two weeks in the triangle

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These are some of the results for two weeks in the golden triangle.

1376884779_new_ground_1.jpg

ground away from diggings - had been mentioned historically as patchy. a few old test holes about, very little rubbish.

1376884806_its_clean.jpg

3.2 ounces after gravity test. found with 4500 running an 18" DD. I had found gold before in this area - generally deep. The 4500 was set at FP 'deep' with the gain and stabilizer tweeked.

1376884914_nf_1.jpg

2.9 grams - running a NF 14' x 9" (first time with this coil - very impressive) 4500 running on FP general - gain and sensitivity tweeked.

1376884988_phpfgac1vpm.jpg

one for you panning and sluicing folk. did not have a go but this runs for several kms through very rich fields.

Final result was 3.2 oz as above and also 36 grams of mixed nuggets and species. Smallest was .5 gram.

Very impressed with the NF coil. The old DDs still hold their own and I am impressed with them on the 4500.

No coins as I tended to stick to newer ground but heard a report of two sovereigns being found (second hand rumour??)

Met the usual nice people and chatted to two grey nomads who were having a ball picking off small gold off mullock heaps with their 5000s - very impressed and those small bits sure add up. Only ran into one tool - tried to snipe a spot that I had permission to be on by jumping the fence - the property owner was not happy and told this 'chap' to leave as only an angry farmer can. So there you go, two very cold and at times wet weeks but a nice time.

Great results loamer
How deep was the big bit and what sort of response did it give you
This may help the newbies
As you put up very informative posts!
When you say sensitivity are you just talking stab
Or a mixture of settings
This may also help newbies
As I've watched many in experienced prospectors
Wave over deep gold and not hear it !

yes - stabilizer and gain tweeked together. I found that it paid to keep the two settings pretty close to each other. I leave the manual tune active on the display and also give it a tweek as conditions change. I always use fixed tracking - its something we all have to get used to. I guess a newbie would be best to use tracking as it can compensate for ground noises. I simply GB frequently in fixed. I use a speaker and have the threashold just audible - would be too much for headphones but fine with a speaker. (Fixed tracking will give you more marginally more depth and if you are hunting big gold this can be an advantage)

As for the response - I am used to the noises and grumbles of the old SD detectors and I have to say the 4500 was quiet, thats why I think I missed or discounted this piece before. It was at just on 12" in fairly mineralised ground - hence the DD. I had found a run (6 x gram and sub grammers all species) that led up to fairly large and quartzy ground with iron stone. The response was a slight break in the threashold but constant - the response was set to inverted (low high). It was not a ground noise wider response but I think I may have discounted this sound on the old 2200 as ground noise. I did a boot scrape - still there - first scrape with the pick - still there and louder -kept scraping and it got louder so was sure it was a target. It was mixed in with other similar types of rocks and i actually was putting the rocks to one side and lost the signal. waved the rocks over the coil and pretty well knew it was a decent piece by the weight in my hand. As can be seen, its still got ironstone and quartz attached.

Hello loamer,
The big one looks like it is in a conglomerate and possibly water worn. Its a bit hard to tell from the photo. Would you like to give us a better description of the nugget and its possible journey though time before you found it. Thanks

echidnadigger said:
Hello loamer,
The big one looks like it is in a conglomerate and possibly water worn. Its a bit hard to tell from the photo. Would you like to give us a better description of the nugget and its possible journey though time before you found it. Thanks

Yeah interesting point to contemplate

Can only wonder if it was buried in lightly abrasive soil at the time when it separated from its host reef , then being carried with the soil and polished by movement through it ?

It doesn't seem to have coarse abrasion like you might expect if it was carried through alluvial wash

IMVAO. (In my very amateur opinion)

The observation it was amongst and in conglomerate is pretty well spot on. Have no fear - the location will get some more attention with a bigger coil. There were some smaller pieces in the same site.

Latest posts