the speckie in the mine heap

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah i caught that cheers nugget hopefully i come home with a pan full of colour :lol:

I get most nuggets on top, look for the lighter coloured clayey material that was last to come out of the hole. A lot of nuggets are also close to the edge of the hole.

DD

mbasko said:
Have been interested in this myself & so far have been told when detecting to work downslope of the shafts/mullock heaps (which makes sense re: gravity) & the oldtimers would put their waste here to stop it going back in their hole (again makes sense). I was going to try panning some myself soon & was thinking of sampling the lower downslope areas. If there is a lot of clay though any gold could be suspended/trapped so I would sample a few different areas?

ive found if its mainy rock and not much clay i find a spot that is mainly gravel or dirt once ive found that i pan it but ive found gold at the verry tops of the heaps and in the middle and at the bottum so it dosen't really matter where you sample from it depends on how rich the mine was and what the old timers chucked out ;)

Latest posts