Travelling Adelaide to Darwin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamwalking

Peter
Reaction score
Hi to All, Has anyone recently travelled between Adelaide and Darwin.
I am hoping this topic will create a list of do's and don'ts for all who might take that route.
Inclusion of places to stay including caravan parks and free parking, things to see that are pay or free, things to avoid but most of all places to fossick.

Any and all contributions will be greatly appreciated, hopefully we can later create a few more commonly traversed routes.

Cheers Pete,

Let me get the ball rolling ...

Adelaide to Darwin ... 3026 KM
Non stop drive time ...1 day 11 hours

We just stop at each roadhouse which usually have a camp grd and enjoy a cold beer and dinner each night. Usually a 5 hr drive between stops.(thirsty). Great way to enjoy the Stuart Hwy. :lol:

Hi Pete i wasn't fossicking at the time and as we were on our way back to Brisbane, we were enjoying the beauty of outback Australia as much as as we could. The whole trip took us 2.5 mths/ approx. 15000 klms.
I hope someone on the forum can give you some advice regarding your question.
I have been thru Europe, top of the Swiss Alps, well nearly, had 28 day cruise to Tahiti -Bora-Bora twice and still prefer the great outback of our country.
Cheers Jack. :lol:

There is a place abuot 200km north of Alice. Turn east off the Sturt about 100km for gem stones. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of it. Will have a look when I get home (fly out day today) and post a link to the park. Someone else may even help with it.

Cliff

Fossicking for gemstones @ Gemtree

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2008/04/09/2212380.htm

1406254617_aqw.png

1406254631_aqw2.png

If fueling up at Marla roadhouse count your change before you walk out. The two fatty's at the service station will try to rip you off for $10.
Don't leave your car unattended in Alice or take anything of value. ie. prospecting equipment with you when you go out. I generally leave my car unlocked (saves a broken window) Free showers and music can be had at public toilets. For free shower you simply overstay your welcome in the public toilets until the wash cycle commences.

Dreamer walking when heading north towards DARWIN don, t forget the W! W 2 air fields , bush tracks of main highway , a few kof these are sigh posted, a very interesting areas to wave the detector around, and stretch the legs, take care mate, "" keep looking down mate"" take care "" CHALKY"

Thank you Chalkyg33, I enjoy personal word of mouth information rather than brochured flyers for the tourist trade, I like to make my own tracks rather than follow everyone elses, and I do understand that there are rules and regulations for all of us to follow.

Cheers Pete.

chalkyg33 said:
Dreamer walking when heading north towards DARWIN don, t forget the W! W 2 air fields , bush tracks of main highway , a few kof these are sigh posted, a very interesting areas to wave the detector around, and stretch the legs, take care mate, "" keep looking down mate"" take care "" CHALKY"

I wouldn't think that it would be legal digging up the old air bases, I would think that they are heritage listed or something

Apologies to all regarding info,that I posted on w, w,2 airfields in n, t, , I speak of the early days when traveling up through thr territory,, to day these airfields could well be , or should be " heritage listed, I forget that you folk are not all old timers, as we, where ever you go , what ever you do wish you well, chalky

Chalky .. Thank you for the rewording, I feel most readers would have been capable of reading between the lines, although your reiteration should now leave a clear picture in peoples.

Pete.

Latest posts