Tibooburra GPX 5000 detector settings and coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday Prospectors,

I am heading to Tibooburra for a swing next week and was chasing some common detector GPX 5000 detector settings for the area.

Also interested to know which coils to use. I will definitely be taking the 8" Mono.

Any suggestions on places to go would be much appreciated as well.

:D :D

8" mono, I was able to run mine clean and smooth at RX gain of 14-16 and stab around 10. Focus on the old drywasher piles and washaways. Go ridiculously slow, I was aiming for about 3-4 swings per 8" advancement.

The bits are small, you have to have your ears switched on!

10246800_10202456952039735_7420534944181159860_n.jpg

These bits came from the common, if you head south from town and take the first right after you cross the grid in that section between that road and the Cameron Corner Rd gave up some bits, and the other bits came from the common opposite the Dead Horse Gully turn off.

Dean_Hamilton ... I have to aggree with Ben .. I have had two trips to Tibooburra 2 x a little over a week each time .. Took out my 5000 for the first time .... paid $10 a day per detector to detect on Mark Black's land ... he owns most the land around Tib" for something like 20 Km including the Easter Monday diggings ... never found a thing while on his land .. only ran into one person during my stay that showed me several sub grammers (6) he had found .. he had been there for a week.. sun up to sun down.

For two days thinking it must be my settings ( factory presets ) that were messed up, I asked around ... guided by the self professed GPX guru's who recalibrated every selection on my detector I went out with new settings to try again .. no gold .. oddly enough non of the guru's managed to find anything themselves over the week.. on my last day after all the gurus had departed I reset the factory presets I went out onto the common... at the end of the day I had 4 sub grammers in my hand.
Two weeks later I went back to Tib for another fossick... tried again on Mark's land = nothing .... the rest of the time I stayed on the common and when I left I had another 7 sub grammers.

Summary : Start with your factory presets and Special - Fine gold timing... thereafter experiment ... and it is good to have a small piece of gold to test / practice with .... I used a Commander 11" mono loop but now would consider using a smaller mono loop on my next trip.

P.S. .. it does not cost to detect on the common which is a hugh area.

Cheers peter.

Hi Dean - I'm not long back from Tib.
I found the ground fairly benign so default settings should be fine although there are the occasional tricky bits of ground. There does not seem to be much left on The Common (at least in areas where I looked) but two properties allow detectorists - Gumvale and Mt Stuart Stn (new owner now that Mark Black has moved on) for $10 per day per detector. Gold is small although I saw a pic that was taken last year of a nugget of several ounces that was supposed to have come from Tib.
Go to TJs (the road house at the south end of town) and ask for the latest info and contact details for the station leaseholders. TJs also own the caravan park in the town itself.
Good luck and make sure you take fly nets.

Edit - forgot to mention, there are Exploration Lease Holders for both properties as well.

Detectist... First time I went to Tibooburra was in 1979.. the story told then was about this large nugget the size of a forearm that was found over there ( with a pointed finger towards the cemetry ) ... oddly ( LOL ) I heard almost the same story during my last adventures there about the large nugget found recently "over there", but to top it off I was also shown a photo of one of the recently found nuggets ... the photo had lovely rounded corners, a classic 4x4 inch which went out of style mid eightee's it even had fading colours .. sometimes its hard to find that path between truth and tourism.

As the saying goes... take it or leave it ... I choose to take it because I love the beauty of this lovely country and to witness the endurance from our past.

Cheers

Good post Dreamwalking. I also like the country and would go up there even if the gold is not so many multi-multi-ounced!

Latest posts