanks.

I have just purchased Doug Stones Book, so hopefully this will help too. Considering the time of year I think I will fork out for a motel room.... Brrrr...

Looking forwards to cool detecting days however :) :cool:

Latest posts