Today I Saw a Native Animal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hippyhunter said:
Hard Luck said:
Yeah. They tend to have pretty sticky webs. I now know what to expect when I find their webs. At least they are docile,not like those whitetails that run around everywhere once disturbed.

What i have observed with redbacks is the bigger sized ones (maybee female?) Are dosile or try to hide when disturbed.
The smaller/mid sozed ones (males?) Are aggressive/go nuts running around.

Between redbacks and white tails i would rather the redbacks peraonally as they usually keep out of our way, whereas whitetails can be anywhere :8

Simple reason for that, redbacks make a web and wait for their prey, white tails are a hunting spider and will travel looking for prey.

Occasional_panner said:
hippyhunter said:
Hard Luck said:
Yeah. They tend to have pretty sticky webs. I now know what to expect when I find their webs. At least they are docile,not like those whitetails that run around everywhere once disturbed.

What i have observed with redbacks is the bigger sized ones (maybee female?) Are dosile or try to hide when disturbed.
The smaller/mid sozed ones (males?) Are aggressive/go nuts running around.

Between redbacks and white tails i would rather the redbacks peraonally as they usually keep out of our way, whereas whitetails can be anywhere :8

Simple reason for that, redbacks make a web and wait for their prey, white tails are a hunting spider and will travel looking for prey.

Would be interesting to see a whitetail hunt another spider. whitetails dont spin webs, but they kill spiders on the prey spiders home web.

Mike678 said:
Was living in a rough camp and my bed was resting on 4 x 20 lt. drums . When I moved out 6 months later , I was surprised to find about 20 red back spiders under my bed !!!
I got up one morning to find a very large squashed scorpion under my bottom bed sheet in my Namibian caravan, Namibian scorpions can kill people.

https://www.facebook.com/waschmid/videos/10106287660250581/

Scorpions kill more than 3,000 people every year.
1606823782_scorpion.jpg

I was about to rip into you RM outback then i had a read of the post. I am fairly sure that Clancy did the native wild life a favour.

Everything living on this planet survives by killing and eating some other living thing.

We are the worst offenders.
Everything on this planet survived very well until we came along and now we have almost driven all creatures to extinction....And yet there are those who think a fox and a cat etc have no right to life.

Are you suggesting man is the only cause of extinction. What about ice ages, volcanoes, non human induced climate changes, etc. Introduced species such as foxes, cats, camels, horses, wild dogs etc cause irreparable damage to our native species numbers through either predation or habitat damage.

Adrian ss said:
Everything living on this planet survives by killing and eating some other living thing.

We are the worst offenders.
Everything on this planet survived very well until we came along and now we have almost driven all creatures to extinction....And yet there are those who think a fox and a cat etc have no right to life.

I can see this is going to go downhill fast. :N:

Cheers

Doug

Not an animal, but a native that I saved... This little guy was separated from his parents and I adopted him. He couldn't fly yet and stayed with us for a few weeks, then two maggies showed up the day he took his first flight - and took him away! Not sure if they were his parents, but he went off with them. Then he came back a few months later to say hi and had a quick feed.

1617360853_maggie_2.jpg

1617361001_maggie_3.jpg

Cheers,
Megsy

Just up the road from Coober Pedy. About 150 k's north. Pulled over to roll a smoke, heard a noise and this drongo was just about sticking it's head through the window. I yelled so hard as it startled the shyte out of me and it took off.
Then it decided to run alongside me for a while as I was slowly driving at about 40 kph. Pretty impressive the speed they can run at.
Floored it and left it behind after a few hundred meters.

1617393878_20171230_131728_1.jpg

Latest posts