The issues of quitting smoking

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang in there and if you feel like a smoke have
a glass of water instead.

Imagine how healthy your body will become
within months of actually quitting.

With the money saved you will be able to
Buy some extra gear.

Good luck with it.

I too quite a while back for 5 years and then stupidly got caught with the old yeah I'll have one I can handle it. Slowly it became an addiction again. One here one there and then bang you are buying smokes because you don't want to bum off anyone.

The first time was on holidays I knew I had about 2 weeks away from my mate smokers. I used patches and found they really helped. I have tried a few times since with not much success. It would be about 3-4 days and then bang I really wanted one. I have found some success with the Nicorette inhalers as they keep the hands busy. Especially in the car while driving etc...

My next plan is set a date, a few weeks before cut down nicotine mg again. Go to the inhaler and try some of the spray as well. I am not heavy perhaps 5-10 a day but breaking even those is really hard.

I would also suggest that once you think you are clear DO NOT think that just one will be ok, from my experience one turns to two and so on. Best of luck :)

cold turkey never worked for me.. i went batshit crazy when i tried to stop like that.

what worked for me is a prescription drug called Champix. you can get a course of it (3 months) subsidised heavily by medicare.. you smoke during the first 2 weeks while on it then stop and the cravings for me were non existent (thanks to the champix). there is also a natural version of it produced in europe.. i forget the name of it now though

your other option is to use the vaporisers.. at the very least you are not taking in the carbon monoxide .. you can buy the vaporisers here in australia.. but the nicoteen liquid can be legally imported from overseas (as its illegal to sell that here).

for the average smoker.. it takes just 6 days for your body to be free of nicoteen.. the mental aspects of the addiction can be combatted with a strict practise of replacing the habit of smoking with something else.. like squeezing a stress ball.

hope you beat the addiction

It's been twenty plus years since I decided to become a NON SMOKER, cold turkey was the order of the day and far cheaper then anything else I could force down my throat.
As a smoker, people see quitting as having a huge fence over the top of a massive mountain with the steepest of cliffs, and they needing to go off on some huge arduous expedition just to get near that hardest of fences to breach.
When you become a NON SMOKER and look back from the other side of the fence, it is amazing to see that it was just one of those short one foot garden picket fences on totally flat ground and that we could have stepped over anytime we wanted too.
I DID IT !!!

And you can do it too.

FEEL EMPOWERED BY PEOPLE WHO SAY "YOU CAN DO IT TOO " !!!

Thanks people,
I have it licked as once I make a decision I make a decision.

The problem I had with Smoking was to do with my old deceased Dad.
A very tough old Blacksmith.

HE WOULD CONSTANTLY SAY TO ME DON'T BE A QUITTER.

So for 58 years I followed his wishes.
Cheers
TheSmithy

I started smoking when I was under 10, I made my 1st attempt to give up at 39(30 years sucking the smoke), 5 years ago. I smoked the normal 40 smokes the day I gave up stuck some patches on , not had ones since, I sit with smokers since day 1 still do. I did notice I drink more beer since I'm not outside smoking beer a good thing . even after 5 years on the odd time I get a urge to light up but they go quick :)

Giving up the fags is really hard, for sure. I got off the fags about 36 yrs ago, but not before I'd tried at least a dozen times. And COLD TURKEY is just madness [good if you can stand it] so I just tried to put 1 day together with another, and another and another, and so on. When I truly couldn't stand it any longer, I'd have a fag. Now that wasn't a defeat. That was putting into perspective that I'd had ONE fag in say 10 days. Then I would start again putting one day together with the next. Soon one became two, five became ten, and one year became 5. By the time I had stopped smoking I had been doing it for probably 25yrs.....a long time to break a habit. But it can be done so all you who want to try, start somewhere, and then HANG IN THERE, real hard.

All Power to you Smithy.
I have been crook for the past two weeks coughing my guts up with an upper respiratory infection. The doctor has me on antibiotics and an inhaler to help me breathe.
This I think is directly linked or made worse by smoking.
I started smoking at 13 and gave it away when I was 26 when I started training for racing NSW enduro titles. I found I couldn't train effectively while smoking. Gave it away cold turkey.
When I turned 40 I had a major medical issue and was told I had a good chance of dying and I think the stress of this news made me take it up again.
I'm now 55 and it's time to give it away, I'm sick of it.
I think you have given me the inspiration to kick it again.
Maybe we can feed off each others strengths.

Cheers
Mick

I was 6 years old and told I had to have on as well so that I wouldn't dob.

Stick with it Smithy mate, It'll be to best thing you ever do, I quit a few years ago after smoking from 14yr old haven't looked back I've even been known to exercise since:eek:

Good on yah mate

Cheers

C&L

Just think about this. I have yet to meet a smoker that does not want to quit.
If you need to take the edge of the craving, use the champix. It helped me to quit. Twice!
You will need to stop thinking about what you are missing because if you feel deprived of something instead of being happy to be free of the enslavement of tabaco you will not be able to do it. It is all in your head.
Good luck with it and don't feel deprived because at the end of the day the cigs do nothing for you except make you want another one which is a vicious circle. :)

I'm in the process of quitting as well. Best advice I was given was to purchase the 'BIBLE'......No not the religious one. It is called 'The easy way to stop smoking' by Allen Carr. It is not a book that tells you that smoking is bad and all that stuff. It actually gets into your head and makes you think about the reasons why you smoke and the reasons why you should stop smoking... Sounds crazy but it is working. Half way through it at the moment. You just need to have the mind set that you are ready to stop.

willo1 said:
I'm in the process of quitting as well. Best advice I was given was to purchase the 'BIBLE'......No not the religious one. It is called 'The easy way to stop smoking' by Allen Carr. It is not a book that tells you that smoking is bad and all that stuff. It actually gets into your head and makes you think about the reasons why you smoke and the reasons why you should stop smoking... Sounds crazy but it is working. Half way through it at the moment. You just need to have the mind set that you are ready to stop.

this book worked for my sister she literally never finished the book and quit. shes had the odd smoke at a party but never wants one the next day. 27 years she smoked a pack a day.

Yeah, that's similar to what everyone that I have spoken to about the book said. It just changed their thinking. It is changing mine and fast.

willo1 said:

I just ordered a copy.

I gave up with the help of champix, I liked the side effects of the champix they said nightmares were a side effect but I thought my dreams were awesome, nothing better than waking up in the morning thinking what the hell was just going on, i give the thumbs up for champix for a quitting aid

Now day 9 has started.
I have not the slightest interest in smoking anymore.
I have gone Cold Turkey
no cravings.
pretty Happy now that I have a bigger and better view on life.

I have pleaded with my neighbor to put the 10m ladder up againt the power pole so I can come down for an apple.
Norm said just a couple more days to be sure.

I asked him to have 2 shovels ready when I get down.
Why he asked ?
So I can help you dig your own grave plot.

Apples are bad for you anyway, too much sugar!

Good work cold turkey, keep going & buy Norm a beer next week when he finds the ladder. :)

Latest posts