Todays hunt results.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happens with $1 & $2 coins as well if they are very shallow,... gives an overload type signal that is confused with those old crushed screw tops and so are sometimes overlooked,.. the 6d was approached from a different angle this time, and I have been searching old spots of mine in coin mode lately to go back over a few old hot spots that gave up some past silver to me to pick up a few 3ds that I probably missed,... alternatively it could have been missed completely lots of times between sweeps.

I will have to try those settings on my Ace 250 for the wet sand. Didn't know you could use the 250 on wet sand!!!

Geelongirl said:
I will have to try those settings on my Ace 250 for the wet sand. Didn't know you could use the 250 on wet sand!!!

Gday GG if it's fresh water wet sand you should be able to crank it right up(sensitivity),.. unless there is a lot of mineralisation.
Start at page 1 of this thread and work your way through and you should pick up a few more pointers as well.

GG for Salt Water, turn the sensitivity down to 4 bars,.. and trust the machine to do the work,... just go steady and pretend that the coil is smaller in relation to sweep overlap.

Darn,.. couldn't upload the video to U-tube,... 2000+ minutes to upload would chew up all the internet there is left,... postponed until up.

silver said:
Happens with $1 & $2 coins as well if they are very shallow,... gives an overload type signal that is confused with those old crushed screw tops and so are sometimes overlooked,.. the 6d was approached from a different angle this time, and I have been searching old spots of mine in coin mode lately to go back over a few old hot spots that gave up some past silver to me to pick up a few 3ds that I probably missed,... alternatively it could have been missed completely lots of times between sweeps.

I hear that loud and clear. Funny how when you spend a bit more time after hitting the obvious ones you can still pull some nice targets that don't fall into a defined category (tone or id) I tend to go into the ground on high signals then follow up on solid tones. Sure you get the can slaw screw tops and non ferrous whatever but I can also attest to pulling silvers, deep BBs, shallow goldies with an up and down orientation, and most importantly jewelery that didn't register as you might expect (chains and earrings esp). That last 20% can be mighty interesting. Great discussion.

Goldtarget said:
silver said:

I hear that loud and clear. Funny how when you spend a bit more time after hitting the obvious ones you can still pull some nice targets that don't fall into a defined category (tone or id) I tend to go into the ground on high signals then follow up on solid tones. Sure you get the can slaw screw tops and non ferrous whatever but I can also attest to pulling silvers, deep BBs, shallow goldies with an up and down orientation, and most importantly jewelery that didn't register as you might expect (chains and earrings esp). That last 20% can be mighty interesting. Great discussion.

I hear you there brother,.... there have been a few times when I have back tracked a bit because of a nagging signal that I wouldn't normally dig(just that the signal under scan was so nice sounding) to find a gold ring looking up at me.
I think that over time you get to know those signals, and they give you a bit of a heads up if you can perceive them at the time.

I have a bit of catching up to do with my posts,... here is a hunt from little while back( after 12th of may)
1433083097_sam_0855.jpg

here are the silvers.
(and that's an old scratch in the photo below,... just glad it wasn't me.)
1433083098_sam_0856.jpg

1433083098_sam_0857.jpg

1433083191_sam_0858.jpg

1433083192_sam_0859.jpg

1917 shilling.
1433083192_sam_0860.jpg

still waiting to upload that video,... tried a few times since the 12th of may but no luck on the internet side of things,... the 1000+ hours wait for the upload to YouTube was what was going to kill it for me.

Thanks Heatho, I recon anything with a sharp looking star has a good chance as long as it doesn't sustain damage during retrieval ,... I hate those fine scratches that can happen on a silver coin if there is sand in the soil and the coin slips across it under pressure.
Heatho said:
That 1950 looks like it was minted yesterday, nice finds Silver.

Is that a die fault on the '62 or did the kangaroo shite itself when it saw daylight for the first time in 50 years?

If it's shite wally, it's 50% silver shite,... just had a look again and it's a solid silver lump in between its feet, made when the coin was struck.
Wally69 said:
Is that a die fault on the '62 or did the kangaroo shite itself when it saw daylight for the first time in 50 years?

A good variety of coins on that hunt silver, the poor old 1946 6p has seen better days, but that 1926 one is definitely a keeper. :)

Wally69 said:

While quite a few 3p's have die cracks and faults, likely due to the thinner coins, I believe that there are less in the 6ps, so a collector of varieties may be interested in that 6ps.

Rob.

I like the way that the 1946 6d turned out to be another Florin GP,... that made my day.
Goldpick said:
A good variety of coins on that hunt silver, the poor old 1946 6p has seen better days, but that 1926 one is definitely a keeper. :)

Another hunt since the 12th of may.
1433139835_sam_0882.jpg

1433139835_sam_0888.jpg

The 1917 Threepence cleaned up fairly well.
1433139835_sam_0889.jpg

1433139836_sam_0890.jpg

1921 Sixpence, luckily it is only worth melt value,... can't believe I scratched it like T H A T.
1433139836_sam_0891.jpg

Latest posts