Todays hunt results.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldtarget said:
I like the way your thinking.....gave mine a fry pan once for Xmas, turned out badly. Now I just wing it. Although I suspect it's not original my mate recanted the following excerpt this year. I asked him what he got his Mrs for Xmas. His reply....a cup of coffee. Seeing the puzzled look on my face he proceeded to explain. He said Yer every time a recieved some amorous attention from her a put away a dollar in a jar to buy her a Xmas present. Turns out the coffee was all I could afford :p
HA HA HA now that's gold,pardon the pun,lol best thing ive heard in a long time, quote of the month

Well I'm gunna put in my two cents worth today. :lol:
And here it is.( definitely 2c under all that crud ).
1452220948_sam_5433.jpg

After a good hammering you can see that I was correct.(gentle though,... even on a 2c I still can't help myself ). :/
1452220949_sam_5435.jpg

Been in the ground nearly that long too I recon.
1452220949_sam_5438.jpg

good thing about it all is that there was this really nice signal still there ;) ,.... in the middle of a tree root :eek: and it's sounding all high tone Ding ding dingin real nice too :p :p :p ,.... so of course I've gotta go back now,... as soon as I can,.... before someone else gets onto it and reefs it right out of the ground ( and my hands :eek: ) ( ha ). :D

Don't you just love the anticipation of digging a target for under tree roots. :p

Not all that fond of root beer pulls though. :mad:

I thought I could feel it at one stage Wally,.. even Mrs S turned up and had a quick dig for it with me ( with a stick ) ,... have wood chisel , will travel,... lunch time first, then all tuckered up I'll give it a go,.... I'll take the camera with me. This one has gotta be silver. :D

I had a signal like that wedged under a thick tree root one time, took me half an hour to get it out, glad I did as it was my first gold ring. Hope yours is gold too Silver. :)

Too much ding ding dinging ( high tone ) to be gold Heatho !
Got it in my hands now too.
photos to follow. ;) :D

Well here we go,... it's no video sorry, just still shots.
tools of the trade for an under/in-between root retrieval.
1452240531_sam_5449.jpg

This is how it looked when I got back to it ( still camoed up ).
1452240613_sam_5441.jpg

So the signal was in under this root.
1452240690_sam_5443.jpg

So I spooned out all the soft dirt from when Mrs Silver and I had our first go at it with the digger and sticks.
1452240691_sam_5448.jpg

This is the right hand side hole where the signal could be heard from just under the top root somewhere.
1452240860_sam_5450.jpg

So I removed a bit of lower cross root and a piece of the bottom side of the main top root.
1452240860_sam_5455.jpg

so when I removed the bit of root the coin must have dropped to the bottom of the hole
1452240861_sam_5456.jpg

There it is down in the bottom of the hole.
1452241063_sam_5457.jpg

And here it is,.... a threepence.
1452241064_sam_5459.jpg

And here's the hole when I've finished with it and returned it to its normal state.
1452241064_sam_5461.jpg

And the 3d cleaned up a bit and sitting on the root,... 1943, aahhhhh.
1452241065_sam_5463.jpg

Mind you I did find one other coin this afternoon,... just under the surface too,... 1944 3d.
1452241340_sam_5471.jpg

Nice to go out and only get two coins and both of them being silver.
I'm calling the 2c hunt earlier a separate one ( makes me feel good,.. ha ). ;) :lol: :D

Thanks fellas,.... couldn't let it sit over night at all,.... I'd a lost a lotta sleep over that little 3d I recon, and the bonus one was great too, I recon the wet ground and jewellery mode made that one come out of ground I've flogged( as has everyman and his jack russel ),... must have been a little tiny patch that I'd skipped every time before for that 1944 3d(probably the way I'd walked the walk each time the same). :D
Mine now though,.... won't matter who swings what coil on whichever machine over that tiny patch now(ha). :lol:
Probably a whole level of deeper ones though(just out of range). :eek:

AtomRat said:
Great posts silver and cheers for the photos for reference :)
And they say money ddon't grow on trees...
It's not always coming up roses with it AR,... but yeah, as you can see it wasn't really all that deep, the most important thing really is to respect the tree and do as little/if any damage as possible,... and make sure that when you are finished the area looks pristine to the untrained eye(and the target is in your hand). A lot of work to do for a dud target though,.. and any newbie should be sure to fully train themselves up first and understand their machine to the nth degree before even contemplating a root retrieval of any sort at all, as too much damage would be caused unnecessarily to a tree in perfect health in the attempt to retrieve multiple pull tabs at the one time from the same tree,... it would be catastrophic to the health of the tree for someone to just rip in all around it at the one time in pursuit of junk targets,.... even though I have dug out junk targets in my few videos about tree roots,... they were spread out over different trees, and the trees left to recuperate from any minor invasive retrieval,... The area directly above a root is maintained by that root, and any total damage to a root will have a negative impact on the overall health of the area above it, especially if the root is a major one,... we must remember that trees are foragers for food and treat them well, after all, we do enjoy their oxygen and shade. :D
I'm not aiming this at you at all AR :D ,... but you did supply the platform for a good informative answer for the good of all( thanks). ;)

Goldpick said:
Got to give you points for dedication Silver, if it were me it would still be sitting under that root. :D
Had to show it to a few onlookers at the park Gp,.... one of them asked if they could have it,... I had to politely decline for personal reasons(not the least that it was me that slogged my guts out not him).
I don't normally dig the roots,... just that daughter and I were waiting for mum at that park I'd done to death over the years(with all the waiting and all),... and there certainly is only very limited activity left to clock up on the scoreboard at that particular little spot.
Been a darn good giver to me over a very long period of time though,.... just taking my time,... no one else on the scene,.. yada yada yada(ha),.... except all the other guys that give up too easily,..... all these years on and I'm still cleaning up ancient rubbish on the surface(sometimes they just throw it down and leave it there,... believe me I know). :lol: :D

Latest posts