The issues of quitting smoking

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wolfau said:
Imagine the extra prospecting gear you can buy with the money you save :lol:

Wolfau,
so you have never met me yet.

"Imagine the extra prospecting gear you can buy with the money you save"

When you see how much prospecting equipment I already have.......that would be a good reason to keep smoking.

just talk to Goldrocs, WalnLiz, Headbut, Headsup, Gavfromoz, Nugget, Hereskip, Dozer, ChrisM, who have I forgotten.

if you forgot to bring some equipment I usually have about 6 spares on board.....just in case.
cheers.

If it wasn't for all the extras you carry Smithy, we would be in big trouble. Stay focused and you will finally quit. I have been trying to quit since January. The occasional cigarette here and there but the gap is getting longer each day. Maybe we can celebrate finally giving up over a bottle or two of honey :D

Nothing better than watching the sunset over the goldfields, having a tinnie and watching the electronic cigarettes you bought burning in the campfire because they are crap, while lighting up a real durry.

thesmithy said:
Now day 9 has started.
I have not the slightest interest in smoking anymore.
I have gone Cold Turkey
no cravings.
pretty Happy now that I have a bigger and better view on life.

I have pleaded with my neighbor to put the 10m ladder up againt the power pole so I can come down for an apple.
Norm said just a couple more days to be sure.

I asked him to have 2 shovels ready when I get down.
Why he asked ?
So I can help you dig your own grave plot.

forget the ladder mate i sneaked up there and cut 5 feet off it just to do your head in when your neighbour leans it up against the pole

you will be up there for a week more yet.

i would throw more apples up there but i am too worried that some kind of cr@@p might fall on my head if i stand too close :cool:

I have a long memory, remember the curry my friend, well I am still remembering it.

give me the recipe for a night time version.
something that is regulated to around 10 farts per hr that will not make my eyes water.

And yes standing under my pole is not a good idea at present.......have you ever heard of apple sauce from a squirt bottle........get my drift......?

thesmithy said:
I have a long memory, remember the curry my friend, well I am still remembering it.

give me the recipe for a night time version.
something that is regulated to around 10 farts per hr that will not make my eyes water.

And yes standing under my pole is not a good idea at present.......have you ever heard of apple sauce from a squirt bottle........get my drift......?

sorry about the curry i gave you at location Sierra Echo Charlie Romeo Echo Tango One ...... really quite poor OHS diagnostics there on my part.

best advice i can give is to keep your window open to prevent oxygen deprivation and keep a gas detector on automatic alarm mode in case the O2 drops below 19 % or so

gotta keep it work safe buddy

Over and out

Delta Kilo One

What's the update Smithy?
I haven't had a smoke for about a month now and a month prior to this I was having 1 or 2 a day
I had a bit of help though, I have been taking Champix which for me took the cravings away completely.
They say the side effects from this drug can be considerable as my wife found out but I had none at all.
I feel heaps better and I'm saving 30 to 40 bucks a day!

I havnt smoked for about 2 years and before then I got down to buying a pouch when we went camping' I don't miss smoking at all and it stinks! But I do miss the smell of fresh tobacco and sitting around the campfire rolling one up' now with that said'
3 beers to all out there that have a strong enough will to shake the filthy habit and make every breath a fresh one'

I quit smoking 10 years ago in March 2004. Have had the odd one, being adventurous, and honestly ashtray mouth is my biggest put off. Then have someone kiss you who smokes not great either.. eeewwww. Did a workout at a gym in Townsville after one, nearly killed me! Havent touched one since. Don't miss it. When I started smoking cigarettes could be purchased still in QLD by a 15 year old, that pack of John Players, how I hate you. I m 40 this year.

'Tis bloody hard to kick habits - i had my last smoke 35 years ago however even now after a few drinks i still find my self falling to the old stimuli..... but i'm still clean :D

oddly, sucking on a straw works to quell the craving for yet another year.

casper

Hey all
3 months 21 days smoke free, 111 days.
weight gain 12 extra kgs. Just can't stop eating
Health:
Not good......contracted Ross River Fever not long after giving up the smokes.
I would not wish this virus on my worst enemy it is so debilitating.
I have been to hell and back my friends.
I have been traveling down a very dark road the last few weeks was not looking good.
I am sorry for not contacting all my good mates who have left me messages constantly.
on top of everything else I received a kick from one of my clients horses in the leg. Pretty serious damage now.
Blood clot.....hematoma below the knee.....still can't walk properly.....just not healing.
Now only just getting over a nasty chest infection.

This has been the toughest 3 months that I can remember.
For all that know me I never take a backward step.....ever. I faltered recently and started to feel sorry for myself.
Seriously I nearly chucked it in. (I am not talking smoking) It was becoming too much the constant pain.....feeling sick all the time. Joints always aching......the rash on my face...Depression......it all goes with the virus.
Real men don't cry........BULL S#IT THEY DON'T.
One of my crew at the Fire Station pulled me up and said whats up mate we are a bit worried They had all noticed all was not right in my camp. The full story doesn't matter the rest is history now great support expert medical treatment.
All supported by Fire & Rescue NSW.
I am just glad that someone noticed sooner than later and acted.
TheSmithy

Glad to hear you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, especially when one thing after another in life just keeps dragging you back down. Depression and can be a dangerous deep dark hole which is very hard to escape from. Thankfully you are surrounded by good people looking out for you, it can be a hard thing to deal with by yourself.

I too have been struggling in that area, being unemployed for a long period of time after being continually employed for over 20 years, and then being diagnosed with diabetes on top of that (in the family unfortunately). Some days it is a struggle to just get out of bed and face the world, it really is a mental roller coaster, one day fine, the next you just fall in a heap. :|

My detecting has really been my saviour - something to keep my mind going, something to look forward to, and best of all, keeps me active.

Unfortunately I still smoke, and I enjoy it occasionally. I can go without cigarettes for periods of time and not go nutty like some people, usually when away at work. Also thought of trying out e-cigarettes with non-nicotine flavoured liquids, gave them a try at a local seller and quite enjoyed it. At least it takes care of the habit side of things, and a lot cheaper than the real thing.

I don't drink anymore, so that's a good thing - got that out of my system in my youth thankfully. :)

Thesmithy, Holy crap mate! You have had one hell of a bad run. Makes my few problems look petty. Hope all sorts it self out real quick for you.

I gave up smoking 8 years ago. I put on heaps of weight as well but still feel better for it. Don't cough every morning like I was and even with the extra weight I am less out of breath then I was back then as well. I was a 2 pack a day smoker for many years.

Goldpick, I know a few people who use the ecig's and swear by them.

After 2 years of not smoking I rewarded myself and bought a new Motorbike. Something to focus on and keep me on the right path.

Cliff

Hello Smithy,

Mate only just read your thread and your last post. Biggest step is accepting help. Keep your chin mate and my thoughts are with you.

Stay strong.

Regards

Lambi

Hello all,

This thread has raised awareness that Depression is very real and a serious illness and left untreated can have very negative impacts on your life.

It's a very big step to seek help or just talk to anyone and open up. Whatever steps you take, you should always talk to a Doctor. Don't think you need to do the struggles alone, there is many people or organisations that can help you.
Hardest part is asking.

Recovery can take time, more importantly we are all different and our recoveries will be different. Be strong and be patient.

To all the guys or girls sharing your stories on here, good on you. It's a big step. I wish you all well in your recoveries, just remember you don't need to be alone.

Regards

Lambi

Latest posts