Todays hunt results.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho said:
Nice shilling mate, citric acid seems to work well, will have to get some.
I was lucky there was some in the cupboard still from when there was some wizz fizz being made in the kitchen, so I had a ready supply on hand. :D
Thanks go out to Dj for that. ;)

Great idea on the citric acid dj indeed. I have a heap from lavender bath bomb making .. :8

You can make it ( some risks ) at home as well but I know safeway / wollies sells it on the shelf in the cakemix section.

Havinago said:
That shilling is tight :cool:
Didn't look so tight straight out of the ground though,... but it's potential to clean up ok was there in that first group shot of the coins I recon. :D
It was all in the vibe of it. :lol:

silver said:
Heatho said:
Nice shilling mate, citric acid seems to work well, will have to get some.
I was lucky there was some in the cupboard still from when there was some wizz fizz being made in the kitchen, so I had a ready supply on hand. :D
Thanks go out to Dj for that. ;)

Awesome tip from Dejan that one, just cleaned up a few of my silvers that were really bad and 5 out of 6 look brand new, just need to soak the other a bit longer, will put it in with the next batch. I gave them all a rub with bi-carb after the acid soak, works a real treat.

I tried a really bad old one in it and it made about a 30% difference towards clean from what it was ,... but, that's 30% more than what the CLR was able to accomplish beforehand,... still just sitting on the window sill again now for a while. :D

Greetings all. :D
Got out this morning for a quick park hunt with daughter,.. she reconed" NAH" and I said "what if its got money in it though" ;) ,... so she recons"OK". :D
1453719675_sam_5666.jpg

Daughter was excited by every coin,... with Mcdonnells Chocky Cone thoughts floating about on her mind. ;) :D :p :D :/ :p :D

Then later this arvo I finds myself next to the sea for a short while,... :p
1453719675_sam_5669.jpg

I got excited :eek: 8) :( for about 3/4 of a second during the ring retrieval(ha). :lol:

Nothing like a soft serve at the end of a successful hunt, sounds like you are training up your daughter to be a master detectorists. ;)

Those darn junker rings, kids should learn to wear the real stuff studded with expensive gems. :D

Australia Day arrived and it was a few degrees cooler than the whole previous week. We loaded the van up with essentials for a day out detecting and treasure hunting. Number 1 on the list was tea, milk, water and cups. Oh, and the kettle which Mr Moneybox left behind last time. And the cooker. 8) When that was taken care of in went the detectors, buckets, spades, gloves and other hunting paraphenalia.

We went to an old site dated from around 1915 - WWII which was just a couple of hours from home. We dived straight into it before it got too hot. Not even a cup of tea to start with :eek: . How would Mrs M ever survive?

There are two breeds of treasure hunter in our realm.... Mr M is an obsessed detectorist and Mrs M is a fanatical relic digger. Although, we do both indulge the others exploits as well. So, hat on, we started our own little hunts within coo-ee of each other and it wasnt long before we both had some nice treasure finds.

Amongst them were 3 different Aussie coins found by Mr M and some lovely bottles dug up by Mrs M. The blue one cracked later, sadly, but the green one is the fave. We believe it is a rare 1919 perfume bottle and maybe, just maybe, it was owned by the same person who dropped the 1919 half penny. Imagination is everything, isnt it?! ;)

1454054831_p9230003.jpg

1454054899_dscn5284.jpg

1454054934_dscn5248.jpg

1454055599_dscn5256.jpg

So, it was a very happy Australia Day hunt for us. :D

Good stuff Mr M & Mrs M .
Sounds like a top day out ( even without a cuppa to kick off ) Did Mrs M survive without , or did Mrs M sneak back while you were not looking :lol:
Gee,s them cobolt blue bottle,s look awesome .

Mrs M sure loves her bottles, pity about the blue one cracking, as it has a very nice colour to it. I do really like the small green one, especially the shape of it.

You must have a decent old collection of bottles now after the trip around Oz, do you display all of them?

Well done on the coins too, I gather the GMT found them? :)

Some really nice old bottles there MB,.. love em all, but the bower bird in me just loves blue glass (cracks and all). :p
That 1942s thrippy came up looking nice too. :D
Top job by the both of you ! :D

Latest posts