Across the center

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDH

Reaction score
Ok guys, it's around a month before we start our journey up the Stuart highway. Plan is to make a big first day and be in Port Augusta by the end of day one. Then from there the exploring starts.

We would appreciate any and all input towards points of interest between port A and Darwin. Our plan is to travel up to Katherine, then on to kakadu and loop back via Darwin to Katherine. We were gonna skip Darwin but the other half has a friend there that we will spend a day or two at.

So having travelled up the eastern seaboard most of my life this trip is new territory for me and we're in the process of route planning. We're going for around 5weeks so we're a little pushed on time but what we hope to gain is seeing what we can in that time so next trip we will know where we want to explore more.

We'd love peoples input in compiling our list of "must see or do's"... The things we don't wanna skip, and also secondary things to do or places to see, so if we set a bit of a base camp in an area we like we have plenty of options.

Around 200km(ish) either way from the Stuart highway is preferable but if there's something that shouldn't be missed nothing is out of the question. We're rolling in a new 4x4 so it doesn't have to be on the tourist route, rather the opposite is of far greater interest to us actually.

Thanks in advance to anybody willing to part with their experience.

Matt

Hi Matt if you look on parks and wildlife nt web page to see what's open as it's the wet season but it has been a dry one you will find some great spots for a swim and a sight see and there is a prospecting web site as well if you have not already had look if so pick the spot that appeal to you the NT is Beautiful place have a safe trip

Visit Gemtree and the old workings at Altunga, have another swing around Tennant creek or just camp at the lake there. Avoid Larrimar, enjoy Darwin .

Some places to consider.
- The Breakaways around sunset, just north and east of Coober Pedy. Best to do as a tour from Coober Pedy. One was run by one of the Caravan Park's that included dinner out there. Spectacular colours.
- Uluru and Kings canyon if you have the time. Walk the top of the canyon if you are able, as much more spectacular
- Take the road west from Alice for a day trip to visit all those nice gorges
On way north from Alice -
- Daly Waters pub for a looksee
- Devils marbles of course. Can camp there
- Stay at the Mataranka resort for a couple of nights
- Katherine - do the boat trip up the gorge
- Edit falls - Sealed road in. Do loop walk if it is open
- Gunlom Falls (has several other names including UDP falls) - Where the pool scene was done in Croc Dundee. Climb to the small pools at the top. Road in isn't good
- Several rock art sites in the NE corner of Kakadu that are interesting
- Boat trip up the Adelaide river
- Mindil Beach market in Darwin at sunset. Tuesday I think
- Litchfield NP on your way south. Several spectacular water falls and road in from the highway is sealed.

Lots of others of course

Rob.

In terms of overnight stops, you might consider:

Banka Banka station - unless you prefer the 'big smoke' of Tennant Creek. Nice views from the very short walk at the back of the park.

Daly Waters - the caravan park on the highway a couple km south of the Daly Waters turn-off is IMO better than the park in Daly Waters.

Mataranka - the caravan park at Bitter Springs has secluded bush sites for that bit of privacy - and just a short walk to the springs. But I don't know if it is too early in the year to swim in the springs.

Pablo, Mindil beach markets won,t open again until the last Thursday in April.

Kakadu is open due to the crappiest wet season ever, I would definatley stop at Grove Hill pub on the way north of Katherine, old pub on the gold fields loop road. Ask to see their nuggets for sale, they always have a nice selection of nugs between .5 of a gram and about 1 oz.

Gunlom falls is worth a look as is Barramundi falls. Ubirr is also worth a peek if you are in Kakadu. Throw a lure along the down current side of Cahills crossing, cast parallel and as close to the actual crossing as you can, and Ill almost guarantee you a barra. Use a shallow lure like a gold bomber, barratrooper, leads, or B52.

Markets, that IMO are better than Mindil Beach anyway, are PARAP and Rapid Creek Markets. Ask for a Mary's LAKSA with the lot.....cost about $8 and is probably the best LAKSA South of Singapore.

Anywhere between Adelaide River and Pine Creek, near Granite is worth a swing, with easy access and no issues around Bridge Creek, just south of Adelaide river.
Both sides of the Highway are accessible, and you can start the moment you leave the car. Its been well covered by others, but people still pull gold from there, mainly SDC users though, no luck for me with the TDI as yet.

Robin falls, about 15km from Adelaide River is beautiful, and well worth a swim. If coming from Darwin, turn Right past the ARSS Race course on the way out of the Adelaide river township.

In Darwin itself, Stokes Hill Wharf is a nice place for dinner (cheap and good variety) the waterfront is more upmarket, with some places to eat and have a nice cold beer.

Second that on Stokes Hill Wharf for a feed.We ate there every night for 10 days whilst in Darwin.Heaps of variety,try the schnitzel place if still there,they even had a croc schnitzel.$10 for a snitty and chips and salad.Daly Waters pub and caravan park,Mataranka Hot Springs,Adelaide River,Devils Marbles are all must see places.Enjoy your trip.

Thanks guys, there's a few there I hadn't heard of, and exactly what I'm after for researching and adding to the list. We will spend a couple nights in the Coober Pedy area so a sunset at the breakaways is a "will do". Same with the uluru-alice area, there's quite a bit to see and do there, plan to see the olgas n Uluru then drive the long way to Alice, stopping at the meteor sights then somehow trying to do loop of sorts that covers the kings canyons and the Finke and into palm Valley. I've promised it not to be a prospecting trip but haven't ruled out throwing in the TDI, as a 5-6week trip there's got to be a priority list for the amount to see and do on such a vast distance covered.... And to be honest I live within 2hours of the heart of the Golden triangle, so for the prospecting side of things opals and gems will make the list above gold (almost hurts to write that). The fishing rods are definitely in the car though and a barra is on the bucket list as a priority. Rocks and water is what I love, so if there's a canyon, river, waterfall or some other natural wonder they're the places I love... Oh and reptiles and creatures, I grew up watching albie and malcom with awe and was actually a fan of Steve Irwin, show pony aside. Mostly well be camping it, and out of town rides better with me but the trip is not just about me and we will be staying a night here and there in some nice accommodation along the way to please the lovely lady, and thanks for the market tips too, I think that will be a winner with her.

We're not going until the start of April, so hopefully most places will be open by the Time we hit NT... I just got the thread going nice and early in the hopes guys can keep adding their experiences over the coming weeks.

Thanks again guys, keep em coming

whatever you do if you go swimming in the NT wear sandles to stop your feet burning if you swim at places like Jim JIm Falls as you have to walk/climb over rocks that get real hot

Any last minute input must see's? Leaving tomorrow, some of the aforementioned are going to be on the list, along with some others, meteorite craters, the roper, perhaps the 4day trek at Katherine, and decided to wing it with spare time in-between. I might start a new thread and share some highlights along the way if we get time of an evening with wifi.

Cheers to those that input.

Matty84 said:
Any last minute input must see's? Leaving tomorrow, some of the aforementioned are going to be on the list, along with some others, meteorite craters, the roper, perhaps the 4day trek at Katherine, and decided to wing it with spare time in-between. I might start a new thread and share some highlights along the way if we get time of an evening with wifi.

Cheers to those that input.

For your information, I document all my extended trips online using a site called TravelPod and send a link to friends and family on a periodic basis, usually weekly. Allows upload of photos and at the end of the trip I use their facility to print out a hard copy book to go on the coffee table. Costs a few $$ to make the book, but is a handy reference and I have found that family and friends have wanted their own copies on several occasions.

On a daily basis I just keep one liner notes in a small pocket notepad and update that via the computer when I have time.

Rob