the speckie in the mine heap

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:D :) went out with some mates a few weeks ago to these old mine and they Detected the mine heaps with there Detectors and found some nails bullets a peace of steel and a old rail way track lol and i was looking with my eyes and i saw this verry shiney peace of quartz in the sunlight and so i picked it up and it was gold so i showed the others and they diden't belive me that i found it thet said you planted that i said how did i plant it if i came up here with no gold in my pocket :cool:

Did they air test it after you found it?
Just interested in what different detectors will do/find. :) I'm pretty sure the GMT would have signalled if it went over it.
Seen the others you have for sale - nice collection. All hand picked?

mbasko said:
Did they air test it after you found it?
Just interested in what different detectors will do/find. :) I'm pretty sure the GMT would have signalled if it went over it.
Seen the others you have for sale - nice collection. All hand picked?

yep all found without a Detector and yes did the air trick with the garret at pro and yep it pick it up but just barely it is as small as the echidnas nose on the 5 cents it also picks up the iron in your blood don't ask me how it dose that but it dose :eek:

Hunting the yellow said:
yep all found without a Detector

Wow you have some good eyes! 8)
Don't know that the detector would be picking up iron in the blood but mine is sensitive enough to signal on the salts in my hands so always use a plastic scoop.

Hunting the yellow said:
yep all found without a Detector and yes did the air trick with the garret at pro and yep it pick it up but just barely it is as small as the echidnas nose on the 5 cents it also picks up the iron in your blood don't ask me how it dose that but it dose :eek:

So THAT'S why my hand keeps setting off the detector! Was starting to think either my machine was faulty or i had gold running through me veins :lol:

Its not iron its mineral salts in the skin. Iron in your body is in compound form small enough to be in the hemoglobin molecules not actual bits of iron floating around your body. If it was in large enough quantities to set of a metal detector you would be quite ill & possibly have hemachromatosis or something.

Either way at least my metal detector ain't faulty and i no longer need to listen to that voice in the back of me head sayin "REFINE THE BLOOD!" :lol:

:lol: don't refine those metals out ya need them.
My user manual for the GMT even talks about salts in the skin setting it off & recommends always using a plastic scoop to isolate targets & eliminate any falsing from the salts. Some people are more prone to it than others but I know my hands always get some signalling when near the coil.

So does anyone know the best area of a mine heap to work when panning? Top or bottom?

Have been interested in this myself & so far have been told when detecting to work downslope of the shafts/mullock heaps (which makes sense re: gravity) & the oldtimers would put their waste here to stop it going back in their hole (again makes sense). I was going to try panning some myself soon & was thinking of sampling the lower downslope areas. If there is a lot of clay though any gold could be suspended/trapped so I would sample a few different areas?

Latest posts