Trying the old Mongarlowe diggings.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Myself and two other detectourists went to some of the old Mongarlowe diggings for a few days over the weekend, the visit unfortunately was cut short by rain. I can't say where we were exactly as I wasn't driving, except to say, I know it was a long way upstream from the Nerriga Rd. bridge.

But what an eye opener, I had no idea that the diggings were so extensive and complete and to think that this as all done manually without the benefit of huge machines. There were piles of rocks the size of footballs that looked like they had been dumped by huge trucks. Sad to say I didn't grab any photos as I thought we would be back the next day, but the rain cut that idea short.

Gold was found, not much, but enough to think that it is worthwhile going back for another look, it was thin and flakey for the most part plus there was one small nugget that was quite spiky and rough would go about a gram.

Running the Deus in the Goldfield program was a disaster, the ground is so heavily mineralised that it was sounding off continuously, I retuned it and after that it was fine, quiet and stable. All it needs now is a 15" or 19" HF coil to be able to cover the ground faster.

The land is unfortunately not accessible to the public as it is all owned by Sydney Water and all gates are padlocked I was lucky enough to be invited by a key holder. The land was bought up to allow for the building of the Welcome Reef Dam on the Shoalhaven River below the junction with the Mongarlowe River. The current thinking is that the dam will never be built. Will the land ever be returned to the farmers or opened up to the public? I doubt it.

Heard yrs ago they were thinking of selling the waterboard land wisp,prob just a local rumour.
Pulls at my heart strings that place,did my apprenticeship there,spent 7-8+ yrs walking and detecting that area when i first started,away from the popular areas nothing had been touched but thats not near the township,we had access to an awsome area for yrs,had some great times hiking off and finding spots.
One day someones gonna walk out of them hills with a 100-200oz nugget,lots of big bits were found in the old days,i gave it my best shot but 1.5oz was my best over the yrs,best i seen was a 15oz bit,get bungonia to braidwood by Barry McGowan,its a good read.....
Some old terraces the ground is dead quiet but there is a bit of noisy ground here an there.
Thanks for the post,what a little hidden treasure that area is and stunning to boot.....

Hi goldchaser and Whisp.

I grew up on the south coast in Ulladulla and have spent many years bushwalking up around the mountains near mongarlowe. Ive heard of a quartz vain stretching along a ridge a few km away from where you speak off. Im always keen for an adventure if any members want to head off in search of new for ground!
Or old ground for that matter ?

Latest posts